Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaymielo_gw

How big of a rug do I need?

jaymielo
15 years ago

I know there are rules about this, but I don't know what they are. You have all recommended I get a rug for this room and I'm hoping to place an order today. However, when I went to add it to my cart, I realized I didn't know how big it needed to be. Is 5.5' x 8' big enough, which would cover most of the floor under the table, almost up to the tile on the fireplace but NOT reach under the couch and loveseat legs, or do I need to go larger, up to the 8' x 11' option, which would cover most of the wood in the area?

Here is the room

and from above, where you can get a little better perspective on the space

And this is the rug I'm considering

I'm also open to rug suggestions. I having a really hard time with this, as you can probably tell. We don't have a single area rug in our home right now. Would a more traditional rug clash with the style of the room? Please weigh in if you have an opinion!

Thank you! Jaymie

Comments (20)

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I'm already changing my mind. While rug #1, above, is "Mission", it just feels a little contemporary to me. I think this rug is gorgeous (albeit pricey).

Rug #2

This one isn't as nice, but isn't so expensive

Rug #3
    {{!gwi}}

Could I do a circle? Probably not, but I like this pattern.

Rug #4

• stinkytufted
    15 years ago

Hi Jay,

I would either go with a 5x8, 6x9 looks like it may be tight. maybe even consider augmenting the 5x8 with a runner parallel to the stairs. To get a good idea for size, cut and tape some newspapers into the size you're considering.

Or, you could go much larger, but it looks like that may interfere with your fireplace. Although, my preference would be to have all couches on a carpet

You have beautiful floors and furniture. The rug you showed pics of is very nice, but it does look like stained glass.

I would go with a traditional persian design,

If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget?

Here is a link that might be useful: Standard Rug Chart SIZES

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I tend to go with rug no. 3, and would pick the larger size for visual warmth. Personally I would pick a Persian rug with a dark blue background that has green and beige in it to pick up the color of your fireplace and walls. I believe you need a darker color to ground the room and the larger size to make a statement. You'll still have plenty of wood from what I can see. Often you can work a theme to death and a rug that is different from the style of your furniture, something with flowers in it, will play off agains the angularity of the furniture, especially if the rug is a masculine color like dark blue.

• stinkytufted
    15 years ago

I would get a rug with an ivory backgound with colors that are upbeat. I do agree you need some neutral colors to balance the rich hardwood, couches and overtone of red, but Rug 3 is a little dull for me.

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

stinkytufted, Thank you for your response! I really know nothing about rugs! What would be an example of a traditional persian design? It is hard to put an exact number on my budget. I'd really like to not spend a lot since we have little kids and dogs. Ideally, around $300-$400 (I know, nothing). I'm probably prepared without much persuasion to go up to $700-$800. Over $1000 and I gasp, but I do want the "right" rug for the space, so I'm keeping an open mind right now.

Laying newspapers down was a fabulous idea! Here is how the 6' x 8 1/2' foot rug (Rug #3 above) would "fit" in the space. Coincidentally, they sell a matching runner which I could put behind the couch if I wanted.

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

Oooooh I am salivating over number 2 ! That rug will make your fireplace POP which is a good thing because your fireplace is to die for! Plus it's a bit different not the same ol' run of the mill pattern that everyone has. I see your little blondie superman cutie. how old is he? I have a 5 year old blondie cutie boy myself lol.

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ingrid, Blue, huh? I'm trying to wrap my head around that one. I get into such ruts! Blue is never a color that calls to me, but I'll do some searching and keep an open mind.

lorriekay, I'm salivating over number 2 also, but not so much over the price! It is almost $1700! I'm drawn to the green though (again, in a rut!) and I like the bigger pattern. My little superman is 3. He wasn't up for moving from his game and I was afraid if I didn't snap the picture he would ruin the "paper rug"! :)

• stinkytufted
    15 years ago

wow, 6x8 is perfect going by the layout. Such a beautiful room too with great light.

Personally, I don't like to give design advise unless I know someone well (no offense, it's just that I'm new to the board here).

However, what I can tell you is to stay away from machine made synthetics and tufted rugs. Go for either a hand knotted wool rug, or go with a machine made wool rug.

The reasons for this involve several things. Tufted rugs have a limited lifetime. I know a lot of people don't mind the idea of a disposable rug, but that's exactly what tufted rugs are.

I thought this excerpt was interesting:

'Everyone is going 'green' and earth friendly now. While wool rugs will ofter the advantage of using a renewable resource, not all rugs are 'green' in the sense of long term. Such is especially the case with tufted rugs. They're heavy to transport, and have a significantly shorter lifespan than a hand knotted rug. What does this mean? A loose example: Let say the average, middle grade Oriental Rug has a lifespan of 60 years, and the average hand tufted rug has an age of 10 years (being optimistic). You're looking at 6 hand tufted rugs for each hand knotted rug purchased. That's 6x more transportation, 6x more junk in a landfill... nevermind the odors which sometimes emanate from these rugs, the VOC's and off gasses sometimes associated with these rugs too. Synthetic rugs, and sometimes compounds used in production of tufted rugs may contribute to an in home toxin level up to five times more hazardous than the air outside your house as estimated by the EPA. '

Personally, I would go with something that is in the realm of neutral colors, with bright Topical (accent colors) to bring out and accentuate the beautiful golden red overtones of the room. A rug that is predominantly ivory, with bright reds, greens and other would be great.

Jay, The rug you had a picture of is great, my only concern would be the accent colors are not in high enough contrast to really let the room speak loud for what it is. I would get brighter, more confident colors because that's how the room speaks to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quoted excerpt on Hand Tuft

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much again for the response stinkytufted. As I said, I know so little about rugs because it is one realm of decorating that I haven't forayed into before. I appreciate knowing to look for a wool, either hand knotted or machine made, rug.

I agree that the colors in rug #3 might be too pastel for the room. I'll continue to look for something that has a bit more contrast. If anyone has stumbled across something they think would work in past searches, please share!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I just finished writing a big response and it went poof when I tried to check the link.

This is a pic of a rug I really wanted for my dining room. Turned out a rectangle wouldn't work in my space. It's called a flat weave and if you want the quality and durability of hand-knotted without the price tag to match, it's the way to go.

They are also reversible which is great with kids and pets. Mine was from Grandin Road but the one I'm trying to link for you is called "Copper Sumak" from Frontgate. They have a 30 day return policy with free return shipping, too. 20% off sale.

The rug police will be after you if you get a "floating" rug, lol. Your space is big enough for an 8 x 10 and if it gets too close to the fireplace you can just tuck it under the sofa a bit more. These kind of rugs are being shown in very nice houses and magazines. I had my eye on a smaller one for a while and just went out and bought it today. Now I have to find a place for it.

Love how you home is coming along!

Here is a link that might be useful: Soumak

• stinkytufted
    15 years ago

Good point. Soumac rugs are going to have some very good durability. For the most part, you're looking somewhere in the vicinity of $8-20 per square ft. In other words, for a 5x8 or 6x9, you're in the area of $400 to $900 at retail for the most part. The are durable, but as it was noted above, this is a flatwoven rug, so you're not going to have a cushion for the pile.

I did see you have a "little one" in the home wearing a superman costume :) It's nice to have some cushion in the living room, especially with the young ones running around and playing.

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was afraid the rug police would be after me! I knew there were "rules"! I really like the rug you linked. I wonder how it would play with the yellow/gold in the walls. Thank you also for the hint about "flat weave". I'll do some searches for that! Jaymie

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

I'm not very daring so my vote is for your original rug. It's personality is perfect for your mission style furniture. You can add interest with wall art, etc.

• stinkytufted
    15 years ago

I would agree with K9, but the scone wall clashes too hard with the white wine field

15 years ago

I do believe that the rug the size of the newspaper is too small. The carpet should fit under the front of the couch and chair and not just "float" in the middle of nowhere. I still think a dark blue with other colors would look great but that's just my opinion. I'm enclosing a picture of my dining room rug (I'm sorry it only shows such a small area) to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. There are so many rugs out there; take your time and find the one that YOU love and that speaks to you. Good luck!

Ingrid

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

Ingrid, as I look into your living room, your sofa doesn't appear to be on the rug and it looks fine -- not as if it's floating.

15 years ago

Oops, busted! That's actually not my living room but my front entry, and the rug had to be lined up with the arched entryway to the dining room and living room and the love seat had to be against the wall and that's why it's positioned where it is. We tried it various ways but this was the only way it looked right. Obviously a case of don't do what I do but do what I say. Very clever of you to have spotted that, I'm actually blushing a little!

• loribee
    15 years ago

I love #3 and the size that you have layed out with the newspapers. I would get the runner also but for in front of your door. Gorgeous room! :)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

It's much easier to clean wood under furniture than vacuuming a rug. It might not look as great but the newspaper layout is fine. I would get that just for the sake of cleaning if nothing else. I have two dogs and while they are magnificently trained, if they ever feel sick (sometimes) the rugs take the abuse. I wish they would do it on the hardwood!

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ingrid, Beautiful room, and too funny about the rug in your entryway! LOL!

Loribee, Thanks for the vote. I'm stymied right now. I guess this is why I don't have any rugs! ;-)

bumblebeez, good point about cleaning and dogs. Our dogs are exact same way. We have all this hardwood, but if they are sick or if they are eating some people food, they are guaranteed to do it on the rug! Crazy!