Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Ethan Allen Renee chairs

Holly- Kay
10 years ago

Finally after ordering these chairs on August 1st they are being delivered. I so hope I like them. I ordered them in French Grey. I am not a grey person at all but this grey just seemed like it would look good with the antique table.

I must say that no matter how much I like them I will NEVER order anything from Ethan Allen again. My Smith Brother's chairs ordered mid September are already delivered and in place and the Hancock Moore recliner that was ordered a few days later is finished and ready to be delivered. My HM sofa was the floor model so that can't be compared but it was delivered the same day we purchased it.

I have had to call, shoot emails and cajole to get any responses from this company. I still have a window treatment for my kitchen that I purchased from them and God only knows when that may be installed. The designer said she sent it back because there was a flaw in it. That may be so but really aggravating to say the least. Ethan Allen is not the store that it used to be that's for sure.

Comments (7)

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

Ethan Allen has always been slow. This is custom order and most custom ordered upholstery takes time. My EA sofa I bought 35 years ago took 5 months, so I don't think things have changed. My daughter's EA sofa she recently purchased took at least 3 months.
    I recently purchased a new cherry wood bedroom set (different manufacturer) and it took 3 months.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input Karen. I know that custom upholstery takes time. However the chairs were not upholstered they are a simple rush bottom seat.

The frustration was not so much the length of time that it took but the frustration of having to coax and cajole to get info from them. I was told at the time of ordering that it would take 6 weeks. The designer actually indicated that it could take less time than six weeks. I waited very patiently but when the six weeks turned to ten weeks I figured I better find out what the issue was. I finally took delivery of them yesterday, one day shy of 14 weeks. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. I just don't appreciate a company not keeping me apprised of the delay and then having to coax a response to my inquiry.

My Smith Brother's furniture was ordered September 13th and was delivered October 30th. My H & M was ordered several weeks later and the chair is ready to be delivered. I am very impressed with the timeliness of both companies. They both put Ethan Allen to shame.

• pagesturned
    10 years ago

I bought a chest from Ethan Allen back in the summer and had it within six weeks. In late August I ordered bedroom furniture, expecting it to take until November to be ready for delivery. I received a phone call a few days after Labor Day informing me that the bed was ready for delivery. Ack! I said. We haven't removed the popcorn from the ceiling, let alone refinished the hardwood floors. No problem, I was told; call them back when we're ready. We had the bed and a rug delivered in late October and we've been very happy with both.

I was notified yesterday that the dresser's ready, and now we're just short the night tables.

I guess we're just not bothered by custom furniture taking awhile to build. My husband once found plans for a Gov. Winthrop secretary in a woodworking book that he really liked and he gave it to a local cabinetmaker who'd never made anything that complex before. He made a secretary or two out of cherry for himself before he felt comfortable making our walnut one. We'd forgotten all about asking him to make it by the time he'd finished it!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I always said, when you order the furniture, they plant the tree...

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really don't mind waiting. If the designer said fourteen weeks, or even if she had said it could take up to fourteen weeks I wouldn't have had a problem. It was the designer saying six weeks and intimating that it could be sooner that was irksome. Also there is no excuse in the world for not keeping a customer apprised of the situation. However it has been a lesson well learned. The solution is not using EA again. That truly saddens me as we bought our DS nursery furniture at EA thirty seven years ago and I have always loved their furniture.

Lol Annie. How true. It amazes me that the hide or hides used for our chair are Italian and I know they don't stock them but order from the supplier of hides when the customer places the order. That chair is still taking half the time that my breakfast chairs took.

All is well though as I never expected all of my furniture to actually be here before Thanksgiving. Now if I could only find rugs for the library and kitchen area.

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

On the new cherry bedroom set (Copeland furniture) that we ordered Aug 1st, the dealer said it would be 7 to 8 weeks. I called after 8 or 9 weeks and they said another 2 weeks. The furniture finally showed up 12 weeks after we ordered. The funny part is that I checked the manufacturers web site and they said delivery would take 16 weeks! More people must buying furniture at this time of the year.

Unfortunately, when they delivered the bed, they had the wrong side rails which should be redelivered in the next week ( I hope). I think they always have some inventory of some wood pieces and the manufactures do runs of certain items at other times depending on what is selling.
    My daughter ordered at the same time and her furniture took 14 weeks for delivery.

I'm probably not upset because the side rails will be here by Thanksgiving. If I hear differently, I will be singing a different tune!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karen, I sure hope that you get the side rails in time for Thanksgiving, especially if you have overnight guests. Good luck and post pics. I LOVE cherry furniture!