Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

Before and After pics of the family room.

zipdee
14 years ago

The room it's self is about 90% done. Today my DH is going to build me beadboard 'faux' backs to slide into place to cover all the wires in the TV area. The rooms needs to be decorated yet still .. I need to pick out a rug, a center light for the ceiling, baskets for under the TV area to go on the bottom shelf, lamps for the table, drapes, art and accessories for the bookcases. I'm really, really pleased with where we stand right now though.

Okay the before pics again :

Badly done textured ceiling, furniture from old home that didn't fit the room.

Under sized bookcases :

And .. yes that is sheetrock around the surround and cement on the hearth.

Now the after pics :

The lighter room color and beadboard brighten the room so, so much! We went with a slipcovered sectional for best use of space in this room. All five of us were on it last night with plenty of elbow room to stretch out. The tables are from a local consignment shop, I got both for $70 .. they're solid wood and in perfect shape.

The new ceiling looking in from the french doors :

Mantle area, that's the same mirror after some flat black paint and silver rub and buff.

Eventually there will be a flat screen TV hanging on the wall where the current TV is now and that stand will go bye - bye. For now it's a vast improvement on what was there. Please ignore the tangle of wires, they will be bound and then hid with beadboard faux backs that will slide into place in front of them.

Comments (43)

• RoseAbbey
    14 years ago

Wow what a difference a wall color can make. I LOVE your new mantel area, makes the room look wider. I can see why you are excited. Great job.

• boysrus2
    14 years ago

WOW! What a big change on the fireplace wall. Great job expanding the bookcases, wood overmantle and stone surround. The beadboard ceiling is a beautiful solution to the popcorn you previously had too. The whole room is light, bright and very up-to-date looking. CONGRATS!

• whitdobe
    14 years ago

Yes, WOW! The wall color sure makes a huge difference. Going with a white across the entire fireplace wall sure was the right decision. It all looks fabulous!

• barb5
    14 years ago

That wall with the bookshelves and the fireplace is really nicely done.

Could you help someone who has zero to no carpentry skills? It looks like some wall studs had to be taken out? Did your DH have to put in a support beam along the length of the wall? (She asks as she gazes wistfully as her fireplace wall).

Also, the new wall color is beautiful, mirror and marble are gorgeous, and why oh why can't I ever find tables like that for that price....

• parma42
    14 years ago

Oh, Zip, you've got to be absolutely thrilled!

That's one of the biggest (and best) transformations I've ever seen!

I can't even point to which element is my favorite. They're all just stunning.

You two done good!

• teacats
    14 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Simply wonderful transformation!

Much lighter, fresher -- and the whole room looks twice the size!! LOVE the new sectional -- yes -- an excellent use of space! And the tables are GREAT!

Very well done to both of you! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

Really great transformation , you guys rock !!

• roobear
    14 years ago

Wow, that was fast, I'm totally jealous of your speed. I see you decided to get rid of the chair rail, everything looks so nice and relaxing. I really like how the ceiling turned out!

• les917
    14 years ago

A lovely transformation - cozy and fresh. You must be very pleased. Is the shelving adjustable in the bookcases?

Laughing about the sectional, tho. With a DH that is 6'4", one son at 6"3" and another at 6', there is no way the 4 of us could sit there, let alone with elbow room! The tangle of legs and sizes 13-14 shoes would be scary!

• chrissyc1972
    14 years ago

Beautiful! What color is on the wall?

• nicole__
    14 years ago

GREAT job!!!!!

• akrnhsnc
    14 years ago

What a beautiful transformation, the color brightens the room and the ceiling is definitely a "wow" factor. I hope you and your family enjoy the room for many years to come.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Zipdee, that is incredibly beautiful. What a wonderful transformation. And the beadboard ceiling is to die for! You both must be very proud of yourselves and you deserve to be proud.

• Sheeisback_GW
    14 years ago

Looks really, REALLY nice. The whole room looks bigger and very rich.
    I saved these to my inspiration folder. :)

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

I love the play of whites at the fireplace and bookcases from the differences in planes and the marble. Wonderful transformation.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Double Wowsers on the fp wall! Beautiful job on the room, Zipdee. What a huge difference with the stroke of a master. A-mazing! Your house must love you, too!

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

zip

THat just CAN NOT be the same room! Oh my, what a stellar job! You had a vision, a mission and set out - WOWZA what a wonderful transformation - Just love it!

Enjoy

• jlc712
    14 years ago

I love the bookcases, and the ceiling. The whole room really came together. It looks SO nice. Impressive work!
    Jen

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

wow that turned out great! the fireplace with the bookcases and beadboard ceiling are perfect now

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

wow amazing job! I thought you were a bit nuts for rebuilding the shelving but boy you knew what you were doing! I am just in love with your fireplace tiles, just gorgeous and I love the mirror. Im going to have to remember that, black paint and rub on gold, it sounds so simple. Love your work zipdee!

The room is just awesome, what a fantastic makeover

• loribee
    14 years ago

Fabulous makeover....enjoy your lovely space!!!

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

Very nice. Please keep posting as you finish it!

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

WOW! I love the beadboard and the fireplace transformation! Would you mind giving more dtails on the fireplace? Great Job!

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for the lovely compliments and kind remarks! I really appreciate you all taking the time to look at the pictures.

Barb, this was a non load bearing wall, so thankfully we did not have to header off the wall with an LVL. The load bearing walls in this room are the two outside walls and the one the TV is on. So reworking your fireplace wall would depend upon whether it was load bearing or not. If not it's just gets framed out and is cosmetic fix, if so you do need to replace the support and it becomes a much more complicated project. We did do this in the kitchen with one wall, removed a load bearing wall and spanned an LVL across the whole portion.

Les, the bookcase shelves are not readily movable, but they could be adjusted with out a lot of fuss. What we did was pick a measurement for now, when I collect what I want on the shelves, my DH will move the shelves as needed for me.

My DH is 6'3, so he's a big like your guys. The rest of us 'girls' are very 'shrimpy' compared to him though. *LOL* I'm 5'4, my oldest DD has topped out at 5'3 and it doesn't look like my other dd's have the capacity to exceed my height or build .. so the sectional works just fine for us.

Chrissy, the wall color is from Lowes, it's in their historical collection, the name of it is Lighthouse Shadows.

Trance, everyone around here thought I was a bit loopy for removing the bookcases that were here. Right after we removed them and brought them out side to put on the trailer someone stopped by and asked it they could have them. So happily they didn't go to the landfill, they are being recycled. :)

I've been slowly pulling things from other parts of the house and just messing in there. As I've admitted before accessorizing is not my strong suit .. so it will take some doing for me to get these bookcases looking half way decent. I don't have a great eye for that part of the project.

I'm pretty sure I've found a home for one of my 'orphan' chairs I rescued from beside the road though. The upholstery needs to go, but I like the caning and the faux bamboo frame. This might be my next furniture project.

Try to imagine a different fabric, no tufting and the back all one simple piece. I think it cold add some interest and texture to the room, while filling an empty space.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

MaryBeth .. Our home was built in 1910 .. the fireplace, mantle, cast iron surround and coal grates are original to the house. The bookcases that we removed were not original though, they were the work of the previous owner.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

zipdee,

It's just gorgeous, and I love the beadboard! It's wonderfully classic!

Jan

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

Absolutely stunning!! I'm loving me some beadboard!!! What a crisp, fresh new look:)

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

Wow...what a transformation...so fresh!

Love the beadboard celing and the entire fireplace wall...beautiful!! Great job on the bookshelves and fireplace make-over!

Enjoy your new space:)
    L.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

You have created a gorgeous room. Looks so crisp yet calm. Elegant and casual all rolled into one. There isn't anything I do not love about it.

Chris

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Oh, Zip! The transformation is nothing short of stunning! I actually thought the room looked nice in the before photos, but the makeover truly makes the space sing now. I just love everything you've done. Enjoy your "new" room!
    :-)

• no_green_thumb
    14 years ago

Stunning! I just love seeing pictures of your home, Zip. Everything you have done is absolutely wonderful - and your finds - vintage, antique, by the side of the road, Wow! --- and what is equally wonderful is that you and your family have a grand time doing it!! Enjoy!!

• teacats
    14 years ago

The chair is PERFECT for that spot -- just the size and visual "weight" for the corner! Great choice!

You really do have a fantastic eye for creating wonderful rooms!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much again everyone for the complimentary comments!

Jan .. I loosened the back of the chair yesterday. I was curious to see what was under all that orange tufted 'goodness'. *LOL* I was hoping for more caning, then I'd just place a large back pillow on it. It's not caned though, but on the up side it doesn't look like a hard remake. I have a bunch of canvas painters cloths around here .. on a whim I tucked one around the upholstered part. It looked kind of neat playing off the cane and faux bamboo. Maybe put a monogram of some kind in brown or black on the back.

• jlj48
    14 years ago

Love your sectional. Can you share where you got it? Beautiful room.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Joanie .. our sectional is from IKEA, it's the EKTROP corner sofa 2 + 2, with the Idemo Beige slipcover .. which is really more of a tan color with a bit lighter piping.

After talking to two people ( with families ) that have had them for more than a year and they were very pleased with them .. and reading good reviews on the internet, I decided to take the plunge. Hopefully they'll wear as well as everyone says, but if not .. I'm not out very much at all. I bought an extra slipcover so I can trade on and off as needed for cleaning. I figure with the kids, their friends and the dogs ( even though the dogs are *supposed* to stay off the furniture ) .. slipcovers were the way to go here.

• barb5
    14 years ago

Zipdee,

Thanks for getting back to me. It appears my fireplace wall is a bearing wall, so a lovely built-in bookshelf is not going to happen here. That's OK, DH inherited some very nice barrister bookshelves, but for a moment, your pics gave me a really nice visual.

Your cane chair is fantastic! It has a great personality to it.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Fantastic, wonderful transformation! You must be thrilled!

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

I love that chair in the space, I cant wait to see what you do with it.

can I ask what fabric the sectional slip covers are made from? I'd love some covers for mine in that fabric.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

All looking very pretty and so light and happy too. I love red and I do think it has it's place on walls, but sometimes, you just need to do something more neutral. Everything looks really nice. Great tables!

Red

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

Zip

LOVE that chair - I am wondering if that color may actually work - I like the punch. IF you have other orange toned objects - even oranges put them in the space and snap some photos. is there a rug in the room

Looks like nice high ceilings too!

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much ladies!

Jejvtr .. you know, when I put that chair in the room .. I was surprised that I like the orange in there too up against the grayish blue. I will say that the upholstery while being in good sound condition, is filthy .. bleck! My youngest DD's went to sit in it and I was like .. no, no .. yuck, don't sit down. I do have a small bissel green machine and I might give a try at cleaning it. I've put it back out in the cottage until after the holiday's .. we also have two of my DD's birthday's coming up, so December is stays really busy here. I don't care for the very, very, very retro-ish tufting .. but by placing a large pillow, like the size of that picture, it makes most of it go away visually.

• carolfm
    14 years ago

Count me in as one who loves that orange chair in your room! The color looks great with your walls and white trim.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

It looks wonderful....echoing other's comments!! I have to say when I scrolled down and saw the chair - I thought it looked good in there, too. Your marble tiles turned out gorgeous around the fp.

Job well done!

Smiles:)