Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Got the house and need 2 opinions on curb appeal. Continued!

jterrilynn
10 years ago

Hi again, I was on a week ago when I had my bid in on this house and was trying to figure out how to fix ugly but also make it hurricane ready. I won the bid so it is now a reality (unless next week's inspections go bust). As usual you were all a big help on last post by pointing out the cheap garage door wasn't doing the curb appeal any favors. I found companies for the doors and windows that are Miami Dade wind code (hurricane) approved and also offer some finish options. I haven't picked a roof or color yet as I am meeting with the roofer mid next week. My two questions are:
1) How do you like this latest rendering with the change of windows and garage door?
2) I'm thinking a warm putty paint color. Sorry, not sure if my made up colors will show right on the monitor so please feel free in offering your suggestion or picking an A through E tone.

BEFORE

AFTER

This garage door

Window finish choices

P.S, the two front windows are one each in bedrooms. There are no other windows in those rooms.

Comments (10)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Cute house...I think I like B for the color...not light, not dark...a stone putty color. A seems a little too yellow and C a bit dark. Like the garage doors. Not sure if the windows would look better in the darker walnut color or matching the wood color of the front door.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I think the lighter colors are too much like the driveway. Is putty a little somber for Florida?

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joanie, I like B as well! I was thinking the chestnut/cherry color for the windows and the door. Still not sure of roof! What do you think?

Mayflower thank you for joining in! About the putty color, I have a warm putty color in my head but donâÂÂt know the name or brand. I would like putty with some warmth that doesnâÂÂt look depressing on a cloudy day. My hope is that by going a bit conservative on the house color I can get away with color pops on door and windows. This is an HOA neighborhood , just a handful of pale yellow houses with the rest having more of a greige thing going on.

IâÂÂm hoping for several opinions to make sure IâÂÂm not getting too artsy fartsy. I may do a re-sale down the road but not sure. Maybe IâÂÂll like it here.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Sherwin Williams "taupe tone" is a true putty color. Very nice.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yayagal, what a mind reader! I like that color, it goes well with warmer vibrant shades and white trim. What do you think of the chestnut/cherry window and front door color with it? What would YOU put on the roof? YouâÂÂre on a roll so IâÂÂm interested in your opinion.

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

My own two cents: I don't like the look of a double bay garage door. There are double garage doors that effectively mimic the look of two single garage doors, and they do a much better job of playing down that big opening in your wall.

They're probably more expensive too. :( But maybe worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Just be sure you look at all the colors in the FL sun. It is so bright it will wash out a lot.

Around my mother's area, a lot of houses were painted a rusty tone so when the sprinklers splashed the building and left rust stains from the iron in the water, they blended in.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Well I see you already have more than two opinions so I'll just say congratulation! I hope the inspection goes well.
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .

LOL just kidding.
    I like B or C for the paint color and Hazelnut brown for the windows, but I'm thinking a wood garage door would look awesome with wood trimmed windows and wood door and sidelights.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Justgotabme, Hehehehe you crack me up lol. In theory I like the idea of the hazelnut brown or walnut for the windows and double doors. In reality though the door area gets a lot of shadow from the porch area so I think I need more vibrant doors. While I love wood tone garage doors, I think on this house style its best if the garage door is either the same color of the house or perhaps a tic lighter. My goal is to take the focus away from the garage by adding a somewhat vibrant color for the front doors. However, since the garage door is sooo prominent I do want it to look nice. What IâÂÂm not sure about is do I also want vibrant window frames. I think I do?

Annie, I have already discovered an area the tannin hits, itâÂÂs near the two front windows. When I do the landscaping I will use low water plants there and change the sprinkler head type. That tannin is a pain. It does come off paint with an acid wash but window glass is another story. The only thing I found that works (canâÂÂt remember the name) is a product in a yellow container sold at Wallyland that is a mild compound found in the car wax and cleaning supply section.

Birdgardener, I love that look! However, if itâÂÂs more expensive itâÂÂs a no go. Husband said no way to the garage door and windows to start with. I have just been pretending he didnâÂÂt and all the while proclaiming that I am not living in an ugly house lol. Luckily he is coming around. He is nearing sixty and it makes no sense for us to lug hurricane panels around and put up ourselves every season. The windows are old and need to be improved to hurricane glass. The garage door I picked is Miami Dade approved and has expensive hurricane glass. Sheesh, the things I gotta do. I sent this picture of a garage door after a storm to my husband at work the door is like the one on the house now.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh boo no one seems keen on the chestnut /cherry windows. On to option âÂÂBâÂÂ. Pretend the whole house and garage are a taupe color. The other option for the windows is just to do a bronze to match the other windows in the house (although the chestnut/cherry ones cannot be seen from other rooms). In the âÂÂBâ option I have made the roof darker.

âÂÂBâÂÂ

âÂÂAâ but pretend the house is taupe.

Or, option "C" would be A (chestnut /cherry windows) but with the darker roof of B and of course painted taupe.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 18:22