Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Does Everything Christmas HAVE to be "Dusted with Glitter?

User
9 years ago

Just an early Christmas rant, folks. Everything out for Christmas this year is, again, "dusted with glitter"----even stuff that is meant to look homespun. I am so tired of it! Nutcrackers look like they're appearing in Vegas, twig birds' nests have eggs that look like they were laid by the golden goose, and even stockings manage to look disreputable.

I'm not against a little glitter where it actually improves a decoration, but over the past five years it seems that manufacturers of seasonal goods have decided that things won't sell without a little "bling." It cheapens so much of what it touches.....and leaves me wondering what the next trend in seasonal cheer will be. I hope it's not a swing of the pendulum to gray, Soviet-era, Restoration Hardware neutral. Where is there to go after glitter?

Rant over o

Comments (25)

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

... Not to mention the fact that you'll be cleaning that crap out of household (and other) crevices until well into April. ::sigh::

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I buy old Christmas stuff at yard sales and thrift stores. I prefer the old styles anyway and it's lot cheaper!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Glitter is bad enough, but do stores have to have Christmas music blaring already?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Hoovb, of course they do! Halloween is over.

Kswl, I kwym, and I rant right along with you. I think I'm still finding glitter on our stone hearth from last year's mantle decorations.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I try to avoid Walmart and the navy base stores this time of year. It takes the joy out of Thanksgiving and Christmas to go there. The people go nuts buying everything in sight. The sad thing is they probably have all of that stuff at home already! I don't need new stuff every year. I stock up and stay home and celebrate the holidays like they should be celebrated.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I like a bit of glitter, but I sympathize with your frustration.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I suspect that adding glitter is a cheap way of adding "pretty" to something when in fact most of it is ugly.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

My brother is an elementary school teacher. He says that when he rules the world he is outlawing glitter. I don't know his platform after that issue but it seems like he's on to something that would be popular with many people.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Check out IKEA or H&M.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

As an art teacher, I have a few projects for kids that involve huge amounts of glitter ( and the kids adore it) but I always feel a little apologetic for the inevitable outfall in the car and house!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Right there with you! BUT what I hate even more is that the darn glitter gets all over me! Whether it's spread throughout a store or a home(not mine!), I always end up with glitter on my face and clothes.
    Lynn

• madeyna
    9 years ago

DH and I were just complaining about the glitter thing. Its been so over done it now cheapens everything it touchs. A small amount was always a pleasant suprise. And of course the kids love to use it on thier stuff but now its everywhere.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm rooting for hhireno's brother to rule the world and outlaw glitter!

Good idea to go to IKEA for Christmas stuff, I haven't been there in years and haven't been near one at Christmas for several decades.

"I suspect that adding glitter is a cheap way of adding "pretty" to something when in fact most of it is ugly"
    With respect to Christmas ornaments, I agree!

Lilyfinch, in the less is really not more category, have you noticed that toilet paper rolls' width has contracted about an inch? When you put it on the holder you can see an inch of the roller thing it goes on. Same price, less tp.

Glitter was a permanent feature of my car for years bc of children's art projects, fun2be. I didn't mind it then, lol, just now that I've become older and more ornery :)

Zackey, I avoid Walmart like the plague. Always, not just at this time of year.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Haha! Lol! Although I am all about the glitter I found myself perusing simpler wooden stuff this year. But then I put it all back because I knew I could have Mr. Fox make a few pieces for me instead.

I just can't subject my family to all of that glitter.

• CindyLu52
    9 years ago

Glitter is so messy, but I purchased a beautiful large flower arrangement for my dining room to jazz it up for Christmas. It had some glitter on it, and it sparkled nicely under the chandelier. Within just a couple of days, it started shedding the glitter, and much to my dismay, it appeared to be tiny glass fragments that scratched my table! I was so upset. It went into the trash.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

There's only one thing more ubiquitous than xmas glitter....kitty litter! Ask me how I know!
    ;)

• lkplatow
    9 years ago

I was at Lowe's the other day looking for light cords for my Halloween blowmolds (which, of course, were being sold as light cords for Christmas village houses in the huge Christmas display they had up...in October, sigh.) I did notice that all of their standalone ornament displays seem to feature a more woodland/homespun kind of theme this year -- I am all about the glitter (and not apologetic about it!) so I was a little disappointed in the felted wool foxes and such. But if you are anti-glitter, I'd recommend checking out Lowe's this year. Better get there soon though -- I'm sure they're readying the Valentine's Day decor display as we speak!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, LKplatow, I have been haunting Lowes since mid October, looking for the beautiful pinecone ornaments Allison bought there last year. So far, nada--- and no felted anything at my Lowe's, either. But we have the decidedly "downscale" version of the store that goes in poor / rural areas. Maybe I will check in on one in Atlanta....I love felted anything.

Annie, what if they started adding glitter to litter,,,,

What a terrible result for your table, cindylu, and another in my list of what not to buy. Every year I see perfectly innocent live poinsettias tarted up with the addition of glitter and cannot understand why someone would try to jazz up a plant.

You're lucky to have Mr. Fox, the foxes pad! Both DH and I are very DIY challenged. I will gladly read a book on how to do anything, but am all thumbs when it comes to the actual execution of an idea. And let's just say DH is not allowed to use power tools ðÂÂÂ

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Avoid those holiday aisles. Happy to still be using family ornaments and decor from the 1940's.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Among other ornaments and décor, I use my grandmothers homemade ball ornaments of velvet and sequins. They are a little ornate for my taste, but do make a beautiful tree.

Last year, I saw an article about how to make glass glitter Christmas balls. The glitter is on the inside and the task was not messy at all. It was so much fun making them, that I am going to have my grandson (who will be 20 months old at Christmas time) help me this year. :) Otherwise, I despise glitter!

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 20:33

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Lowe's felted fox:

They have these pinecones online, kswl. Same company and size, look similar (I'd have to compare) but different colors this year:

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Same ornament. You know you can order online and pick up at stores and have them shipped to you from other locations far away.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 10:10

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Does anyone know why Christmas was started at Halloween this year? Are merchants starting early in case of a terrorist scare or do you think they just want the income that much sooner. Do merchants make more if the shopping season lasts longer or do people just spend the same regardless?

How do all the merchants know that it is to begin around Halloween? I've always wondered about these things.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Allison! I swung by Lowe's again yesterday evening and they still had nothing, and I forgot to check online!