Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngirl1913_gw

Christmas Tree Decor

southerngirl1913
9 years ago

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new to the group but I've lurked on/off for a long time. At any rate, I have a Christmas tree decor questions. I put my tree in our formal dining room as there is a large bay window that faces the front of the house. Problem is we have maroon wallpaper that I hate but we are not able to change at this time.

Typically I use traditional red, gold, green colors in my tree. But I'm wondering if it is clashing too much with the wallpaper. Should I switch to gold, white, clear theme? I've included a pic from last year.

Suggestions appreciated

Comments (10)

• mboston_gw
    9 years ago

I have maroon in my formal dining room and living room where I put my Christmas tree. I have changed decorations over the years. I started out with marroon and pink. Then switched to silver and maroon, then gold and maroon and then silver and gold. My tree skirt is always maroon and I try to find wrapping paper to go with whatever colors I am using but that is sometimes hard to do. I like the different color schemes rather than the traditional green and red.

Try it and see what you think.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think it looks very pretty! Even though you don't like the maroon wallpaper, it is a perfect backdrop for Christmas.

MY LR is in grays and golds.....the Christmas reds and greens clash horribly.

• southerngirl1913
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Joanie and Mboston! I may try a different color theme and see it I like it. It will be hard for me to break away from the traditional colors as most of my ornaments center around those colors.

• lindainct
    9 years ago

Your tree looks lovely. Have you considered using it in another room and putting up a second tree in your dining room?

We have several trees, each decorated differently. The living room has the more formal tree decorated with gold and pastel ornaments and garland. The family room has the traditional tree, all red and green. The other four trees hold my husband's collection, ornaments from the 40's and 50's, nature and garden ornaments and my slim artificial kitchen tree which is filled with food,appliance and utensil ornaments.

As is evident, I love Christmas and enjoy finding ornaments for our trees.

Linda

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I would think a maroon backdrop would be perfect for a Christmas tree.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I think it looks perfectly lovely. Your tree is beautiful and nicely decorated and as Tib said burgundy is a great backdrop for a Christmas tree.

When my children were young we had mostly home made ornaments and a hodgepodge of gifted ornaments. It wouldn't have won a design award but it was homey and decorated with love.

When the children grew up and started their own households I gave them most of the family ornaments and I chose burgundy and gold decorations for the tree with some of our cherished ornaments thrown in for good measure. I never considered if the ornaments matched the furnishings.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I actually think the deep color backdrop looks great with your tree! Besides, it's Christmas decorating, and the only time of year you don't need to be concerned about things matching. At least that's my 'rule'.

For 20+ years i decorated using light pink and gold. A few years later I added in a fuschia with the light pink and gold. A couple of years ago I added in lime green and used the fuschia pink only. I didn't have a stitch of the light pink, fuschia, or lime green in any of my decorating, just loved those colors for a Christmas tree.

Last year, on a whim, I decided it was a time for change and to get away from the pink and lime green. I went out after Christmas an bought 96 ornaments for a little over $76(75% off!!), all black/gold or black/silver. They're not boxed ornaments(although I bought a couple of boxes of a satin black), but the kind that are sold single, like butterflies, dragonflies, and all sorts of things black and metallic. I also bought leopard print ones, so i'll probably incorporate a leopard print ribbon among the other decorating I'll do in *this* rooom, which is the Great Room. I do several other trees, about 7 or 8, thruout the house, and the only one that will be colorful will be the Mardi gras tree I do in the upstairs family room.

I'll start after Thanksgiving, and it will take about 5 days to do the whole house. I look forward to it every year, even though it is quite a chore!

• amylou321
    9 years ago

I think your tree looks great! Even though you dont like the wallpaper, it works well for christmas because it is a dark color that wont compete with the lights. .Of course, if it really bothers you, you can do what i do and put up so many obnoxious lights and decorations that no one notices the walls. In fact, my walls are white and BORING...so i wrap them. Many different kinds of wrapping paper..on every wall. I do this for home and office. Walls and doors. And in my office i have a tray ceiling and wrap the tiles too. And my file cabinets..and the fridge...you get the idea. However, I can tell from your picture and the other posts that most people here like a subtle elegance to their christmas decorations. If that is what you're going for, you nailed it with your tree from last year. It does not clash at all (trust me i know ALL about clashing decorations...even if i do it on purpose LOL)

• southerngirl1913
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are a tremendous help! I really enjoy Christmas time and decorating. The wallpaper was giving me anxiety and you guys helped ease my stress.

I have thought about moving the tree to another area but it works well in the formal dining room because it is out of the high traffic areas of our open floor plan (kitchen, family room area).

Hopefully we will have a post your tree thread on this forum so I can see all the lovely trees you guys come up with!

• natalie72
    9 years ago

Looks beautiful! New to this website & forums. Wish I had known of this while we were building our house. Love this time of year & all the fun Christmas decorations! Your tree is so pretty I would not even had noticed the wall paper.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm