Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clg7067

Modern Dining Room Help

clg7067
11 years ago

I hope there are some modern lovers still here. I have been trying to work through this. My first choice, I love the chair and I love the rug,but they dont go together.

So, I started looking at leather (or fake leather) chairs and came up with this.

Now I know I hate the chair. I wanted to get 2 more Jacobson Series 7 chairs to match the 2 I have, but those cost $500 each.

I also want to throw this into the mix. I like a little variety. It's a lot smaller than it looks. It's about 3 feet tall and a hiding place for stuff like cameras and papers.

And my floor color.

So, I'm thinking I like the blue rug better. The table will be one of those white tables for sure. Any chair suggestions? I can't have fabric because of the dogs. And I sit there a lot on my laptop, so the chair has to be comfortable.

Comments (12)

• gmp3
    11 years ago

Why not get a more modern rug? I love the blue rug but it is traditional. If you went with the patterned chairs they would look great with a shaggy green rug, or some other more modern look like the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: modern rug

• clg7067
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I spent a lot of time looking at modern rugs and didn't find anything I like other than the shag. But, I have 3 hairy dogs, so I nixed the shag rug.

• clg7067
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There was one other rug I liked.

Here is a link that might be useful: wavy rug

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I'm not really sure what look you're going for. I'm a fan of eclectic, but there's a fine line between eclectic and hodgepodge. I think eclectic is more easily achieved when everything isn't purchased brand-new.

The two tables and the Jacobsen chairs read "modern" to me. The blue chair and the chair with the circle fabric read "contemporary" to me. The chest is a contemporary take on Arts & Crafts, which goes a bit too Pier One Zen for me with the canted sides. And the rugs, as noted above, are "traditional".

Maybe use your Jacobsen chairs at the head of the table and go with a reasonably-priced Ikea chair for side chairs. I really like the Bernhard chair, and it would work well with your table options. Then get a vintage Oriental rug for the floor. Vintage orientals can go modern very well, while a contemporary Oriental tends to go traditional/transitional. For the chest, consider either something truly vintage and A&C, or go with something mid-century modern, or something in a salvage/industrial vibe.

You could also go with a rug that is more tonal, without a pattern, really.

Tonal Rug: http://www.1800getarug.com/hand-knotted-8-x-86-square-nice-gabbeh-area-rug-sh7932
    Bernhard Chair: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80153070/

• clg7067
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will check out those rugs. Yep, I'm really hating the parsons chair, but I just found Jacobsen knock offs cheap at Room and Board.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I love the new chair and I think it goes well with the table style. I also love the jacobson chairs you already have-- and might be inclined to get something to "make do" until you can finish out the set. Ikea has some inexpensive chairs that I've seen others praise. I have no experience with them myself.

I have the blue rug above and I should warn you that it is much darker than the photo. I bought mine (round) from overstock so perhaps it was an "off" dye lot but it is definitely darker and leans a bit towards teal. This actually worked better for me-- but if you are counting on a light blue for the color scheme, it may throw you off.

• sochi
    11 years ago

I agree 100% jakabedy. The chairs you show (aside from the Jacobsens) are contemporary and not a great match for the table. I don't mind the blue rug (esp. now that I hear it is more teal than baby blue), although I agree that a vintage oriental might be better. But if you love it I think it could work. I agree that IKEA is a good option while you wait to get some more Jacobsens. Or better yet spend a few weeks checking out Craigslist or go to a few auctions and pick up some truly modern chairs.

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with that small dresser, I agree that something a little rawer/antiqued/unique would be ideal. It doesn't have to be a modern piece, but an antique semi-traditional dresser could be better fit with the modern table, IMO. Anything with some real character (which typically means not brand spanking new, unless it is reclaimed or distressed, etc.)

• funkyart
    11 years ago

What do you think of an oushak rug? They are a little less traditional.. I'd think it would work well with your modern style. Or maybe something with a little tribal vibe?

Here is a link that might be useful: oushak blue

• funkyart
    11 years ago

One of the things I love about the modern look is the mix of simple styles and color with wood tones-- especially with your jacobson chairs, I'd try the look without a rug.

I like the idea of rugless but I love rugs so I am not sure I'd be able to stick with it. Rugs are such a very personal thing, I wouldn't suggest a rug to you.. but these are two that I love that I think are interesting enough to add to a modern room rather than compete with it.

(I love the first one..but bf doesn't like asymmetrical designs. I guess now is the time to buy before he has a voice in the decor ;) )

This one is also safevieh (as is the light blue one you posted above). It has some of the same design elements but I think being borderless gives it a bit more of a modern feel.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

The second one would be my choice.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

If the table is bright white, you may want a rug that has some white in it, too.

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

The classic choice for textiles combined with modern design (particularly MCM) is tribal patterns that are more graphic and primitive than the very refined oriental rugs you're showing.

You can search "tribal rugs" for examples of what I mean.

Things more like this:

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler