Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlweaving_marji

Looking for help with colors - Library

mlweaving_Marji
10 years ago

I'm putting together my interior plans by room, and I need help choosing colors.
I'm going to start with the library/study here. It doesn't relate in any way to the rest of the house. I'm using a rug from our previous homes, and working from there.
The artwork is existing, the chairs are what I want, I'm buying the end table today, and the plantation shutters are going in in white. I've found a picture with the windows that we'll have, and I plan to get the plantation shutters not covering the transom window, as shown in the pic. The white plantation shutters have been approved by ARB, so they are a given, not subject to change.

The lamp is a whimsy, but probably a bit OTT thematically. Do you like it or do I need to back off on the theme?

As for color, the left half of the slide is in SW Compatible Cream, the right half in SW Chamois. I pulled both colors from the artwork using the Chip_it program. Our builder uses Sherwin Williams paints, so I'd like to stay in their palette.
Across the top of the pic is a bar of SW Greek Villa, which is the trim color being carried throughout the house. In this room it'll be on crown molding, windows, and the glass french doors leading to the foyer.

Do you like either one? Any other suggestions?

Also in the room is a cherry desk, don't have a pic of it. And a chair that is in brown/red tones, also don't have a pic of. It can be reupholstered someday if need be, so it's not in play here.

edit to add close up of rug, which does have some gold tones too

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 10:00

Comments (47)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my I love that rug! I actually love all of it. I love SW paints. I like the compatible cream. To me the chamois is too deep of a color but I tend to like colors that are a bit lighter in tone.

May I ask the manufacturer of the table? I love it and I am looking for an end table like that.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think the compatible cream may go better with your art and rug. Are lighter blue and gray out?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm curious...is there a reason you don't want the SW sundew from chip it? It looks like a lot of green in the chamois and a lot of yellow in the compatible cream. I see the yellow in the artwork, but not so much in the rug. I like the shell lamp and think it works well.

• User
    10 years ago

I love the color palette you came up with. I also agree the compatible cream is a better choice. It works well as a backdrop to all the other lovely items you have going on. It is going to be a lovely room ! c

• teacats
    10 years ago

O.K. my vote is for Tricorn Black ... the room has lots of light -- and light trim too -- and the black walls would balance the visual weight of the black TV and the rug.

Love the lamp! And the artworks!

Add black chairs and ottoman (or the chairs could be recliners) an re-do the additional chairs in rich red

• indygo
    10 years ago

I love the way the compatable cream brings out that light between the sails.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

IMHO Chamois is too dark and kind of Pottery Barn to me.

I vote for Compatible Cream

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

IMHO Chamois is too dark and kind of Pottery Barn to me.

I vote for Compatible Cream

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the input.
    Holly-Kay, the table is on sale at Goods Home Furniture in NC. Its the Brookhaven End Table by Hooker Furniture #281-80-116

Annie, I originally mocked up this room using Sundew, and my dh hated it! He thinks it's too boring, bland, beige. Sigh.
    So I went looking for inspiration on what else to do at Houzz, my #1 resource for judging how something will look.
    There are several views of this room, and in every view the color is different. It's actually the next one deeper on the color card, something? bronze.

[Traditional Home Office[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-home-office-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_732~s_2107) by Biloxi Architects & Designers RJ Elder Design

Right now I'm not on my own Mac computer, I'm on someone elses PC, and the colors are SO different I didn't even recognize the photo I put up.

Teacats, the natural light in the room is limited by the fact that there is a covered porch outside those windows. It is a southern exposure, but will always be shaded, by huge Liveoak trees and that roof. Also, the base of the rug is blue, the leather chairs are actually blue, and I found a silk shade for the lamp that is navy.
    I'm thinking black would not work.

Eventually maybe there will be natural wood bookcases in this room.

So, I'm going to color it all in in the 3d room planner and see if I can swing Compatible Cream by the dh.

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom, Grey probably would work, but since all the rest of the house is in cool tones I thought I'd decorate this room with a nod to the rich warm library tones we're used to, being from the northern climes.
    I'd actually love bronze walls if they didn't go green on me!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

That's so interesting about your DH...I know so many guys who are afraid of color...

The wall in your inspiration room is a deep brown...I think it's just the way the light is hitting it that it's giving it that bronze glow. In the part of the room that's in daylight, it really is brown.

[Traditional Home Office[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-home-office-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_732~s_2107) by Biloxi Architects & Designers RJ Elder Design

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You might want to run a pic of your rug through color palette fx too as it may yield a wider color selection than chip it!

It looks to me like there is a nice bluish green in the leaves in the carpet that you might like and I think it would work well with the art.

SW Compose

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie, I'll do it when I'm back at my own computer.
    the computer I'm on now shows that sample above as baby blue. I couldn't imagine baby blue, so went and looked at my iphone. Composed 6472 is very close to the palette of colors we're using in the rest of the house.
    It's a possibility.

I looked at the questions section on the 3 pics of that library. the color, acc'd to RJ Elder Design the color was "Best Bronze" by Sherwin-Williams". Color is 6160, which, as it turns out, is several color cards towards brown from where I was with Chamois.6131.
    Consensus here is still that the deep color is too deep.

I'm afraid that comfortable cream won't fly with dh either.

Unfortunately, I have to choose paints months before I'll see that rug again. It's in storage and totally inaccessible. The room it was in in the last house was painted a Ralph Lauren red, and it was gorgeous in there.

What does anyone know about metallic finishes or glazes for interior wall paints?
    probably too much for this small room, and it IS small.

I think if we end up with a mid-range sea green then I'll have to change the chairs. Too much navy blue.

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 15:11

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

palette from fx

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

edit, redundant

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 13:13

• loribee
    10 years ago

I think the room would really sing with a deep golden/ light bronze color. I love the Chamois or I'd even go deeper with a similar-type LA gold #4 or 5.

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blue

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bronze
    edit to add a chair color

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 13:16

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

since Blonde hasn't garnered any support at all, I'm replacing it with the suggested Aluetian

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 13:18

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and green. I think if I went green I need to change out the navy leather.
    ...and I just got the leather samples in the mail.

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 8:25

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I vote for undersea.

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BusyBee suggested going darker.
    I'm willing to continue this exercise until both hubby and I are in agreement and like it. So I'm grateful for the continued help.

Edit to replace this picture with the darker blue, Distance, which is one darker on the color card than the Bracing Blue.

I used the hexidecimal color #'s and went to colorencyclopedia and translated those colors to paint, and painted in the roycroft copper, the marooned, and another red. And while they are beautiful colors, the copper and maroon were all wrong for the rug, and I just don't want another red room. I've done that.

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 13:11

• rosie
    10 years ago

If it were mine, Mlweaving, I'd choose a wall color that looked its best in artificial light since, by nature, reading most often occurs with a lamp on. It might also help your decision to add a picture of your books on shelves, in appropriate amount, to your board since they are such a powerful design element.

It's looking very pleasant so far, though. Love the rug.

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rosie. Right now we're calling this the study/library/tv room. But my built in bookcases are going into the main living room. I have a wall reserved in here for "someday" bookcases.
    What will be prominent is a TV and the artwork.
    My husband has the John Mecray "Columbia vs Shamrock" that I've included in the mockup.
    I think for Christmas I'm going to give him "flying Home"

Those paintings are huge. Framed they're something like 36x48. I'm thinking one on the long wall along with the chart of Port Royal Sound, and one on the TV wall.

• springroz
    10 years ago

Oh, I love the bronze! Everything else looks a little "flat".

It is going to be a gorgeous home!!

Nancy

• busybee3
    10 years ago

if i were going with a blue, i would go abit deeper than the bracing blue... i don't think that's the right tone, esp for a library...
    my other pic would be to try the bronze...
    this is interesting for me and has me thinking because we have a rug similar to yours which will be going in a library and i am unsure which color direction i'll go in at this point...!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I think it's going to be fabulous! I also really like the bronze.

• User
    10 years ago

So far I don't think any of the colors you've posted really ring the bell. The bronze does not reference anything at all in the room. I like the color itself but your furnishings against it would look they were all moved to the room before you had a chance to paint it the right color, IMO. Have you thought about a light to medium gray with blue undertones?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If you want to stick with the blues, try SW Aleutian

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kswi, the samovar silver is a light grey with blue undertones.
    I don't particularly like it, although it probably pretty closely matches the blue/grey in the inner border on the rug.

I'm curious why you'd suggest a grey.

I'm looking at the bronze as an excellent backdrop for the artwork. I'm not sure the grey does anything for the artwork.

Does anyone think that the bronze would work better if I change the leather to a brown?
    Think I'll go back and edit the bronze photo to include brown chairs, see if that makes a difference.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Hi Marji - love what you are doing with your room and the mockups that you have done. Add me to another vote for the bronze, which is odd because I usually favor blues and grays. I think of study, library as warm and rich, and the bronze seems to hit that note the best. When you get your built in shelves, it will be even more so. How is the art framed, or planning to be framed?

• User
    10 years ago

I think a steel gray would be a good neutral for the blues and reds. I can't see the bronze as a backdrop for the art because it doesn't pull any color from the prints and it fights violently with the red of the rug. The bronze looks good as a backdrop for the round endtable though. But--- that is just my opinion and yours is the only one that matters. I think wall color is the most difficult part of design!

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just took pics w iPhone of leather swatches w the paint card. I'm in the cabin of our boat, so just a little more daylight than the room will have.

Kswl, you're not kidding its challenging!
    The pictures we have are framed in mahogany frames, quite wide IIRC, (in storage too, and have a neutral matte. I will have the new o e framed to match.
    The paintings themselves have an aura of golden sun that comes through the sails. They're quite extraordinary.
    If my pics aren't coming off w correct color it may show better on artist website. I will link it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mecray_print

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BusyBee suggested going darker. Annie, I just saw your post suggesting the next lighter, I must have been writing or away when you posted and I didn't see it.

So I've just done some more editing, and have replaced the silver and blond colors above with a darker blue and a lighter blue, Distance and Aleutian.

I'm willing to continue this exercise until both hubby and I are in agreement and like it. So I'm grateful for the continued help.

I've also plugged in a different leather chair. I'm trying not to be married to any choices yet until I get the whole picture together.

Thanks KellieNoelle. I think we're struggling with similar concepts. Especially that thing about being wedding to ideas or choices.

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And kswl I went and pulled a med-dk grey called downing slate from the cool neutrals palette at SW, because I am listening.
    I'm afraid to say that I think it works well, I just don't know if I can live with a room that is deep grey.

• User
    10 years ago

Holy cow, those prints look a lot different on the website, I am glad you linked that site! I have gone back through the whole thread and would like to change my vote to compatible cream--- it is almost exactly one of the shades of the light in the sails, it looks good with all the blues and reds, AND it is going to look darker inthe room than it does on a swatch. I think it is perfect, in fact!

I know what u mean about gray, I think it is a hard color to get right and live with. I could live in a whole house of compatible cream :-)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

As I recall, compatible cream is a light yellow. Sundew chip on the monitor looks more like a beige. I like something more neutral like that.

How about a warm white like the sails? It would highlight the colors of the rug and furnishings. Maybe a slight bit of color on the ceiling instead. That looks best with crown, imo.

Pretty rug!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I have the same issue as kellienoelle, only the opposite. I painted my house in warm colors so you'd think I like the bronze, but I much prefer the blue or sea tones. It's not the chair color, but the rug that is driving my choice. Love the rug and think its a fab inspiration for the room, and those shades tie in so nicely with your art.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

The bow sprit in Flying Home also looks as if it picks up the bronze shade if you feel you need a tie-in with the prints, which are absolutely marvelous.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think you're going in the right direction with the distance, tho it's hard to tell if it's really the best shade with mockups... the lighter blue runs the risk of just looking too pastel for a library, imo. you might want to look at tempe star from your color chart also... or maybe even stillwater???

the bronze is a neutral and works because of that reason... just like wood works as a neutral... as long as it's a brown and has the right tones, which is hard to see from the swatch- you just don't want it to look too orangey or yellow, imo.

the CC is too light and too yellow --- wouldn't be my choice for a library with leather furniture, etc... i think you need a richer color.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I like the Downing Slate. It looks great with all your elements, especially the rug. It also contrasts nicely with your white trim.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like the bronze -- ti would go really well with the art, highlighting the sun coming through the sails. Is there bronze/bronzish in the rug?

• loribee
    10 years ago

Like the blue-gray very much and still love the bronze/deep gold. Is it okay to vote twice??? :)

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A big thank you to everyone who expressed an opinion. It helps, and I got what I needed yesterday. Loribee, I laughed out loud when I read your comment! Yes, it's okay to vote twice.
    It's what I'm going to do. I'm going to buy 2 sample quarts, one of the bronze and one of the slate and paint up the 2x2 sample drywall boards you can get at HD. Then when the room is closed in I can put it them in there and look at it long enough to make an informed decision. And if both are too dark then I'll paint up a Compatible Cream. But really, I'm looking for a deep color.
    I love the blue-greens, and I tried "painting" the room with the Tempe Star and Refuge, but they really don't work with the rug. At All.

To answer another question, yes the rug does have gold flowers in it and bronz-y sections between flowers.

This is what the room looked like yesterday, it's the one in the front corner with 2 windows on front and one down the side.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You remind me of when we were building our home. The plywood had just gone up over the 2x4s and I'm running around taking pictures and measurements so I can buy fabric for window treatments. I usually get my inspiration from the fabrics and go from there, so I needed to buy the fabric first and then pick the paint. It was so weird trying to estimate how much fabric I needed when not only didn't I have any idea of what kind of treatment I wanted, I didn't even have windows yet!

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Annie, then it won't surprise you that I bought a linen toile that will either be WT for the dining room or the bkfast room... 6 months ago!

Library though has to have white plantation shutters as its on front of house.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Mlw, I don't know if you heard my story, but we were in design forever and in build for half forever. When I first met architect, I brought a fabric swatch to him and I said I want my LR to look like this. 7 years later I went back to the store and bought the fabric...and my drapes are in my LR, just as I had imagined. Go figure!