Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Neutral Rug - No Sisal or Jute

funkyart
9 years ago

Seeking suggestions!!
I am in the process of transforming my living room piece by piece. I'd love to do it in one big effort but I also see value in taking it bit by bit. I love the layered look and I think that's best accomplished over time. Or. I am rationalizing lol.

The house is small and for the time being, the LR serves as the place to relax, work and sometimes eat. There will be a media/movie space in the basement when it is finished and a separate office area but I imagine the LR will always serve the purposes above to some degree. This range of activity presents a problem because we'd really like a light colored rug. It needs to be able to withstand traffic and use.

Requirements:
- I'd like an interesting pattern-- tone on tone pattern or weave
- color is ok -- but don't want it to overtake the small room
- I don't want a "dirty" neutral... some grays/beiges look dirty to me
- i prefer wool
- SO has strongly requested no jute, no sisal
- no precious patterns or colors.
- BUDGET! preferably under 1000 for 8x10 (or similar size)

Inspiration:
While I am not trying to recreate this room, I have (or will have) similar elements. I love the rug and how it works in the room. It has an interesting pattern but it doesn't overtake the other patterns or textures in the room. One note: my coffee table is made from an antique quilter's frame. It's a long, dark wood frame with two chunky wood gears and a glass top. The rug will show through the top.

This post was edited by funkyart on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 11:16

Comments (25)

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

I cannot see your pic.

I had an 8 by 10 polyester rug bound at the local rug dealer for under our bed for less than $200. I'm sure you could select a beautiful wool at your dealer and have it made in your preferred size for way less than $1000.

I chose a tightly knit Berber because I, too, did not want sisal, but wanted a flat weave.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Same for me, your pic didn't post...

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry.. i think I've fixed the photo.

Dee, I have considered having a rug bound-- I did that once before when I needed a palace size rug. It worked well.. but I am hoping for something with a little more interest. That said, I love the price.

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

You should be able to find a tone on tone damask rug like that in your pic.her's one at Pier One. The challenge will be to find one at your price point, which is not tufted. Here's the Pier One rug:

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

And her's one slightly more contemporary but much better quality from Overstock

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the challenge of looking at rugs online.. it's hard to imagine them in the room. How will they play with the woods and colors? these photos both have the muddy, dark look I am trying to avoid. I want something that will add a subtle texture and lightness to the room. It's hard to know how they'd play in my space.

I guess that's why I came here-- i am rejecting most I see in my price range. They are either too muddy or too formal or too bold.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Dee.. didnt mean to ignore your effort/time!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you think of this one? It's much more casual than I'd imagined but I think the in-room photos look good (although it's in another colorway).

[Traditional Rugs[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-rugs-prbr1-br~t_515~s_2107) by Atlanta Furniture & Accessories Ballard Designs

I normally prefer an oushak style-- but i think they'll be too busy. I want something cozy that complements the room rather than setting the tone.

• User
    9 years ago

I like the last one you just posted a lot! I've been searching for a rug for my LR again with pretty much the same requirements you're looking for and it's been hard. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Crate and Barrel

Rex, flatweave, 599.00

Orissa, 999.00

Or some of the West Elm neutral tribal rugs

Here is a link that might be useful: West Elm

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi there, Shee!! The rug I posted was from Ballard.. it also comes in a red that could work for your LR.

Nosoccermom, we liked a couple of rugs at C&B. I thought I'd love the orissa based on the catalog photos but in person it is too muddy and muted. The colors melded together like a dark rainy day. :( We did love the Masota at C&B but one but everyone here on GW advised against it because of it's strong leaning to a southwestern style which is not the direction I want to go. It's still in the back of my mind though.. we both really loved it. We also loved the Alfredo which is much more rich and interesting in person but I would be a freak with the creamy white color.

Thanks for the suggestions.. I am going to be near a C&B next weekend. I'll give the orissa another look!

Here's the C&B Masota

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, I also liked the Alfredo a lot (but light and slightly above budget). Do you have a West Elm nearby?

Winter Branches

Vines

Triangle

Prism

There are plenty more, including tone-on-tone or slight pattern

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Horchow has a few that look nice...
    this one comes in ivory or grey heather..

• deegw
    9 years ago

I just wanted to share a great rug tip from another gardenweb person - if you see a rug online that you like, first order the smallest size. You will easily be able to see if the color and weave work. If you don't like the rug, it won't be a big deal to return.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great tip, Dee.. I have done that once but not since. I'll keep that in mind as I shop-- especially at overstock which can be hit or miss.

I'll have to check out West Elm again, NSM. We were there in Sept and didnt really like the quality or "feel" of any of their rugs but a second look won't hurt.

Boop-- I've checked out that Isaac Mizrahi Aztec stripe a few times. I do like it but fear I'll tire of it quickly.

My problem is.. I have a champagne vision with a 2 Buck Chuck budget. I want a touch of boho and texture but nothing too rustic or earthy. I've found many that I like.. but apparently getting the perfect balance comes at a cost! I'd be struggling between choices if i doubled or tripled my budget.

I really wanted something thicker than a kilim but I've been enamored with this greek key design for a few months.. what do you think? I normally think of a greek key design as formal but in a kilim not so much. I also like the design on the bottom but it's more than twice the price and well over budget.

• Mike121
    9 years ago

i would suggest to get a natural fibre like pure wool made rug in your room. If it is neutral toned then it would be the best option. Moreover, these rugs are anti-fade, stain-resistant and non-shedding as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Wool Rug

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Have you looked at Natural Home Rugs? I think they are related to Natural Area Rugs whose site doesn't seem to work anymore. I ordered from natural AREA rugs and have been very happy (seagrass, though).

Here is a link that might be useful: natural home rugs

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 15:52

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

boopabadoo, what is the name of that last rug - I looked at Horchow and couldn't locate it. Thanks.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Here you go!

Here is a link that might be useful: the last rug above

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

The Natural Area Rugs web site works for me.

Maybe something like this?

I also like the one you posted from Ballard.

Here is a link that might be useful: neutral rug

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL! I never thought of greek key as 80s.. but it is definitely not an era I'd like to channel through my decor!

Thanks for the recommends.. I've never heard of Natural Home Rugs but I saw a few in there I like for other spaces in my home.

Boop.. oh there are plenty of rugs I like on Horchow-- but of course they arent the ones in my price range. You've shared some gorgeous rugs but a few are way too contemporary for my style and I am just not loving the sweater weaves.

I am going to check out some broadloom options and a few local stores. Surely I'll find something. I don't think my requirements are all that unusual.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SueB.. I like that one quite a bit-- also the cashmere-- but it's not what I am looking for in the living room. I am pretty sure I have another space for it though!

• robin_DC
    9 years ago

Have you tried rugs usa? I've had good luck finding 'champagne taste on a beer budget' rugs on their site through 75% off sales and black friday promotions. I'm at work and don't have time to look up how to embed the photo, but here's a link to a beige and cream wool scroll rug, 7'6x9'6, for $200.

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the good news.. I decided on the chevron hooked rug at Ballard.
    the bad news.. it won't ship until 1/2015
    back to the beginning.