Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Blue Gray Color Recommendation Please

Rudebekia
9 years ago

I'm looking for a fabulous blue gray, or slate blue, bedroom color.(I feel like Mrs. Blandings in my request!--just saw that film last evening and loved it!) I would like it to be a medium toned grayed down blue--definitely blue but not baby blue or sky blue or flat gray. I can picture in my mind a sophisticated old world dusty French blue. I've obtained a lot of chips so far. BM Wedgewood Gray, Santorini Blue. Mount St. Anne are beautiful and in the ball park but tend a bit too much toward green. I'm leaning toward BM Little Falls but it is not exactly right either. Nimbus Gray, Winter Lake, and November Skies may be contendesr as well.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. The room faces south west and gets a fair amount of light. All my contender chips right now seem to be BM--didn't find anything good in Sherwin Williams. This is a bedroom in a 100 year old Craftsman with off white trim and a Craftsman inspired rug with muted blues, ivory, and tan. Thanks!

Comments (19)

• claga
    9 years ago

How about BM Smoke?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

My fave, of course! BM Van Courtland Blue.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

You could be describing the color I just used in my dining room/library. BM stonybrook.

• deegw
    9 years ago

My house is painted 2121-30 Benjamin Moore Pewter. In some light it looks gray, other light it looks blue. It's a nice saturated color but doesn't suck the light out of the room. Looks great with white trim.

• dawn_t
    9 years ago

I used BM Piedmont Gray for an accent wall in my living room (southeast exposure). We love it and I've had visitors inquire about the color's name. It's on the same strip as Gray Wisp, which was too light and "greenish" for me.

Yes, I'm still working on the fireplace mantel :)

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I used Behr Wet Cement in my bedroom. Very blue gray. I love the combination with cherry and mahogany furniture and white and black linens. Love the other colors shown here too.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful rooms! Thank you for all these suggestions: I'll be sure to look at each one.

• MJ2012
    9 years ago

We just did a room in BM Ice Fog. Came out fabulous. Even the painter loved it and said he would keep it mind when people asked him for gray/blue colors.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I painted my bedroom SW silvermist- pretty color!

• amandameyer
    9 years ago

I love BM Van Courtland Blue, they looked nice on my bedroom and complements with my wooden floors. The color seemed not to absorb/ reflect light.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Also take a look at New Hope Gray. I have found that not all BM stores display this color strip any longer, a shame because I think it's one of their best gray/blues.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Hope Gray

• salonv
    9 years ago

I was also going to suggest Van Cortlandt Blue. I almost used it in my house but went with a safe beige (which works and I do love). at least on my monitor, that new hope gray above looks magnificent. As we all know sometimes gray blues can be kind of dreary but that one looks great.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

hmmmâ¦.the photo I used in my post as an example of Van Courtland Blue is the same photo in the link for the New Hope Gray!

Makes you wonder!

This is an accurate example of what VCB looks like

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, interesting indeed. I hadn't noticed that. Here are the two rooms side by side. VCB is on the left, NHG on the right. Choosing between "grays" makes my head spin.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I find whites to be very difficult. I find lighter colors to be much more difficult than deeper colors.

The New Hope Gray looks like it has a lot of lavender in it, but I know the VCB is strictly blue/gray, and it's soft and serene, so perfect for a bedroom, IMO.

• lisaam
    9 years ago

I've lived happily for years with BM violet mist. my room gets lots of southern and western light. my vaulted ceiling is white and the trim is BM yukon sky (2 chips darker). the color reads blue-grey but lighter than the VC blue appears in the photos.

• cplover
    9 years ago

I have BM gray wisp in my home. Depending on the lighting, it is either a bluish gray, sometimes a grayish blue-green.

• kralygirl
    2 years ago

I'm looking for the same and decided on November Skies.......not blue not grey but a beautiful combo