Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charley526

Fireplace wall

charley526
13 years ago

All of my decorating projects are on hold until this fireplace wall is finished. My husband wants to put neutral marble tile facing & a custom built colonial style mantel-painted white.

I have 2 issues: The TV cabinet. How should we finish it? Paint or stain; color suggestions?

The other issue is the small wall space surrounding the tv cabinet. The plaster guy did a lousy job twice, & it's driving my husband nuts. He doesn't think just painting it will be good enough, so he thinks it should be wallpapered. Is that crazy?? If not do you have any suggestions? Pics would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Oh & I'm trying to talk him into getting rid of the light fixture directly above the fp. Any comments on that would be appreciated as well.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (28)

• Sujafr
    13 years ago

Lovely home! I think you might consider using white molding to trim it all out to go with the white mantel and leave just the TV showing. If you google "fireplace with tv above white mantel" and then click on Images in the upper left corner, you'll see many ideas (and some not related), that may give you some inspiration. Here's one image with this article: White mantel with TV above. Hope this links to the right thing since I'm new at this linking.

I can't imagine the wallpaper idea, so won't comment on that. The linked article tells how to even camo the TV, but I was just going with the look and assuming what you see is the TV. I think you could put some white open-weave fabric over the speaker section though if you choose to enclose that. The moldings would probably hide any problems with the plaster. For the record--I have nothing to do with these sites linked and only offer them for inspiration pictures.

You have obviously done a lot of work planning this and hope it turns out like you envisioned!

Here is a link that might be useful: Another site with inspiration pics

• jey_l
    13 years ago

I'd cover the speaker with and acoustical fabric and trim out the entire wall w/ pilasters on the corners and a mantel to separate the two and fabricate doors with shutter hardware to hide the TV but that will also lay flat on the wall when open. I'd also get rid of the huge speakers and incorporate them into the sides of the pilasters.

• jlj48
    13 years ago

Lovely home! I would get rid of the light fixture and install a pot light instead. I agree with trimming out the fireplace. I would not do wallpaper, I just cannot visualize it looking good I guess. I would paint it out white to match everything else and I think your moldings will hide any flaws.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

My idea might not work in your home for various reasons. If it were me, I would think about doing something dark on that entire wall, so the 3 dark rectangles that you see when you look at the wall(the fireplace, the TV, and the speaker) all just blend away. If you want the TV to be a focal point, then it's fine to use light color paint there.

You could do this with some sort of dark wood, or dark tiles or a dark paint color that compliments the rest of your room, which is very nice.

In my house, as much as we love our big TV, I want it to just blend away and not be a focal point.

And I agree about the light fixture, needs to go. Can you do a recessed light there?

Good luck, and make sure to post pictures when you are done.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In regards to hiding the TV, I was thinking of trying a painting from http://www.television-art.com/index.htm. Do you think that will look...well, tacky? I think I could even make one myself w/ a favorite framed painting & the right hardware...
    So, if I understand correctly, most of you suggest paneling/trimming the exposed wall space & painting it white to match the mantel. Should the TV housing/cabinet be white also?

Here is a link that might be useful: Television Art

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

Thanks for the TV art link - that could work well in some cases. Since your TV tilts down, presumably the artwork would tilt down as well - which might look odd. And you would still have the smaller black box above detracting from the art.

IMO, Jey_1's suggestion is perfect, altho' perhaps more money.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought about the tv tilt already & I have fix in mind for that if I do go that route later on. I'm not too concerned about hiding the tv & speakers right now. I really need to concentrate on the cabinet, the wall and the mantel finish.
    I talked my husband out of his crazy wallpaper idea. We are now considering Beekeeperswife's suggestion of an overall dark treatment for that wall.
    Any more comments you have are appreciated!
    Thanks everyone!

• jey_l
    13 years ago

If you can post some dimensions and pictures of the columns (the rest of the LR) and other details you like about your house and give me a couple of days I can give do some drawings you can pick apart.

I checked out your link but didn't spend too much time there because nothing caught my eye and the prices seemed rather high for mass production prints and nothing really appeared too functional. What I am talking about would be something like the image I linked to below so that when the door is opened the two center pieces flank the TV.

... and while you didn't hear it from me you can do it with MDF if birch plywood or laminated HDF is beyond you budget.

Sorry the picture won't display here but the links should work and I have nothing to do with ginny's.com.

http://www.ginnys.com/assets/motif/ocpsdk/generic/scene7/images/spacer.gif

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/SwissColony/078492?$gbMain350$

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jey 1: Thanks for offering to do that!! I'd love to see what you come up with. We had considered doors to cover the TV, but my husband decided that he didn't like it. He may change his mind if he sees something he likes.

Your first link doesn't work.

Here's a w/ link to more photos of the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: My House

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Hi Charley,

Here is a sketch of a rough idea. The proportions are off but I will clean those up when you get a chance to post the dimensions. The links were very helpful but I am wondering if you have any shots somewhere showing the tops of the columns? What style and size of tiles does your husband want to use for the surround?

Can you post the dimensions of the width, depth and height of the FP wall as well as the sizes of the openings including the separate heights of the TV niche and upper speaker? I also noticed the hearth changes in a few of the pictures which one is the most recent/accurate.

Thanks Jey

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Oh, and the distance from the FP wall to the window would be useful too.

thx again,

Jey

• Sujafr
    13 years ago

Wow, Jey! What a talent you have! Charley, if this doesn't convince your DH, nothing will. While I personally might be inclined to have less, this is really impressive!

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jey,
    That looks fantastic!! That is very similar to our original idea when we first moved into the house 3 years ago. The most recent pics are the ones that have the hearth set into place (w/rust drapes). I don't have my husband's plans with me for the mantle & tile style. But I'll give as much info as I can.
    Building out the sides will interfere with my ultimate plan to reset new drapery rods higher & wider to allow more light into the room.
    There is only 14" of space between the FP wall & window trim. The speakers are 8"x43". And there are floor vents flanking the FP, so the speakers are 7" away from the sides of the FP wall. I may be able to persuade my husband to relocate the speakers so they won't be an issue. I let him put the TV over the FP, so I think he'll compromise ;)
    I'll post measurements real soon. Have to run out for a bit!
    Thanks again!! You are awesome!

• milomickey
    13 years ago

Hi Jey,
    Your design is beautiful! I've been looking for ideas for my fireplace wall and I love the look of your drawing.
    Now lets see what hubby thinks since he's the builder in the family.
    Thanks so much for sharing this

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dimensions:
    FP Wall
    Depth 20 1/4"
    Width 76"
    Height 96"

Recessed Cabinet (housing the TV & speaker)
    Overall Height from ceiling 42"
    Overall width 49 5/8"
    Speaker Niche opening Height 8 3/8"
    TV niche opening Height 28 5/8"
    Facing trim is 1 1/2"

FP 41"w x 36"h

14" of space between the FP wall & window trim

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Hi Charley, everyone

Thanks for the compliments.

Sorry for the off colors but I really don't have a renderer that works with my present computer. Let me know what you think and I can detail it out if you'd like. This design can't fit hinged doors but a nice tapestry made into a roman shade would look great. I am also trying to show a faux finish on the FP walls. What kind of budget are you working with?

What is the height of the FP opening off the floor?

Thanks
    Jey

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! Looks great! The (8" wide) black firebox facing is 2 1/2" up from the hearth. I don't think there's anything we can do about that black facing :/
    And the windows are a lot smaller--24 1/2" up from floor.

You read my mind about the tapestry! I've been collecting samples in my favorites folder for over a year in case I ever decide to go that route.

Here's the latest pic, I moved some things to get a better view.
    {{!gwi}}

• redecor8
    13 years ago

If someone suggested adding columns to the fireplace and described this idea I, honestly, would have thought it would look terrible. But Jey proves that a picture is truly worth a thousand words because it looks great!

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Thanks Charley,

What brand and model is your FP? I was showing a tile surround in front of the metal. Knowing the brand model will let me know what needs to be done to do this. How H, W and deep is the hearth and is it possible to raise it a bit? This will help with the proportions of the mantel. I am trying to keep the top of the mantel flush with the TV niche. I did have a couple of other ideas so if you don't care for this style so let me know. If there is something you don't like about it or want to change or add feel free to let me know.

Thanks
    Jey

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Thanks redecor8,

Charley,

I noticed I am showing the windows a bit too large. What size are they and the 14" is to the casing or to the jamb?

Thanks
    Jey

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The firebox is by Heat & Glo model # RH 36. The hearth can not be raised; it measures 3/4" x 14" x 69". I see on the mfg's website they show this model w/stone over that metal frame! We didn't think it was possible; I'll have to show my husband when he gets home tonight.
    My husband's detailed plans show the mantel shelf abutting the TV niche face frame.
    The windows measure 38" x 62" (including the casing). The 14" is to the casing-- that means the moulding/trim, right? :/
    Ultimately, he's going to do what HE envisions in his mind in regards to style.... But the color combination is a real issue! So many details to consider! Wall color, Mantel surround color, tile color, etc.

What you are doing is sooo helpful! Thank you!

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Hi Charley,

Page 41of the installation manual states that it can be covered with a non-combustable material. If your DH doesn't want you to post his design on the web you can email me by clicking on my name and I can incorporate his design with the technical specs if you want.

Jey

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jey,
    He drew up plans back when the TV cabinet was built; I'm not convinced that he has a clear picture of the mantel surround. He's hard to get a hold of lately...working very long hours. If I can find his plans, I will post them.

Thanks again Jey!

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Hi Charley,

Here's another other idea that I had.

The columns can be paneled, fluted or plain but if you want plain I would recommend round.

Still can't get the colors right but IME what you want is a textured look that includes the dark colors from your floor and the colors from your wall. I am assuming a faux any because I have no idea what your budget is. The artwork should be bold and include darker shades of both. Sorry about the ugly lights but I was just trying to get the colors to work. Look forward to seeing your plans and tile selection.

Jey

• jey_l
    13 years ago

assuming a faux finish...

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My husband likes this 12" marble tile. What do you think about the color? The sample I saw is very white w/gray veins.
    He's thinking the tile will be set to cover that black metal firebox frame, with a small reveal. There will not be any wall space showing between the tile and the mantel surround (in your picture I can see the wall space). Does that make sense to you?

{{!gwi}}

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We've chosen this marble for the fireplace facing.
    :))

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Hi Charley,

Great selection. I like this much better than the white one.

The first image was using the white. It looked too monolithic so I used a red to break it up. The second one is with the Emperador but is still recessed immediately at the fireplace. They have some nice borders that you can use too. Were you able to track down your husbands plan for the mantel?

Jey