Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gilmoregal

What Are Your Favorite Scented Candles?

gilmoregal
16 years ago

We recently had dinner at the home of one of DH's co-workers, and she had the most wonderfully fragrant candles burning in several rooms. They smelled 'expensive' - if that makes any sense :) I don't know the hostess well and wasn't comfortable asking what brand they were, but I thought maybe I'd get some good suggestions on this forum. I have a few candles, but most don't have much fragrance when they burn - just when you smell them 'cold'. Which candles are your favorites?

Comments (96)

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Christy, I want to thank you for your in dept posting (your blog) on effusion lamps. It is all the information I need in one post. I use my oil sparingly but with your recipe and maintenance tips, I can lavish my home in fragrance.

• primgal36
    16 years ago

I sell "Keeper of the Light" candles in my shop. They smell wonderful. Juicy Apple, Cranberry Orange, and Praline Caramel Sticky Buns are some of the best. They're all good.
    I also have 1803 Candles, and they're good too. We have alot of candles. I'm not plugging myself, but you posted the question, so I'm just relaying.
    My favorite scents are, Cranberry Orange, Aunt Kook's Apple Cider, Apple Brown Betty, Praline Caramel Sticky Buns, and Gourmet Sugar Cookie.
    I love a good quality scent, and that's the key!!!

• tre3
    16 years ago

I am fascinated with the idea of an effusion lamp! Can you tell me if they have any rubbing alcohol smell when working? Thanks so much for the information.

• clturner3
    16 years ago

answers: nutsaboutplants-Lampe Berger is a "brand" of effusion lamps and oils. You can use any oil in their lamps, but the company encourages you not to. That's because they want you to buy their oils (that makes sense for the company). I only use Lampe Berger wicks-they are the best.
    tre3-You will not smell alcohol from these lamps only the fragrance or essential oil that you burn. Remember to only use 91% isopropyl alcohol in your mix. You may smell a little alcohol when you pour it into the bottle, but that's it.
    Some folks wanted to know about fragrances: what works,what is too strong, too weak...etc. I'll post some information later on different kinds of scents and what I have used. Check the site below for more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christy's Thrifty Decorating

• gilmoregal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have written down all of your suggestions and checked the websites to find where to buy in my area. I'm heading out this afternoon to do some shopping - can't wait to start "sniffing"! Thanks so much to everyone for sharing their ideas.

• estreya
    16 years ago

Clturner3, your effusion lamp instructions are absolutely inspiring. Thank you SO much for sharing them. I'm going to save my pennies and get a little "kit" for myself to make. I'm not finding any "bargains" as far as the lamps are concerned, but maybe i'll get lucky and find one on sale before the holidays.

Thank you so much!

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Estreya, I was fortunate to get an effusion lamp (to complement the one I got from MonaBlair) on the clearance table at Kirkland's. I think it was $10.

I just returned from Whole Foods where I was checking out the essential oils. I wasn't impressed with their quality or selection. I will order from the website that Christy listed on her Blog. I don't like "food" fragrances, I'm more into florals.

• cearab
    16 years ago

Trapp Candles: orange/vanilla is about the best scent I have ever smelled. Fresh, clean and not perfumey at all. It makes a great gift and everyone I have ever given this candle to has loved it.

• cindyandmocha
    16 years ago

My very favorite are Canyon Candles. My husband and I both smoke and I've NEVER been able to find a candle that voids THAT smell -- until Canyon Candles. They are SUPERB.

My neice was selling them, and I never buy anything a relative sells (avon, mary kay, you get the picture), until these candles. They are awesome.

I have many now. In fact, I have a Rhapsody Music account, and I share it with my neice. She gives me candles, and I let her "hitch" onto my Rhapsody account. Whenever she wants to pay me, I just say "send me a candle". Everyone who enters raves about how great my house smells -- I also have 4 dogs in and out of the house.

With 4 dogs and 2 smokers, if Canyon Candles can make it smell like a baking center, then that's a great candle.

The funniest thing though -- they once sold a candle called "fresh baked bread". I lit it, and when hubby came home (a chef), he said, "who spilled beer???"

LOL, it really did smell just like stale beer, and they've discontinued it. I saved that candle and threaten to lite it whenever he says I can't order another candle.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Yankee Candles make me incredibly sick with headache, queasies and wheezies, I even have to move to the other side of the corridor when I go by the store in the mall since people are always forgetting to shut the door. Same with pretty much all the commercial candles, which is certainly inconvenient. IME it's not whether it's soy or not that kicks up the sensitivities, it's the artificial fragrances. I can only manage candles made with true essential oils. My favorites are Bennington Soy Candles - strong enough to smell wonderful but so much as to knock you on your butt, lovely scents from a very eco-friendly company. "Ambiance" is very Christmasy, a mix of clove and orange; it smells like the pomanders many of us made in school years ago. "Inspire", rosemary and lavender, is one of my favorites, as is "Meditate", lavender and sandalwood. "Wellness" (cedarwood, lavender and sandalwood), is also very nice if I'm in the right mood.

My absolute favorite candles, though, are just plain beeswax - it has a lovely honey aroma, if you haven't numbed your nose with overwhelming artificial scents.

• donnar57
    16 years ago

Like some others here, two of us in our family have problems with certain scented candles giving us asthma type reactions. I've found that liquid potpourri in the kitchen is a lovely alternative.

Favorite scents: Linen Breeze, Apples and Cinnamon, Candy Cane (peppermint). We used to love one called "citrus" - I burned it quite often 2 years ago. Last year DH complained that it gave him a bad memory of something, so I dumped the rest of it. (It's amazing how smells can trigger memories - both good and bad.)

DonnaR/CA

• hosta_house
    16 years ago

Vase Candle Co. - Sugar cookie
    Swan Creek Candle Co. - Gingerbread

• sweets98
    16 years ago

I love candles but won't spend a lot on them. Most of my candles come from Dollar General. They have this line of baked goods candles in Mason jars that I love that smell so yummy! I'm a huge fan of anything vanilla or blueberry but change with the seasons. I also have a few of the candle warmers...no burning that way :)

• freckles-n-frills
    12 years ago

WoodWick fireside scent

• nikkisgirl
    12 years ago

I have recently found the best candles. Actually they are a candle alternative and I am totally addicted! You guys have to check out these products. I am sure you will love them too. They are even cheaper than candles to burn and the scents are amazing. I quit burning candles and only use these products now because they are safe to use too. Have fun shopping, I know I did!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flameless Candles

• Ginahomedeco
    12 years ago

If you're looking for tasteful, fragrant luxury candles, I highly recommend Jennifer's Candles. They are smokeless and very very fragrant. Cheaper than yankee, they look nice, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jennifer's Candles - super scented smokeless candles

• Jackiesmiles33
    12 years ago

Everyday when I walk into my home it smells good, when somebody stops by unexpectedly it smells good, in fact it ALWAYS smells good 24/7 because I use a warmer that uses a low wattage bulb that warms wax releasing the scent. No waiting for wax to melt, No keeping a watchful eyes on candles and NO ugly black jars with black wick floaties in the wax...Just wonderful warm and welcoming scent 24/7.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smiles n Scents

• PinkChickOLaLa
    9 years ago

Hello people,

I love effusion lamps and always got the amazing Lampe Berger fragrances. I live in San Francisco, but Lampe Berger does not ship any more to California. There are some other brands such as La Tee Da, Alexandria's, Sophia's etc., but they seem like cheap imitations and smell weak/bad. Sophia's is the worst of the lot.

I love these lamps and have been using Lampe Berger oils/fragrances and feel lost without them! I have tried some independent ones on Ebay or Etsy but they are kinda hits or misses. Any other fragrance oil brands someone can recommend? Thanks

• artydecor
    9 years ago

I recently discovered Trapp candles. The Orange and Vanilla scent is what heaven must smell like. I absolutely love this candle, and they have other scents that, judging from Amazon reviews, are worth having.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    9 years ago

Trapp candles. Nothing else comes close. I'll never buy a Yankee Candle again.
    For just wax melts (not candles) Scentsy is good too but Trapp candles blow everything else out of the water.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

For me it would be Thymes candles, they're pricey but the aroma's are amazing. I gave many gifts of the Thymes frasier fir and everyone asked where I purchased them. They are international and have a lovely website. They cost more but last longer.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Seda candles--i like the Napoleonic Lemon candle. Someone made me a gift of the Lampe Berger systems, but the flames scared me to death and I never continued using it. Obviously doing something wrong!

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Nest Moroccan Amber - Worth every penny.

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

I'll second the Nest candle fragrances! I also like the Votivo, Archipeligo & Jo Malone. If you like diffusers, the Jo Malone Red Roses diffuser is worth the spendy price tag. Love it even though I typically don't go the floral route.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I like Better Homes Lemongrass Verbena.

• amykatsy
    9 years ago

Kai candles are an exotic expensive scent that smell like a gardenia tree mixed with magnolia, yet not too sweet. They are wonderful.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Funny that Better Homes was mentioned. I bought a Pumpkin Spice candle at Walmart this year for around $5. It's the best smelling Holiday scent and longest lasting (in fragrance and endurance) candle that I have ever had. Quite impressive!

My everyday go to candle for making the house smell inviting is a Red Currant candle, Cost more than $25 each? I may look at Better Homes this spring for the lemon or other fresh scent.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Sorry...double post.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 19:15

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I stopped burning candles years ago. I had to take them outside to put them out unless I wanted the house to smell like smoke. The toxins, and the soot that builds up on the floors (mostly noticeable on carpet) around the baseboard and around the ceiling :( So then I started warming liquid potpourri. That got to be a hassle. Then I used the scented oils from BBW but still had a flame to contend with. About 5 years ago I was introduced to Scentsy and love the decorative warmers thruout my home that melt/warm food grade scented wax with a 15w or 20w bulb. The wax has a low melting point and doesn't get hot enough to harm children or pets. 80+ scents! LOVE it! Each pack has 8 cubes. Each cube (they say) lasts 8-10 hours. Most last at least 24 hours and some two days. I don't leave home without my Scentsy. Leaving for a cruise next month and will pack a plug-in size warmer for the bathroom :) I tried the Walmart scented wax cubes hoping to save some money but it's definitely one of those things "you get what you pay for". They were so strong and nauseating my husband told me to get all of it OUT of the house. He doesn't complain (too much) about the Scentsy...he's a man so he has to complain a little (g) And no, I don't sell it. I SHOULD but I don't.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

monicakm - Have you tried the warmer in a cruiseship bathroom, yet? We are also going on a cruise at the end of next month. I would love to try the warmer, but not sure it would work in the only outlet the bathrooms have - a shaving outlet located up on the mirror.

If they do, please post a link to the warmer that you will use.

I know what you mean about taking the candle outside to blow it out. The Better Home candle does need to be taken outside. It continues to burn forever...it seems like. I'll bet I stood on the screened porch for 4 minutes the other night waiting for the embers to die down and the smoke to stop. Otherwise, we loved the Thanksgiving candle and did not find it to be overpowering. My husband, who also complains about scents, says he liked the smell of our candle. Other scents may be different, but I will be sure to buy the pumpkin scent as soon as they come out next year. I went back to get a second this year and they were sold out.

We were given a very nice Archipelago Christmas candle and it did not put out enough scent. Although, it could have been overcome from the turkey and other yummy cooking food smells in the house.

Have not seen any problem with soot on the ceilings or floors. I always burn our candles in the same spot in our kitchen. However, we were once at a party where a candle was burning on a coffee table near where we were sitting. That evening,we noticed that we all had black soot in our noses. YUCK!

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

eww, soot in your noses! I have never thought about it but of course it stands to reason since it can get in your lungs (and around the house). My husband installs floors. He's pulled up many carpets that have the soot along the edges. Not sure why it seems to settle there more unless it has to do with vacuuming. I've seen homes where it's built up on the ceiling where the ceiling and walls meet.
    Scenty plug in...I don't know if it will work. I didn't know about Scentsy the two other times we cruised. I'll try to find some Google images of bathrooms on the ship we'll be on (Emerald Princess). We're not sailing till Feb 1. I could bring a full size warmer tho.
    I'm sure better quality candles produce less soot and toxins but you still have a burning flame to contend with and I got tired of my husband worrying I was going to burn down the house :o
    Do you have any Scentsy warmers? If so, what's your favorite scent(s)? Don't ask me mine...I have about 38 favorites (g)

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

eww, soot in your noses! I have never thought about it but of course it stands to reason since it can get in your lungs (and around the house). My husband installs floors. He's pulled up many carpets that have the soot along the edges. Not sure why it seems to settle there more unless it has to do with vacuuming. I've seen homes where it's built up on the ceiling where the ceiling and walls meet.
    Scenty plug in...I don't know if it will work. I didn't know about Scentsy the two other times we cruised. I'll try to find some Google images of bathrooms on the ship we'll be on (Emerald Princess). We're not sailing till Feb 1. I could bring a full size warmer tho.
    I'm sure better quality candles produce less soot and toxins but you still have a burning flame to contend with and I got tired of my husband worrying I was going to burn down the house :o
    Do you have any Scentsy warmers? If so, what's your favorite scent(s)? Don't ask me mine...I have about 38 favorites (g)

• nhb22
    9 years ago

No, I do not have any warmers. I looked online, but do not see which type you are referring to for the bathroom.

I did do a search of the Emerald Princess bathrooms and it looks like the ship may have regular outlets. You may want to check with Cruise Critic to make sure that they are not just for shavers. The plugs from the warmer may not fit the outlet.

We will be leaving on February 2nd on the Celebrity Equinox. Looks like we will hit some of the same ports, but not on the same days. Besides the Caribbean, our cruise goes to the Panama Canal and Columbia before heading back and hitting Belize and Cozumel.

• sherryquilts
    9 years ago

I don't burn candles much anymore - although I did in the fall when Bath & BodyWorks had such a great sale on candles. I usually use wax melts. My favorite company is Tyler Candle - favorite scent:
    Hippie Chick! Very much like the incense burnt back in the 70s. But all of their scents are wonderful!

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

sherryquilts: Tyler Candle? As in Tyler, Tx? If so, small world :) I'm in Grand Saline. 45 miles NNW of Tyler. DH works out of Tyler and it's where I shop and we go for entertainment. In fact I was "going to the city" tomorrow for some cruisewear shopping but my grandson is here for 3 days and wasn't too keen on the idea of watching Grammuffy try on clothes (g)

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Is anyone else having trouble with this site saying your message has been rejected or double (or tripling) your posts?

This post was edited by monicakm on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 23:03

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

removed (double post).

This post was edited by monicakm on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 22:58

• Fluffeebiskits1
    9 years ago

Circle E Silver Bells is a must during the holidays. Smells like cranberries and orange. Birds of Paradise is my other favorite. These candles have a womderful scent and can frangrance large areas. Tried Yankee and Tyler and those are okay, but there is truly nothing like a Circle E!

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

newhomebuilder, "plugins plug in directly to the wall. The part that houses the plug rotates to fit any plug orientation. Thanks for looking for pictures of the bathrooms. I haven't had time yet. Here is a picture of the plugin currently in DH's bathroom. And the full size is in my bathroom. But I'll take the Leopard plugin on the ship :) These are the only two plugins I have. They're for small bathrooms. My other 15 or so warmers are full size.

Small world (again!). I think I remember that you also live in Texas. Are you leaving out of Houston/Galveston. Do you have any excursions planned for Belize and Cozumel? I found a couple I want to do in Roatan but nothing really caught my eye for the other two ports. I'm restricted to what I can physically do with MS and bad lower back. The heat hits my MS hard and the walking does a number on my back. I'd be happy to never leave the ship :)

{{gwi:2140222}}

{{gwi:2140223}}

{{gwi:2140224}}

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

My daughter loves Birds of Paradise. Scentsy has a wax called Silver Bells but not with that description. It's one of my favorite's. I bet that cranberry and orange is awesome :)

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

My daughter loves Birds of Paradise. Scentsy has a wax called Silver Bells but not with that description. It's one of my favorite's. I bet that cranberry and orange is awesome :)

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I used to buy Carolina Candles in a Sandalwood fragrance, but haven't been able to find them in any store for the last several years. I have found something similar at Pier 1, though can't recall the name of the fragrance. Hobby Lobby also has an Amber fragrance which I like and seems to keep the fragrance while burning. If you're familiar with The Tymes Collection, the Eucalyptus or Lavender scents are great, but the company is very fussy as to the store carrying their line, but they do have a website. Manuel Canova's is also a high end candle, but very long lasting. I burn candles almost every night during the winter months.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

almond and vanilla are my 2 favs

I don't use real candles anymore. I'm too dangerous... I have a number of battery operated w/timers tho.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

monicakm - I love the leopard plug-in!

We live in TN, not Texas. The ship leaves out of FLL. We will probably stay on the ship since we have been in those two ports many times, but may decided to go snorkeling in Belize with Eco Tours to Goff Caye. When we went to Roatan, we took a self excursion to Anthony's Key which is near the docking pier. I am not sure they are still offering a day pass, though.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    9 years ago

Circle E Silver Bells is a must during the holidays. Smells like cranberries and orange. Birds of Paradise is my other favorite. These candles have a womderful scent and can frangrance large areas. Tried Yankee and Tyler and those are okay, but there is truly nothing like a Circle E!

• nhb22
    9 years ago

monicakm - Check out this new beach club in Cozumel. Look at reviews on TripAdvisor and CruiseCritic. Very favorable! DH and I are going to book the All Inclusive. http://papitosbeachcozumel.com/

I have been looking at the Scentsy's website. I cannot decide on a scent for the cruise. I would love to have a Peach scent, but they seem to have discontinued the block cubes for the warmers. I have, however, found them on Ebay.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

newhomebuilder, I'm taking a look at the new beach club but felt the need to caution you first about buying Scentsy wax on ebay. You have no idea how old it is and unless it's kept in the freezer, it's "intended" use can be as short as 4-5 months depending on how it was stored. It will still have fragrance but be weaker. Which peach scent have you found and I'll try to figure out when was the last time it was offered (but it could be older than that). It might be something that hasn't been for sale for a year or longer! I'd hate for you to be disappointed with your first Scentsy experience. Tell me what you like and I'll try to make some suggestions...of course everyone's nose is different! The last peach fragrance I remember is Posey Peach

• PinkChickOLaLa
    9 years ago

I am not sure why people here are raving about Scentsy? I tried like eight different scensy scents and throw as very very disappointing to say the least!

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

newhomebuilder, I'm trying to send you a private message via your page but it's not working. Mine should work if you'd like to contact me personally concerning our upcoming cruises and Papito's Beach.
    Thanks!

PinkChickOLaLa, so sorry you didn't care for the Scentsy scents you tried. Don't hear of many that don't like it. I was given a Better Homes and Garden wax pack for Christmas. I knew they were sickingly strong so I cut it in half. Still had the unmistakenly chemical smell and gave me a headache. The rest of it went in the trash :(

• nhb22
    9 years ago

It was the Posey Peach. Thanks for the tip about old scents.

My parents had a Peach Potpourri basket in their beach house. I loved walking in the door and smelling that fragrance. When I saw that Scentsy offered a peach line, that appealed to me. Didn't want anything perfumy, masculine or holiday smelling. Just something lite and airy.