Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Does this look okay?

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

Good Morning all, I have been wanting another coverlet to fold at the end of my bed but I will wait until after Christmas as I have so much Christmas shopping to do.

Yesterday I was straightening my closet and found a Martha Stewert bedspread that I bought that didn't work out. I should have returned it but thought one of my daughters could use it but they both found that it didn't work for them. Since it's ivory I thought it might work for the end of my bed, at least temporarily.

After folding and re folding I found the best look but my gut instinct says it is a tad too long which is why it didn't work as a topper. What do you think? Does it work as a permanent fix or should I keep looking after the holidays?

Comments (19)

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I would reverse the two..cover the bed with the white and fold the print at the end.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think it's great. I also think it's the right length and that it's your quilt that is too short!

Look at how the light dances on your walls from your new overhead light! Pretty cool, HK!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I agree with 1929Spanish. It looks like it would provide better coverage than the print one.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Ooh pretty bed. I think it looks great. I think you can use it either way.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The ivory one is huge. That is why it didn't work for me. The width was a tad longer than I wanted but the length was so long that it would cover most of the legs of the bed. The coverlet is actually the perfect length as it allows the frame of the bed to show. It is actually the bed sheet that is long. I usually have it tucked in better so it doesn't show under the coverlet.

Thanks Tib, I love the swirls that the light reflects. I will post another pic with the linens tucked in. I didn't realize how messy the bed looked!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Holly-May, I like your existing quilt very much, and suspect that the picture doesn't do it justice. But I do think that the other one looks very much out of place in every way.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic with the linens tucked in. I like the coverlet being short enough that some of the frame shows. Maybe that isn't the right look though.

• User
    9 years ago

The size of your blue coverlet is just right, it looks fab! I like the white coverlet at the bottom and don't think it is too long.

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

Ditto KSWL. Lovely! I like the bed frame showing.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Something must be wrong with me. I think it looks too small. I think it's the scalloped edge that's bothering me. Maybe a straight edge or tucked in to give it a more angular, clean look?

Not important at all, though; nitpicking.

Just noticed the lion heads on the feet or the bed. WOW! Where on earth did you get that frame? That is amazing.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

It looks very pretty as it is.

A larger quilt may look too large, but when you are in bed and it is cold, the larger the better. Bed linens are getting so small they don't cover properly anymore.

• User
    9 years ago

I love it too! And I too have a similar bed. Back in the day, it was a whole production to get the split bed skirt to fit it. A few years ago, I nixed the dust ruffle and have a comforter similar in size to what you show--------and to me, I felt like it updated the look immensely.
    Relieved that everyone else thinks it looks good too!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all for the input. I will keep it the way it is for now. At some point I will look for another ivory coverlet so I can switch it up and use them reversed.

Spanish and Oly, I think an ivory coverlet would look wonderful. My original plan was to go ivory. I purchased the folded one and it was just too huge for the bed. It was probably thirty percent larger in length than I needed so I know I would have gotten fed up with it. That's why the ivory one ended up in my closet.

Rhizo, thank you for your input. I love my blue coverlet and I wasn't sure the ivory one worked but will keep it for now.

Mtn, thanks for your input. The blue Madeline quilt is one you reminded me of from Pinecone Hill. Thanks to you it is the one I ended up with.

KSWL and Kimberly, thank you. I do think the length of the blue coverlet works. I like being able to see the frame of the bed. I am thinking the ivory one may just work which is wonderful to use it rather than buying another which I may do at some point.

Hoovb, the blue quilt is plenty big. I sleep like the dead and it stays in place as it is quite heavy. Thankfully my washer and dryer are extra capacity or it wouldn't fit.

Thanks Tib. We purchased the bed at Furnitureland South. It turned out to be quite an ordeal. Month after month came and went and still no bed. It was an English import. The wood is mahogany with a tobacco stain. We were told that the trees were being devoured by a beetle. We waited about sixteen months for it to arrive. Many times I was tempted to cancel the order but I am so glad we waited.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Sheila. I thought the frame was too pretty to hide so I opted for no skirt and a coverlet to show off the frame.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Since the white one is huge and you seem to want it as a decoration, why not have someone reduce the size? They might even figure out a way to use the scalloped edge.

It is too long but if you are okay with it that is all that matters.

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

I think the coverlet looks great and I like being able to see the frame of the bed - it's so unique, why cover it? You could certainly go with a shorter quilt at the end, but I don't think it looks bad as is. It wouldn't bother me.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ellendi, I purchased the ivory one before the blue intending to use it as a coverlet but the width covered my frame and the length was ginormous. In May a dear friend who is also a superb seamstress looked at it for me and said it would be a project that wouldn't yield good results. The center section is diamond quilted and the floral edge is also quilted. I stowed it in my closet and when I came across it thought it would work as an accent at the bottom of the bed so it wasn't a total waste of money. It will work for now but at some point I will replace. Maybe my cleaning lady can use it.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

If you wanted to use the ivory on the bed, have you thought about tucking the edges behind the side rails and the footboard?

• nhb22
    9 years ago

That's what we do...tuck the coverlet under the footboard and fold it up under the pillows.

I also like the bed frame showing.

Have you thought about trying to shrink the coverlet?

Another option, using it folded , is to lengthen the side not visible from the door (although I don't know where your bedroom door is) and have the short end even with your other coverlet.