Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sserra85

Operation Thanksgiving: Sunroom overhaul

sserra85
10 years ago

Good morning GW! I am in the midst of a temporary sunroom overhaul. Eventually this room will be expanded and properly framed/insulated. For now I need a place to fit my family for thanksgiving.

Here's where we're at. The plan is to stencil the floor, paint, and add drapes. The main floor color will be coventry gray, they trellis pattern will be in the gold shade. My question is regarding paint. Should I stick with a safe gray on the bm strip? Or should I entertain other options? I also have a big brick wall in the room which I have not yet decided whether I will paint it to match the rest of the walls or leave it. Thank you all in advance!

Comments (29)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Rather than the effort to stencil the floor, I would consider just painting it and then getting indoor/outdoor carpet to warm it up some and make it feel more like a room.

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am really excited about stenciling it. It will be much more cost effective than a large rug. The room is 9.5x22. I have already painted the gray, and I feel it's pretty sad looking as is if i were to just slap a rug on it. That's also my fear with painting the walls gray as well. Will it look too drab? Should I go for neutral white ikea drapes.. or something more colorful? The furniture will all be replaced with a large table.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I have to agree with Annie. Unless you are in an especially hot climate, the floor will be cold.
    I am guessing Annie meant an area rug. You will still see part of the floor and it could add color to the room as well..

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

twn85, I'm confused. You asked about sticking with a safe gray, but the floor is already painted. What are were you asking about for the 'safe gray'?

What is the November weather is your part of the country?
    Are you doing this room now mainly for just Thanksgiving, or will it stay as you do it now for quite a while until expanded?

The reason I ask those questions is that if you are in a cool area, and you'll be using the room, say though the holiday season, I'd do some 'warmer' appearing draperies than white - something that brings a feeling of coziness. I agree an inexpensive area rug could do that in at least part of the room, but if not, try to bring in the feel of warmth in other ways. Will you be decorating the walls with any art, etc?

Here is a link to some Thanksgiving decor images that may give you some ideas. This could be a very fun project. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thanksgiving decor

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Paint just the perimeter and get a nice cheap rug for a temporary situation. Will it be warm enough to use the room? Then put some warm tone on the walls. This way it will feel cozy right away. For me, I'd paint the brick in a heartbeat. Textures are what are going to pull it all together,that's why a rug is a good solution.

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

If the changes you are making are just to get through Thanksgiving, I think that once the table and chairs are in, the eye will go to the table decor and the other changes you are considering won't be very noticeable. I think a rug, unless it is very large, will be more of a nuisance when pulling chairs in and out.

I could see simple, maybe white, panels at the window and perhaps a couple of large prints on the wall. But, again, it depends upon what your long term goals are, IMHO.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

I don't think the paint will be cured in time for Thanksgiving. Unless people are just going to stand there, I would be afraid of all that hard work getting scratched off with chair movement.

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. To answer some questions:
    The room will be used for at least 2 years until we can save to really fix it.
    I am in NJ, because of the cast iron stove, the room actually gets HOT, even in the frigid winter.

I already own the stencil, and already purchased the paint and supplies. A rug would just be an added expense at this point.

Phase 1 was painting the floor in the gray. That is complete and it cured in 24 hours, so I do not anticipate that being an issue. I also plan on putting polyurethane over the paint. I have never stenciled and am not particularly crafty, so I'm not even sure this will turn out as I envision.

My question is really for wall color and drape color to go with the gray/gold stenciled floor.

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do like the idea of making the room feel "cozy" Though I'm not sure they gray that I already put down gives off the cozy vibe.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Paint the walls gray -- then add the fresh white Ikea curtains ....

Then find some stamps and ink -- and add a pattern to the curtains -- just along the bottom edge ....you could also create a long table runner too ....

Use lots of gold (paint fake leaves and berry garland -- use along the table and a line above the curtains .... grab some white pumpkins too .... add gold-painted pinecones too!

Just some thoughts!

• sprout26
    10 years ago

A little torn on this one. The safe option would be the grey, and with all the light from those windows it wouldn't be drab. But on the other hand, what about going bold and using the same gold or similar as the stencil on the wall? Especially if it's going to be temporary. (although to me, isn't all paint temporary, until the next "favorite" color comes along?)
    The stencil will be fun.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

How about something like this from Target?

Here is a link that might be useful: drapes

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would warm it up by going with gold walls and then do the ivory colored drapes.

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The gold might just be a great idea! I had not originally considered it, but now that I stenciled the floor, I think that a darker color is the way to go. The room gets so much light that even with the pattern it still feels cold and washed out.
    Thinking dark now, would navy clash? If I go for the gold should I match the stencil color or go one notch darker? It seems much brighter in the photo than in person.

• threeapples
    10 years ago

I'd do navy walls.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

twn85, you are fast! How long did it take you to stencil the floor to there? I think a darker color would look warmer, and even a warmer color like pink or red. Are you going to have a heater out there?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think the gold in the floor is too bright and you should go with something much warmer, like BM wilmington tan. I think navy would be too dark.

• Georgysmom
    10 years ago

Floor looks great. Sherwin-Williams sells quart size tester cans for about $6.00 Buy a couple of colors and paint a splash on. See what you like best. Better than being unhappy with the finished project.

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The floor did turn out brighter than I anticipated. Hindsight is 20/20. Though it was a relatively quick job (2 hours), It is not something I plant on redoing.
    What would be my best option to tone it down? Or should I just run with it?

Even though the floor is now patterned moroccan, I don't feel as though It has any particular direction just yet. I guess I can really go dark, saturated, cozy.. or bright and modern.

I'm struggling with the next step because of the now a-touch-too-bright floor. I know it shouldn't be so hard since this is a temporary fix, but perhaps that's why I'm at a standstill. Is there really a right or wrong direction to take?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think the brighter color on the floor is just fine. But don't feel you have to try and match it in the walls or you will be sorry. Rather, once you get furniture and everything in there, it will just be a nice accent so people notice your hard work.

Maybe a design seed like this will provide inspiration as you also have to work with the red brick. Put the teal on the wall...

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annie, I love love love teal. If I go that route, I think a touch darker still. I am considering hiring someone to paint/put of trim. If I can get someone in time then I will have them paint the brick as well. If this turns into a complete DIY, then yes.. I will have to consider the brick.

When I was out shopping for paint samples I picked up a swatch of BM tropical teal. I love the color but also worry that the room will become a sensory overload.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Well, as far as I can tell from your pic, there is only really one wall of color...the rest looks like glass that will be surrounded with trim, presumably a warm white. So the wall becomes an accent wall. Once you accessorize it, I don't think it will be too overwhelming.

I think BM soft spruce might be a little gentler and still do what you want.... the tropical teal is really bold.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Oh, I love that teal with the grey, gold, and brick! I personally wouldn't paint the brick. What does the table look like?

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The table is just a large sheet of plywood on top of horses. I purchased a large cheap table cloth from homegoods. It is a dark jade green. I am not too concerned with the color of the table cloth.

Would a charcoal be too dramatic? I don't recall who's living room it is.. but someone here has a stunning, almost black living room.

• peaceofmind
    10 years ago

I think the drapes from Target that Gracie01 posted would look good with the floor. They have just a touch of gold in them.

• kam76
    10 years ago

Love the floor I think it turned out great! How fun! I think a nice teal would look great with the brick and floor.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I also think teal would look great. Love the floor!

• sserra85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I tried 3 different teals and a gold. They all look off to me. I fell in love with BM Carter Gray in a friends home. Do you think this taupe-y deep gray could work? Are there any other suggestions? The painter is coming tomorrow... I'm off to the store for more samples!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Check out the link below for color suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Teal Paint Colors