Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Coming full circle.. paint colors

funkyart
9 years ago

I moved into my house about 1.5 yr ago. Before I moved in, I agonized over paint colors, painted the whole house (twice) and refinished floors. Lived in the house for awhile.. loved the BM Anjou Pear on the walls but something just wasn't right. One night, I was reading in my bedroom and realized I loved the light gray in the bedroom. It "feels" great...it is calming and happy. And with that, I decided to paint the house again.

I have kept my eyes open for the last few months--checking out all the grays that pop up. I love the Gray Owl in my bedroom but didnt want the same color throughout the house. One of the colors I loved when i was trying color swatches on the wall was SW Oyster Bay. I adored it but didnt like how it played with my (then) orange oak floors. But I loved it. I loved it so much that felt pangs of regret when my bff painted her LR Oyster Bay (after seeing it on my test wall).

So here I am today.. searching photos of various grays and up pops my own LR... in a thread from ages ago. I won't likely go with the Oyster Bay but surely something in that range. A creamy gray leaning blue-green. Oh and I am about to *finally* paint the fireplace!

Funny how things have gone full circle.. I am returning to all the old suggestions. Thanks again for your suggestions-- they are still very helpful!

Floors have been refinished to a medium brown oak.

Here is a link that might be useful: old message

Comments (5)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you love the Oyster Bay, you should paint your room with it. What difference does it make if your gf has it in her house? A lot of people have it in their house.

Make your house what you want it to be. What others do is irrelevant.

That said, check out Ben Moore:

Silver Mink (1586)

Castle Walls (1573)

Iced Marble (1578)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My reason for not using Oyster Bay isnt because bff used it-- I egged her on! We swapped all our samples and she ended up using two of my colors in her home. It's all good-- not sure why you think I am holding back because of bff.

I do love Oyster Bay but I fear it is a little too much color for the whole living space... I don't want any part of the house to lean baby blue. We'll see. I will definitely try it again. I liked the Silver Mink you suggested-- I also intend to try: :

Sea Haze
    Coventry Gray
    Smoke Embers
    Heather gray
    Cliffside Gray
    Stonington Gray

Thanks for the input. I have MANY gray samples but none of the above.

This post was edited by funkyart on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 12:55

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Hee, hee, Funky! Isn't it funny how things work?

I have a blog post in the works about this artist* (not that he'd call himself that) . . .but this is a neat way to use gray-- on the trim. How's your trim? Is it something you want to accent?

I know the decor is not your taste; only including it because of the color scheme.

Whatever you pick, it's going to look great. I love the combo of gray and orange (your floor tone), like this rug on ebay:

You must feel relieved to be coming closer to figuring out what works. It definitely takes time-- and so much energy-- to repaint. Good for you for going for it, and not living with what feels wrong.

Can't wait for more pics!

*Furlow Gatewood

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, Anele! I have to say, i didnt feel like my color was wrong. It was nice enough-- and just funky enough. It just wasn't IT. I know it doesn't show so well in photos but like yours, my fireplace is a problem. It doesn't play nice with a lot of colors because it's such a nasty color IRL. There are yellow and apricot tones that come together in a not so pleasing way.

The floors are no longer orange-- but that opens the door to adding some orange highlights -- because I too love that combo. That's a great rug!

I will definitely keep you posted.. painting the fireplace is first and I wont test colors until that's done. (PS when are you painting yours??)

• sis2two
    9 years ago

Have you considered Edgecomb Gray? It's actually a warm gray. Or maybe Revere Pewter?

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz