Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jubilante

Updating Cast-Off Dining Table

jubilante
9 years ago

We were given an old school, pedestal dining table. We like it, and think it will be really great with a bit of refinishing. I am thinking of using more modern chairs as we aren't very traditional-style inclined. Ideas? I've attached a picture of it in a jumble of other stuff...hopefully shows the style.

Comments (18)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

It looks like a very nice table, especially for a "cast-off." I think the chairs around a table really dictate the style more than the table itself. Generally, the pedestals get lost in the maze of chair legs.

What chairs were you thinking of putting with it? Do you have pictures you can post?

• User
    9 years ago

Omg that is a fabulous table!!! You are lucky to have been given something like that, congratulations! Honestly, whatever type chairs you put around it can't help looking good.

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous table! I love the idea of modern chairs around it - keep us posted.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

That's a great table! The base will really lend itself to a modern chair. How modern are you going to go?

• marcolo
    9 years ago

The pedestals are so nice, I'd be tempted to try a Louis Ghost.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Nice table! Agree about chairs w/ a thin/airy profile so as not to hide those beautiful pedestals...

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Brilliant, Marcolo!

Here is a traditional style table with ghost chairs in a contemporary room (although I believe I would have oriented the table the other direction)

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Austin General Contractors Avenue B Development

• jubilante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yay! So glad you all think it is worth working with this table that has been in the garage storage for ahem, quite awhile! I do like the ghost chairs and also like Eames style dining chairs or something I found called Wishbone chairs? I am not sure I can sell acrylic or plastic to my spouse.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I am with your wife on the plastic. I could see something like this, perhaps lighter in structure, and allow the choice of fabric to dictate how modern it runs.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here's a photo of a similar set-up with an older table and the Eames types chairs (but in colors) -- perhaps if you do choose this style of chair -- maybe think of getting them in black

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- inspiration pin photo

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

That is a really nice table. DH's sister hated the mahogany double pedestal table she inherited from her M in Law. So she removed both pedestals, cut the table top into a 24" round circle, painted a chessboard/checkerboard onto the top, attached one pedestal and put it in the basement as a game table.

I also vote for an upholstered chair with nice clean lines.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Teacats I love that picture!

While the styles of tables are different than yours, here are a few that I had saved to some of my boards. Some w/ ghost chairs & others w/ eames style chairs:

I'm also quite partial to a simple, streamlined parsons chair w/ white slip. It's like a little surprise when you pull the chair away and see the table base.

That table is fabulous BTW!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Multicolored modern.

• lala girl
    9 years ago

I agree with the recommendation for the ghost chairs. We put the small sheepskin throws from Ikea on ours in the fall/winter - the texture is fabulous and helps warm up the chairs.

Or I'd be tempted to do a slipcovered Parsons chair with a full skirt so all the chair legs wouldn't create a bunch of visual noise.

Whatever you end up doing, enjoy the table - it's a beauty!

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

What about these synthetic leather chairs? Modern, but not overwhelming. They come in 4 other colors I think, from Dania.

• jubilante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about something like this? too boxy?

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

I saw this and thought of this thread - ghost chair with silver legs. Looks pretty cool!

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Well I adore that table!!! Gorgeous