Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cand1781_gw

Please advise....to wainscot or not?

cand1781
9 years ago

We've been in our home 6 months now and I cannot stand looking at the white walls in my daughters room. We picked the paint color (BM Marshmallow Bunny) , however now, I need to decide if I want to put up beadboard, as I originally intended. I am having second thoughts ...

1. It will look beautiful, i know, however once it's up, it definitely will not ever come down, a commitment for sure.

2. Initially i thought it would be nice to help break up the pink, but it's not a very big room so once we transition to "big girl " furniture, that and the bedding will break up the pink.

and 3) As you can see in the pictures, her dresser and bed, (when we finally get the big girl bed), are a cream color. Will the furniture get lost in the room against a similar color trim? Will it be too much?

Then I was thinking, why not do full wall paneling on the wall where the bed will be, add another dimension to the room without the commitment of the whole room beadboard. Paint it pink like the rest of the room, but add crown moulding instead.

So I ask you this, beadboard all around? full paneling on the one wall or something of the like? or just paint the room and be done with it? Thanks in advance.

Comments (30)

• cand1781
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dresser

• cand1781
    Original Author
    9 years ago

window

• amykath
    9 years ago

I would leave it as it is. Do not make such a decision now. Who knows what you or what she will want down the line. Like you said, its a commitment. Unless you just really love wainscotting, I would not do it (now anyway).

Lovely room!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Just paint and be done with it! We did versions of pink as my daughters were growing up. My favorite was pink and green.
    When your daughter goes into a bed, the bedding and window treatments will help define the room.
    Beadboard, while a nice look, really isn't necessary in this room, IMHO.

• User
    9 years ago

RAther than beadboard, why not just put up a chair rail of some kind ,and then on the bottom of the wall, put paintable wallpaper on, and paint that white (or whatever). That is removable, or repaintable, in the future. You can even get paintable wallpaper in beadboard pattern.

They come in different patterns, but also in textures, so you can choose.

How cute is this for a little girl's room?

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

I would add wainscot for visual interest and to lighten it up.

We did this in my daughter's bedroom in our last house and it added visual interest to an otherwise boxy, boring room that didn't get a lot of light:

Or you could do board and batten which is an easier project -- and also good for a child's room because you can put books or other items on the ledge:

• blfenton
    9 years ago

What about just painting an accent wall for now (I know they're not trendy right now but....) with some inexpensive art work on it.

• cand1781
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Her room gets a lot of light, and since it's not a huge room, I am definitely straying from the idea of beadboard all around the room. I really think the furniture will break it up AND I think it actually might look too busy if we did do it.

I do however, still like the idea of the 4 inch wide beadboard full wall length on just that one wall. I would paint it the same color pink, but I think it might make the wall a bit more interesting. The paintable wall paper is a nice idea too....Ive never explored that avenue.

Does anyone have a room with one wall full length beadboard? Again, I would definitely paint it pink,...still looking for images like this. I guess my reluctance is..what if it doesn't look good/what if it just makes the wall look weird

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Throwing out another idea - what about making the beadboard look like a picket fence. Don't even know if that can be done or not and then create a garden wall.

The jumping off point for that idea was the giant flower in the corner of the room by the window.

• cand1781
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funny you caught that. I actually didnt' have a theme for the room until I bought that bookshelf. Everything fell into place after that with Pottery barn kids daisy quilt bedding. So yes, it will be a garden theme. That is a really cute idea. I guess i'd have to work on logistics of that one :)

• cand1781
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bookshelf

Here is a link that might be useful: bedding

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

I did one wall of shiplap (not beadboard) in my old family room. It was a large wall though.

Cape27 posted a photo of a gorgeous boy's nursery with shiplap walls - link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shiplap nursery

• cand1781
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the shiplap as well.

I guess at this point what I am really wondering... If i were to do full wall beadboard (4" x 8') , on just that one wall, painted pink like the rest of the room, will the wall stand out in a weird way or in a pretty way? will it add a nice dimension to the room or will it just look isolated?

P.s. my walls are textured

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You don't have to do full wainscoting, but at least a high chair rail to cut the bright color of the room could help.

• User
    9 years ago

Well heck, if the theme is "Garden", then the "Blossom Toss" paintable wallpaper is perfect! You could even paint the individual flowers different colors, if you were so moved.

That bookshelf is adorable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom Toss Paintable Wallpaper

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I think I would at most put in a chair rail and then paint the top and bottom halves different colors. No need to go full out with wainscoting. Or even easier, put up a coordinating wallpaper border to break the 2 paint colors.

• cand1781
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The only thing with the chair rail is that we did that with my son's room, so I was trying to do something different.

• User
    9 years ago

The chair rail is only to separate the two designs on the wall. I'd put the rail lower on your daughter's wall, and maybe paint it a very deep pink.

• User
    9 years ago

Annie's wallpaper strip is a really good idea.

• cand1781
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i like the idea of the board and batten as well. But again, throughout the whole room or just the one wall? I really wanted to get this room done this weekend...or at least started. I have 2 days to decide!

• nini804
    9 years ago

I like the board and batten, and I like it on the whole room. It adds a wonderful, high end architectural element. Actually, my favorite was the second blue nursery Beverly posted...I think that is judges paneling, not board and batten, and it is to die for! I can't imagine you would ever tire of that. And I would paint it white to break up the pink.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

I say don't do just one wall. As you said, it's a commitment. Down the road you or your daughter may want to rearrange the room and having one wall different than the others will affect what you think possible. I can see posts years from now asking if *this* will look weird (because of the wall) as you grow frustrated trying different room arrangements.

Do wainscot or chair rail or keep it all as is. MHO

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Marshmallow bunny is really pink and a little will go a long way. So either do the chair rail with it breaking the color, or skip it all together and just paint an accent wall the pink and keep the rest neutral.

Or do something fun like masking off squares or diamonds randomly along the wall and paint them the pink. Or get a compressed sponge and cut it in the shape of a flower and use it as a stamp to make random pink flowers on the wall. It's a nursery, so you can as much fun in there as you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry blossom tree

• User
    9 years ago

Marshmallow Bunny is a pretty heavy pink. How about Marshmallow Bunny on the lower 1/3, chair rail in BM Butter, upper 2/3 in a softer pink such as BM Frosted Petal?

Or, with the Blossom Toss paintable paper on the bottom, paint the background in the Marshmallow Bunny, and the flowers in greens and yellows and pinks?

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do one wall only... and I don't think I would do any wainscoting in a bedroom... as your child gets older, she might have her own creative ideas as to how she wants to do her bedroom... and there is plenty of furniture, etc in a bedroom to break up the paint. I would focus on the window treatments, rug etc for décor. if you want two or three separate colors on the walls, you can easily do that with painters tape--- don't need a chairrail...

• cand1781
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So here are my thoughts now that I've slept on it.

1.) this is for my daughter as a big girl room, not a nursery. Sorry if that was misleading because of the crib. I am planning ahead..I have the bedding, she's just not quite ready yet (nor am I), I just HATE the white walls and I'm ready for new carpet!.

2.) I think I may just paint the whole room the one color, although I like the idea of the 2 pinks broken by chair rail. While yes it will be a lot of pink, I do think it will be pretty. Online marshmallow bunny looks intense, it is actually pretty light. I was initially going to go with BM elephant pink, but it has just a slight gray undertone, given the name, and MB is just the right amount of pink.

3. I did see this great blog post about using the patterned/colored duct tape to create patterns, so that has potential in the future as well.

The most pink will really be on the wall with the bed and the wall to the left with the dresser. The other walls are small, one with the window and the other with the closet and door..not much pink on those walls.

someone on houzz suggested building a window seat with storage...how cute would that be! :)

decisions, decisions.

• zipdee1
    9 years ago

Ok, while I love board and batten and bead board, I have both in my house. I would paint your child's room pink and not worry about the color. When I first did the girls room upstairs, it glowed and I do mean glowed a very bright aqua! Once all of the furniture, bedding, window treatments and everything they owned went in, it was perfect. Really in a way, I don't think you can go too over the top in a kids room. ;)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

What floor is her bedroom on? I was thinking of a window seat BUT if her bedroom is on the second make sure you have secure screens on the windows. I'm sure you would but just too many stories of young kids climbing up on things and taking tumbles out of open windows.

• atmoscat
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, since my daughter's room is also a work in progress. But, I thought I'd post since there is a wall with 4" beadboard in her room, floor to ceiling, and I'm thinking of a similar color scheme to yours. Some pics are below. Previous owners used it as their baby boy's room. It looks like there's a corner because I pasted two pictures together, but the beadboard is one flat wall. Right now the beadboard is painted white and the rest of the room has a chair rail with wallpaper below and paint above. That's more than what you are considering, but I will say that when I paint I will probably paint the beadboard pink (same as top of chair rail) and do wallpaper below on the other 3 walls, or just do all one color. As it is, there's way too much going on!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

You might just try painting it first, that might be all you're looking for. And you can always install beadboard over the paited wall.

If you don't glue the beadboard, it could easily come down, not really a commitment.

I think that beadboard is charming in a child's or spare bedroom and adds value to a room. It also takes a beating better than a wall. But, do the entire room, or nothing at all. Because beadboard is a horizontal, it can tie a (messy) room together and make it look larger.