Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dody40_gw

Help with mirror wall

dody40
9 years ago

After my husband died on July 4th, I could not afford to stay in my 7 room house of 42 years. I have moved to a senior complex. I am 74. It is has a living room, bedroom, tiny bath and a ridiculously tiny kitchen. I had to make a decision on whether to bring my beautiful china cabinet or my piano. The piano won out and I am not sorry. I had to get rid of 3/4 of my collection of Pfazlscraft and blue willow dishes. (sad)

I could not get my couch into the apartment, so I have just the recliner and the glidder (that was was my dear sister's) and a wooden rocker that I rocked my babies in.

Anyway, my rent is based on my income, so you can see that I do not have a lot of 'free spendable' money.
I would like some help on what to do with the wall the mirror is on over the piano. It looks fine to me, but I am wondering if I should add to it.

I know the canvas picture is too high, and I am going to lower it, but want to make a decision on the mirror wall first.
(The foot stool that goes with the glidder is out of place.)

So I was hoping you could give me some advice.

Dody

This post was edited by dody40 on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 10:07

Comments (25)

• dody40
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the little rocker that I love.

I keep my potatoes on the top shelf of the book case and my canister set on the next shelf, I had to get creative, because of lack of space.

Dody

This post was edited by dody40 on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 9:59

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I am sorry for your loss.

I must say your apartment looks to be a lot larger then some of apartment I have visited in senior complexes around here.

Have you thought about just changing your family portrait with the mirror? It looks like the portrait will balance your piano a bit better.

ML

• dody40
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As you can see from this picture, the gallery kitchen is short on space. I put up the shelf over the sink, bought the little cart and my son built me the (coat rack) shelf over the cart. Again, as I said before, I had to get creative.

I know I shouldn't bother you folk with your gorgoreous homes, but this is just right for me, so easy to keep up and I don't even have to change a light bulb or a battery. I love it.

dody

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I had the same thought as maddielee, to switch the portrait with the mirror.

• dody40
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are great, I have always had the mirror over the piano, so I did not see it any other way. I am going to change it and see how it looks.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Dody, it so nice to hear that you love your new place. You have some of your treasures and you have the rest of your memories stored in your heart. You've made your place cozy and inviting and suited it to your needs. You've done well. It all seems perfect to me.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

dody, you have done a fine job with making your apartment your own. I applaud your ingenuity on finding extra storage in unexpected places. And I like your blue and white color scheme.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

I think it is a nice place, too! And let us know if switching the picture and the mirror works out. Best of luck!

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Might you move the piano a few inches off from the side wall? It looks like it is almost in the corner. The potholders on shelf in the kitchen reads black on my computer. Might they be changed out to yellow or medium blue? I love your colors and all your lovely things. I wish you happiness in your new place.

• lovestowalk
    9 years ago

You have done a wonderful job making your new home lovely. Your living room rug is beautiful!!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

(((Hugs))) Dody. You have a lovely home. Your rocker is beautiful and I love that corner with your rocker, table, and lamp. What lovely memories you must have of your children as babies and rocking them in that chair.

I hope when I downsize that I will be able to accomplish what you have. A beautiful, neat and tidy space to enjoy my treasured pieces.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Dody, I'm sorry about the loss of your husband. I lost mine 10 years ago and you seem to be doing remarkably well with all the changes in your life.

Your new place is very cute. I also like the idea of swapping your mirror and family portrait.

Stay in touch with GW. Show us how you're settling into your new place.

• dody40
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of me with the love of my life.

• dody40
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did switch out the portrait with the mirror and I think it looks really good. The antique mirror did not look good over the jewelry case (It is the only place that I have for the jewelry case) so I switched it out with another mirror that I had in the shared entryway. As soon as I can get my niece to come over, I will have her take a picture.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Dody, I'm so, so sorry about your loss. I remember your previous posts about your home from some time ago.
    I love that photo!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Many of us may have larger living spaces than you but yours is so nicely decorated and so warm.

I just want to come in and sit down for a few minutes. That rug is so pretty and your place is cheery.

It's nice that you have relatives who will come in and give you a hand to make it even nicer and more efficient to live in.

I'm sorry about the loss of your husband.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

My goodness, do not apologize for having a small living space. You should be bragging about it, IMO. It's the gigantic homes, with 5 living rooms, that are energy hogs, etc., that should be excusing themselves! (That is between you and me, Dody. Don't tell anyone!).

Btw, you look like a Dody! So great.

And how lucky and wonderful that you found the love of your life. Makes missing him that much more difficult, I'm sure. Take heart in knowing that he's happy because it sounds like you were the love of his life as well.

• voila
    9 years ago

Sending my condolences to you, Dody. A lot of us have lost a spouse and know how difficult it is. I am glad that you have family near by. The picture of you and your husband is so touching. You certainly have a lot of spunk! Maybe that comes from being well loved. You should be proud of yourself for making all these big decisions. I just love your blue and white décor. We all want to stop for a chat and a cup of coffee. I'd bring over blueberry muffins. :) I hope you are happy in your new home and find lovely friends there. Please keep in touch. We'll be waiting for the new picture. Bet it looks nice over the piano.

• teeda
    9 years ago

I am very sorry for the loss of your beloved husband. What a great looking couple you were! I think you have done a lovely job with your new apartment. It is so welcoming, with cozy touches everywhere. I love the way you have arranged your kitchen to include displays of your blue willow. You have a great eye. Wishing you much health and happiness.

• dody40
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My son in Florida sent me a camera for Christmas, so I am now able to take pictures again.
    This is how it looks now that I have swapped out the picture on canvas with the antique mirror. I think it looks sooo much better.
    The picture is not crooked, (I have measured it) must be the way I held the camera.
    Would like your opinion on this. Is it OK or should I still do something different.
    I really need to find an other location for the jewelry chest. I will work on it.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think that looks much better, Dody!

• dody40
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, Let's see, I took the mirror down as to my eye, it didn't look right with the picture, too much same size. I put it in my entry way and it looks fine there.
    Because of taking down the mirror I was able to move the jewelry chest over. I tried it in different location in the apartment and it just did not work anywhere else. I put up some old pictures of my kids in beautiful antique frames. I still need to add something to the right of the pictures, am not sure just what. I may try a couple of small Christmas wreaths there, then after Christmas, if they look alright, I would try to find a couple at Joanne's.

• springroz
    9 years ago

That looks wonderful. Funny, I remembered that picture over the piano from before. I am so glad you came back to catch up, and I am so sorry to hear about your husband. He looks and sounds like a great man!

I love your apartment! What you have done with it is amazing.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Yes!, I like your grouping of photos better.

ML

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I like to photo arrangement better also.

How does that old saying go, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Seems like you've got a lot of fight in you. Able to change with circumstances and be happy where you're planted.

I see a lovely home.