Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queen_gardener

Help with making a wreath

queen_gardener
9 years ago

Hello all you wonderful, creative GW people!!! I'd like some ideas on what to do with this wire wreath thingy I bought a couple years ago. My original plan for this wreath failed, so I'm looking for ideas (with pics or links) on what to do with this, and instruction. I am crafty, but I have never made a wreath before. I want something Christmassy right now, originally I had bought a bunch of bells and ribbon for the wreath but since I didn't know what I was doing (not working from a pattern, not experienced with wreath making) the original idea didn't work out and I've used up most of those materials, I can buy more. But I would not be opposed to a really nice autumn wreath - autumn is my favorite season! Your suggestions are appreciated!!! Thanks!

Comments (18)

• maddielee
    9 years ago

There are tons of things you can do with a wire wreath form...from using artificial garland to cover it before adding your ornaments, to
    (this year's trend ) using burlap ribbon to make your autumn wreath.

Search Pinterest for 100s of ideas, search; "wire wreath form" .

Good luck.

ML

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I used to make pine cone wreaths rather than with greens. They last forever. Can be a little hard on the hands until you get the hang of it - and the results were quite lovely. Always went on a hunt for a pretty wide variety of different cones that weren't loaded with pitch and were easy to wire and work with... some types of spruce, pines, mugos, etc.

Here's a tutorial...

Here is a link that might be useful: pine cone wreath

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I was trying to do a ribbon and bells wreath two years ago, but I couldn't get the ribbon right - I don't know how people are wrapping it! I guess I'll have to head over to Pinterest, it's a time sink but I LOVE that site/app!!! I was hoping for ideas from all of you on GW. I do love pinecones, but I don't have as much access to them for free as I used to! If I can get enough together, I'll make one someday. I love those huge ones in Georgia, though they're a bit spiky!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

When I want to know how to do something, I google: ________ tutorial.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I do too, but I thought it would be easy! I've watched lots of craft shows, including Martha, read lots of craft books and magazines, stare at Pinterest for hours on end . . .

How about this:
    What would YOU do with this wire wreath form????????

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I'm not so crafty anymore, but there are some beauties made just with ornaments. Haven't looked into that tutorial -wise, but I suppose the main tool would be a hot glue gun and some real thought as to placement before gluing down. Great images on Google.

If I were of a mind, that's what I might attempt - I have ornaments galore that no longer find their way onto the tree and could be used. Years ago, my Mother made one using a few big bags of unshelled mixed nuts - frame was overlaid with burlap or cardboard to glue down the first course; then layer after layer of the nuts.

Fun to think about these things, but my decorating seems to get scaled back as each year progresses.

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

Every year I make my own green wreath with one of those forms. I wire little clumps of cut greens on the form then decorate however I wish. I sometimes trim our trees to get the greens, or pick them up at tree farms in the few days after Thanksgiving. (They often give them away.)

I like to select a base green, like Frazier fir, and then randomly place clumps of other greens such as boxwood, holly, and cedar.

Have fun!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I remember Sarah Richardson making a wreath with a form like that. She wrapped it first with lights and then covered it with feather boas.

• teacats
    9 years ago

How about something like this one??? You could do it for the fall season -- or for the winter season! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Burlap Wreath Tutorial

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooo, I love that boa one! I'd probably use LED lights, which hopefully are cooler.
    And I went to that site, Teacats, and I love the pumpkin one!
    Thank you for all the ideas, everyone! My only thing was getting that perfectly wrapped burlap base! I'll have to play around with it, I'm sure I can get it!
    Duluthinbloomz4, I have seen those ornament wreaths, maybe I should keep my eyes open for bulb ornaments at the thrift stores, but sometimes they get scratched up and broken, so that's why I haven't made one yet. I should just do it. And I love the nut wreath idea! That would be easy!
    Kimberly, my MIL uses greens from her yard but she has lots of evergreen trees and bushes, I don't. If there wasn't a local fundraiser involving evergreen wreaths, I'd totally be trying to pick up some free greens.
    I'm not trying to be difficult, but maybe I just am, LOL!!!! Just keep the ideas coming, thank you thank you!!!

What wreaths are you putting up???

Here is a link that might be useful:

• auntie_ellen boston
    9 years ago

I just saw one on pinterest made with drop cloths! You could use any fabric and could certainly add seasonal items.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neutral Fall Wreath

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I used to work at a garden center where one of the owners made fresh wreaths with a wire frame like that. All he did was take a fist full of fresh cut greens and hold it on the wire frame and wrap it tightly with green wire that came on a spool. Cover the stems of the first one with another fist full of greens and repeat. After he was all done, he would spread the greens out carefully to get them in a full form.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

The burlap wreaths are making a come back. Bet you can find several types of you google it. I would cut strips and tie them on, around each circle until full and fluffy.

• User
    9 years ago

Pam at retrorenovation has a good tutorial and a list of hints for "next time".

Here is a link that might be useful: ornament wreath

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

Google "mesh weath"

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I made my wreath!!! So proud!

• zzackey
    9 years ago

It's sure is pretty! It was alot of fun once you got going, wasn't it? :-)

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Totally! And it was a grocery store epiphany, lol!!! I saw that tinsel garland and it was already assembled like that in my mind, and I was able to create it exactly, a rare feat for me and it made me so happy!!!