Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie11_gw

can anyone talk me out of trendy art?

maggiepie11
10 years ago

there's this cow painting i fell in love with. the size is right, the colors are right, and it makes me happy. and it's on SALE this weekend!

but it's an oversized cow!! oversized cows and horses are everywhere in commercial art right now.

anyone think you can talk me out of it?

for more background, we recently relocated from boston to texas, and i've had it in my head that i wanted some sort of homage to boston over our fireplace. however, i found i was just trying TOOOOO hard. plus, we're actually shipping all the stone for our fireplace from new england to get real new england field stone. that's homage enough right?

Comments (21)

• msrose
    10 years ago

I say if it makes you happy then there's your answer!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The art clearly moooooves you, so get it!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I agree with Rose and Annie. It makes you happy and it's on sale. Sounds like a win/win to me!

• teacats
    10 years ago

Take the bull by the horns -- and don't have a cow about it!!! (heeheeeheeeheeeheee!!!!)

I LOVE it -- colors, visual balance and charm !

If YOU LOVE an artwork -- then get it! :)

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks! it's exactly what i'd say if someone else asked the question. when it's easy i second guess!

normal person's decor buying process:
    * see something you like
    * buy it and take it home
    * delight in your purchase

my decor buying process:
    * search online for obscure ideas for months
    * photoshop a piece of artwork that requires me to alter it in some way before i'd consider it perfect - a color wash, changing the frame...
    * show my mom who raises her eyebrows at my judgement
    * back to the drawing board...

you get the idea.

not this time. i will take HOME my happy cow tonight!

• violetwest
    10 years ago

Can't say I've been inundated with oversized horses and cows in art, and I live in Texas.

I mean, New Mexico (oops, forgot!)

"makes me happy" is all you need to know.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I never considered cows trendy. Roosters, yeah (but I've got my original rooster art). LOVE your oversized cow. Glad you're getting it.

Now if only I can find that perfect piece for my family room..

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Cows and horses have been around forever. Even though they are around more in magazines/TV recently, I say buy. DD2 has horses in her DR (4 years now) and still loves it, and so does her 2yo son.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I bought this print a few months ago for my cow loving 20 yo daughter for her room at college. Unlike this day glo pop art cow, your cow is sedate and mature and definitely "fine art". :) Go for it!

{{!gwi}}

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Love it. Get it.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I don't think cow art is trendy. I myself enjoy a good cow painting. Here's mine, which I've had for about 7 years. Started out at our "real" house but got relegated to the beach house due to another impulsive art purchase.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

normal person's decor buying process:
    * see something you like
    * buy it and take it home
    * delight in your purchase

Who are these normal people???? Not me! I searched for more than two and a half years for what I thought would be an easy find: a simple Africa scenic shot with one or more acacia trees. I eventually pulled out some acrylics and spent a few hours painting one myself. I am not an artist--just desperate.

I have searched and searched for art I like. It trickles in very, very slowly. I visit the Art That Moves You thread and fall in love with every other entry. I wonder if the normal people there will let me buy and bring home their treasures. ;)

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Oh, yes. If you find something you like, GRAB IT! Nice cow. :)

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol gyr_falcon! i'm glad i'm in good company! the problem is it's not just art that plagues me.

when we relocated, we left almost everything behind, so i'm following the same process for every last finish in our new home. i'm swimming in DIY projects that i won't let myself start until i finish my first ongoing reupholstery project.

and i forgot to mention... i love all your cow paintings as well! and very nice cow pun in the earlier posts. thanks for all the encouragement. i'm literally going to pick it up tonight. :)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

i've had it in my head that i wanted some sort of homage to boston over our fireplace

It's definitely homage!

I've heard that the street pattern in Boston is the result of using cow paths instead of surveying. So that is one of Boston's original street layout team.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I'm not going to talk you out of it Maggie, I like it! I didn't know it was trendy either. The first one I've seen was in a post yesterday. I should get out more.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

If you have seen it more than once, still like it -- even love it, it is probably something you will enjoy long term. Then it is a good purchase. If you were buying it to be a cow picture because you think they are trendy and it's fun, I'd only buy it if you can afford to donate it down the road. If both are true, then it's really a no-brainer.

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

UPDATE: the eagle has landed! i have my happy cow in my possession and now I'M happy. :)

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Yay! I think it's hard to find art that actually makes you happy! So glad you got it!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Just had to share our cow art, called Alderney by EAS Douglas.

Have no idea what it's worth. It was in the basement of the house I grew up in. We had to reframe it, and when we did, the newspaper in with the framing was dated 1884. So we know it's old, but don't even know if it's a print or what. Perhaps when antiques roadshow comes around....

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Congrats on getting the cow art!

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!