Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roobear_gw

Gimp 2.6 tutorial videos are done!

roobear
14 years ago

There are 18 Gimp program screen recorded tutorials (with sound) free to download if you would like to learn how to use the computer program Gimp to "photoshop" images for exterior and interior home decorating and personal art. The videos are numbered in order for you to watch. My advice is to go through the videos and try to memorize/learn each section before moving on to the next video. If you watch too many videos at once, it could get a little overwhelming.

Download Instructions for PC

Step 1. Download the Program Gimp 2.6 here http://download.cnet.com/GIMP/3000-2192_4-10073935.html?tag=mncol if you already have downloaded Gimp 2.6, go on to step 2.

Step 2. The Gimp videos are in MP4 file format for smaller file size so you will need to Download QuickTime Media Player in order to play the videos. Download QuickTime Player here unless you already have it on your computer. http://download.cnet.com/Apple-QuickTime/3000-2139_4-10002208.html?tag=mncol

Step 3. I have uploaded the videos two different ways, one is all the individual 18 videos you can just download, the second is two compressed zipped files. If you choose to download the two zipped files, you will have to unzip or extract them after you download with a program like Winzip.

Download Regular 18 videos here http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=66f1684be18cedc9d8f14848abf485dd2ffa8fe66bdf371ef85d402b9fc3640c

You can either click on a video to download or move the mouse to the right by the word "share" and the "download" option should pop up next to it.

Or

Download the 2 zipped files here http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=66f1684be18cedc9d8f14848abf485ddf3fabeb07093d37487095ac91101628c

Step 5. Once the videos are downloaded you can left mouse click on them and go to the "open with" option and choose "QuickTime". These videos will not play in windows media player.

*If your movies are not playing in QuickTime, check to make sure your hardware acceleration is set to full.

To do this, Left Click the Mouse on an open area on the desktop, in the pop up menu go down to the "properties" option. This will bring up the Display windows, Click on the "settings" tab then click on the "advanced" button. It will open up another window, in that window click on the "troubleshoot" tab and make sure the "Hardware Acceleration" is set to "Full".

Comments (20)

• joanie_b
    14 years ago

roobear - What a wonderful, generous thing to do.
    I will definitely be taking advantage of your hard work.
    Thank you so much!

• joanie_b
    14 years ago

Don't want this to get lost in the shuffle :-)

• User
    14 years ago

Thank you Roobear! This is super nice of you. I'm going to be working on this over the weekend. :)

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

Roobear,
    This is great. I have downloaded the first 4 videos and have gone thru 1 and 2. I have already learnt a few things that I have been struggling with. I am so excited to try all these videos and learn this program even if only a bit.
    I can see I am not going to get much housework done today.
    I will let you know how I am doing throughout the day and coming days. Thank you so much for your work in all this.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I will save these to download while recovering from surgery. thanks for your generosity. stay warm up at the North Pole!

• andee_gw
    14 years ago

Roobear,
    I've been looking at sofas on-line, and am going to "shop" them into my LR photo. Thanks so much for this!

• User
    14 years ago

Thank you Roobear, BTW you have a lovely voice.

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

Roobear,
    A question. I have downloaded all the videos but Video 6 and video 18 were both very short downloads.
    Video 6 took 30 seconds and video 18 took 52 seconds
    whereas all the others were between 3 and 12 minuites to download. Is this OK?
    Thanks

• roobear
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys for all the Thank You's, it was my pleasure.

Lyban, your right, I went back and checked 18 is ok but 6 is not, I'll fix it and have it reuploaded in a few minutes, thanks for letting me know.

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

roobear,
    It might be OK. Because even though it only took me 30 seconds to downloaded when I watched my downloaded video it went on for the whole time.

• roobear
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lyban, Ok, well I replaced it just in case. LOL. I appreciate you letting me know how these are working. :)

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

Roobear,
    I have finished downloading all the tutorials and have quickly looked them all over. They play well and your instructions look easy to follow. Now, I know this can be a very frustrating program so I will take my time and keep referring back to your videos.
    Thanks again,

• User
    14 years ago

Ok I must be the only one that's goofy here.

When I clicked to download either link it's telling me I need to upgrade to pro and register at that site? Am I to be downloading them individually?

• roobear
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shee, you can try selecting more than one to download but you may have to download them one at a time. I think they take only take like 2 min to download per video, so maybe just put on a movie to watch while your downloading.

You don't need to register or upgrade to pro, I think if you do then you can bulk download. No rush though, I'm leaving them up for a long time.

• User
    14 years ago

Hey Roobear you beat me back to it. Thanks! I should've tried to only load one at a time before posting. I'm on #12 now. :)

• kaelkriver
    14 years ago

I too just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to put something like this together. I wasn't able to check the forum this weekend, but I was certainly delighted to see the tutorials when I checked this morning.

I can't wait to really take a look at them this evening. Thanks again for your generosity.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Joining the thank-you chorus :)

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Wow, roobear, what a generous gesture on your part!

I've had Gimp on my PC for years but always drift back to my preferred PaintShopPro and a few others. The nice thing for anyone learning this is the knowledge can be interchanged to some extent. After getting the hang of one photo edit program it makes the jump to different software much less painful. ;)

Would be great to see roobear's students dive in and try your hand at virtuals here if you've got some free time to play! Wish I had more time to doodle and play, it's a nice diversion. Anyway, encouraging you lots! It's always nice to see a variety of visions!

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

roobear,
    Another question for you. After I use a tool, sometimes it just follows me around and I cannot seem to get rid of it. Do you know what I mean.

• roobear
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm, Could it be that you still have the tool selected and just don't realize it?

For example, I select the paintbrush tool and do some painting on my butterfly image, then I go up to the menu at top (the mouse cursor will change to an arrow) and open another image to copy something from it into the butterfly image I'm working on.

When I go back into the project work area (big space where my butterfly image is) I will still have the paintbrush tool selected unless I choose a different tool from the tool box.

I can have a tool selected and with my mouse go to a window or the menu at top and the mouse cursor will change from whatever tool I have selected to an arrow. However when I go back to my project area the mouse cursor will change back to show the tool I have currently selected.