Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trailrunnerbiker

light and shadow...please post your reflections

trailrunner
11 years ago

On the other thread about what your decorating says about you dody40 posted a list of tips to decorating. This one "

Layer # 7 is plants and lighting: Shadow is important to the mood of the room as the light that creates it." struck a chord with me as I love light and shadow and have the advantage of having some nice ones at different times of the day throughout the house.

Please take some pics over the next days and post your lights/shadows...with an explanation also if you will. I made mine into a slideshow so as not to fill the post too full. These are all from the DR/morning room this AM. c

Here is a link that might be useful: light and shadow...a study

Comments (45)

• los348
    11 years ago

This is probably not what you had in mind but this scene really intrigued me.
    Behind my house are two other houses. They are an equal distance apart and my house would be centered in that space (if you were looking down on the houses)

Several years ago, the house behind me on the left was being re-roofed, but because of the light refraction (it had been raining) on my greenhouse kitchen window, the re-roofing appeared to be being done on the house on the right!

• nhb22
    11 years ago

Thanksgiving arrangement on my dining room table with afternoon sun streaming in. Sorry that the photo is so grainy. Cell phone pic.

• nhb22
    11 years ago

Here is another view from the top.

• nhb22
    11 years ago

Mums on back patio

• nhb22
    11 years ago

Sun setting on back patio

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Trailrunner, what great lights and shadows-- and beautiful surfaces for them.

I just realized that this is why I havent "bonded" with my current house (and a few other reasons). I had amazing light at my last house--in the house and on the property. The new house isnt going to be as great as the last-- but I've already seen that it's much better and I know it will make me happy as my place becomes my home.

Thank you for the smiles!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow...just wow...los..what an amazing eye you have...I am so glad you posted ! I love that reflection and the story...so nice,

newhome...great pics and beautiful flowers. You have a gorgeous view as I remember out over your property . I hope more will post. I have taken some more shots ...will post .

thank you both for participating. Maybe should have done this after the chaos of holiday...but the light and inspiration won't wait.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lace in a blue bowl:

smoke in a vase :

why I don't get up some mornings...

windows in bedroom :

DR table :

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow or this weekend.

Funky, are you familiar with the natural lighting in your new home all year round? I ask because when we added-on and our house ended up facing north instead of east, (this was winter) I was so upset because it meant I'd need to plant shade loving plants only.

By March, the whole north flowerbed got sun all.day.long! We don't get a drop of sun from the south in the winter.

This is the only time of the year where the sun shines almost all the rooms. My houseplants are thriving and blooming! lol

So you may end up liking the natural light afterall!

• Sandy1963
    11 years ago

Thanksgiving Day morning sun in my living room, through the blinds.

• cliff_and_joann
    11 years ago

This is a fun thread with lots of pretty photos.

Our Koi 'Silver' whose reflection looks like an
    American Airline Jet in the sky.

our first koi Sunny, He's fifteen years old.

The lone water lily.

• indygo
    11 years ago

What a great thread! It makes you look for the light and shadow all around you. I love the photo of the light through the curtains.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oakley, I can hardly wait to see what you see : ) !

sandy...perfect !!

joann..breathtaking..and you are right about Silver...how cool !!

indygo...that is exactly what I was hoping for !! As I moved furniture this week so change up the same old things I have had for decades I saw them in a new light and brought to light things I had never noticed. I hope others will open their eyes too . Please post some views of your life too. c

• nhb22
    11 years ago

Beautiful photos, everyone. Happy Thanksgiving, too!

cliff and joann - I saw your koi fly overhead a few minutes ago. lol Crisp clear sky today!

trailrunner- We have added a pergola, patio and outdoor fireplace since I last posted any photos of my outdoor area. I'll try to remember to post some pics after the holidays. The new addition frames the view beautifully and we love the area!

• cliff_and_joann
    11 years ago

newhome builder...
    Hahahahaa.....fasten your seat belts!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I like how at certain times a day the plants/tree's I planted outside the window along with the light filtering through the gold curtains looks like a companion picture to the one I painted on the wall. The whole corner sometimes looks it's like fire with color. I live on a dirt road; if the outside window was dust free you would get the full affect lol.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Trail, I have the exact same bowl on my dining room table. I got it at Pier 1.

Beautiful photography. I am enjoying this.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nhb...I will look forward to your pics...your landscape is wonderful !

jt..I LOVE it. On one of my bike trips there were flower arrangements in the museum in San Diego to reflect a painting...it was wonderful to see the interpretation. Your painting is so beautiful and you are right it is a perfect compliment to the scene with the chair and tree. You have a great eye...but we already knew that :)

ded,,,please take a pic...I have no idea where the bowl came from..I can't remember how/where I got it. I am enjoying it too. I hope more participate after the hectic holiday. c

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Library.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh ...I want to just step in that room and sit so still and wait to see what happens next. What a wondrous and mysterious picture schoolhouse ! I love the hint of drapes that pool and the lidded serving dishes...just put my grandmother's away after using it for mashed potatoes. It has been used almost every Thanksgiving since the 30's.

Your rug ..the plush chairs..those footstools..oh please show your room in the early dawn too...

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Not sure what time of day this was....I'm never up at dawn. :)

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Here's an outdoors one. The water is the reflection of the sky.

Here is a link that might be useful: my pic

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

school..that is a glorious room...so comfortable and warm. Thank you !!

yaya...beautiful !! where is that ? your dock ? c

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Such beautiful pictures, and what a great topic, TR!

I'm not one much for interior shots, but I have captured some shadow and light outside. I'll have to pay more attention to the shadow and light inside the house....

And nothing captures light and shadow like snow....

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Schoolhouse, I have a footstool similar to your's, and you gave me a great idea how to display it. Thanks!

I'll try to take a picture inside the house later (grands are coming over), but when I saw Annie's snow picture it reminded me of the picture below.

I was letting the dogs outside one night right after it snowed and saw the light from the DR reflect on the nearby fence.

• woodsy_1
    11 years ago

Gorgeous photos!

Schoolhouse, may I save your library to my inspiration folder? It's the perfect serene space to escape the realities of life. I could sit there all day and just dream.

I took these pictures of my living room Mothers' Day morning. The light was about as good as it ever gets in my little part of the woods. Still need to reupholster the Baker chairs, but this thread isn't about that.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

thanks trailrunner, this thread is just gorgeous. the dock is near my house but on the marshes, I snapped it with my cel phone.

• woodsy_1
    11 years ago

Oops! Sorry for the huge pics. The new Photobucket has me kerfuffled!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

annie and oakley...beautiful !! annie , yes please do. I was hoping it would give us all a new perspective on our interiors and possibly lead to moving items within a room/house to take advantage of angles and shadows etc. I know I have moved a couple things already and plan to move more as I walk through the house and see things as the light touches them.

woodsy ...just lovely ! I especially like the lamps and mirror over the cabinet...I have one similar and have wondered how to show it off and here you are with the perfect display, I am going to do some more shifting :) I love the light on your leather sofa and the beautiful rug. What a warm home you have. Where in the woods are you ? c

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

hmmm....why does "annie and oakley" sound so familiar???

;)

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Have you all noticed the morning sun is by far the best? There's something about it that just cheers me up!

Although you all have seen this setting many times, I took a new picture to show you what I see when sitting on the sofa drinking my coffee.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

annie ---you are a treat !! Hadn't even noticed till you pointed it out :) thank you .

oakley...nice !! you are right there is something about the morning or maybe it is that we are more receptive then as our eyes haven't become jaded over the course of the day. c

• mahatmacat1
    11 years ago

annie, when you make a calendar I'm buying it. Just GORGEOUS.

• woodsy_1
    11 years ago

Trailrunner, thank you for the kind words! I know my style isn't everyone's cuppa, but it makes us happy. Our tiny little acre in the woods is in a small town in Illinois, about an hour south of Chicago. I crave the warmth here!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

woodsy...would you mind telling me how tall your cabinet is ? and the lamps ? I have an old mirror already and think I can pull this off. My cab is taller so will adjust after I see what heights you are dealing with. I LOVE the area south of Chi-town :) I lived in OH till I was 13...still have that black soil under my nails :) thank you...c

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Thank you, flyleft. Actually, I've made several calendars already, but I give them away as gifts, never sold any. The orchids and the grand tetons pictures were in one of them, as I recall. Another was nothing but sunrises. For psychological health even more than exercise, I would get up very early and go for a walk each morning before I went to work. I lived up on a hill at that time and would get to enjoy some of the most fabulous sun rises....especially appreciated as they are so fleeting.

Another thing I do is I use one of my photos for my holiday cards each year and write a haiku to go with them.

This was one of my favorites from several years back... So silent, so cold
    Beneath the snowy branches
    A cardinal waits

My apologies for going so far off topic, TR

• woodsy_1
    11 years ago

TR, the cabinet is 55" tall, the lamps are 24". My ceilings are shy of 8', so I'm sure you can make it work. I have lurked for a while, and have seen pictures of your lovely home. Your arrangement will be spectacular!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

annie...OT that is most certainly not. what talent you have . Thank you for sharing such beauty...in any form it is most welcome.

I have tons of sunsets and sunrises from my bike trips...I keep promising I will get them printed. Annie..where/how do I get something printed as wonderfully as yours ?

woodsy thank you..tomorrow with measuring tape and then off to find something as I have no lamps..all else I do have. We are close to a Kirkland's so will try them first for lamps. I can't thank you enough for the inspiration.c

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Thanks, TR. I upload my pics to shutterfly and order the cards through them...usually wait until a 40% off sale. For the prints I have over my mantle, I just took them on a flash drive to the local fedex kinkos and they have nice machines that will print them out for cheap. If you want larger prints, there are places on line that will print and even frame them for you. Neighbor is a graphic artist and he said he's very happy with mpix.com.

I'm so jealous that you're close to a Kirklands....I love them but have to drive a long way to get to one...they have some terrific stuff.

• alex9179
    11 years ago

Animal Kingdom at Disney World. She's so pretty, and the background and shadows mirrored her coat.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you annie..the cost from mpix is ver reasonable. I think I want black and white but will get one or 2 done and see what is what. I haven't gotten out today...rendering lard !! Had 12 # to do . Will get to the Kirkland's later in the week. haven't been there is a couple years it is 5 miles...haha..don't shop very much.

alex ..great pic !!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

Fun thread c! And stunning pics everone! (Hey woods1, I am an hour W of Chicago. Howdy neighbor!)

I took a break at work today to take this pic

Then turned around and saw this

Which made me get a little silly. I'll call this one 'Shadow from a Fun House'.....

• woodsy_1
    11 years ago

TR, rendering lard? That sounds more enjoyable than lamp shopping. I'll share a secret if you promise not to tell. My lamps came from Dollar General, of all places! Total placeholders until something grabs me.

Deedee99, Howdy to you!!!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

woodsy..pics on the kitchen forum KAW thread :) Your lamps look great. I am going to get DH out to help me this next week. We have company over the holidays and would like to get the rooms more or less done. He is from Chicago !! Lives in Ravenswood. We were up there a couple years ago and I LOVED the old restored bungalows. Block after block of charming gardens and homes.

deedee...wow...great looking leg ! :) what a fun thread this has turned out to be.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

This is from the summer. Just happened to walk through the kitchen at the right time!