Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeinohio

Crazy for considering brass and other lighting dilemma

deeinohio
10 years ago

We are building a small lakeside cottage. I already own a foyer-sized brass bell jar fixture I removed from our current entry several years ago, and have regretted since. I love that light.

The cottage has the dining, galley kitchen, living on the right side of the house, so as you enter, the dining is first. There is a non-functioning window in what appears to be the second floor from the outside. DH wants to put this bell jar so it can be seen from the outside; I'm not so sure. I need a light over the table and 2 pendants over the island, but can't decide how to coordinate them in such an open area.

I was looking at the Hudson Valley Heirloom collection in brass (below) with a larger pendant, with the cage, over the table and 2 smaller pendants over the island, without the cages.

So, my (lots of) questions are: 1) Should I use the bell jar, and if so, in the window or over the table? 2) do the Hudson Valley fixtures look ok with the bell jar light? 3) should I just buy all new fixtures in ORB?

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm really flummoxed.

Comments (3)

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

metal finishes are going to come and go as to what's "in" and i know brass is one of those finishes that's generally had a negative connotation for a long time, but if you let yourself separate bad 80s brass from a classic beautiful fixture like yours, then you'll have your answer.

someday people will turn their nose up at ORB too.

i LOVE your fixture.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Dee,

IMHO, if you've "always liked" something you've answered your own question about whether you should use it.

I don't really understand the non functioning window you describe.

As for brass vs ORB. I'm sure you've read that brass is making a comeback. However, this time around it is supposed to be an unlacquered, living finish that will patina as opposed to the unnaturally bright yellow we tired of in the 80s.

I am looking for a wall mounted bridge faucet for my kitchen. I wanted living finish brass. I was looking at Rohl yesterday, and their living finish brass is very dark, and does not look like brass at all. They say that wear spots will develop over time to make it more yellow-y. But I did not like it. Their bright shiny yellow lacquered brass is called Inca Brass, and I was told they are discontinuing it.

So, it appears, brass is back, but not the really shiny stuff, FWIW

• deeinohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the exterior. In our plan, the center window will be fixed since we have a loft area to the left, over the bedrooms, and the window is more like a clerestory window.

My feeling is it should still, from the outside, LOOK like it's a window on a second floor. The placement of a light In this window would shatter that illusion.

We demolished the 1920 home formerly setting on our lot, and it's in an old area of the lake filled with 1920-1930 summer cottages, all in disrepair. The man developing this area wants to replace the old homes with new homes of the same style, preserving the summer cottage atmosphere.