Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Using antique tile on fpl surround?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I found a wonderful antique tile I want to use around the fpl, to lighten it up a bit. They are 5" square.

Here's the problem ... the brick fpl surround is 9" high at the top and 7" wide on the sides. How can that work with 5" wide tiles? There's not really enough room for a field tile or even part of one. And what about the extra room at the top?

Ideas?

Here is a rough to scale layout
{{!gwi}}

Here is a photo of the fpl
{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• christine40
    10 years ago

what does it look like to trim the tile to get 2? too weird maybe?? or cut the wood surround to get in 2 full tiles across the top--that's an option. Or--in the current space try centering a full tile, then could you border it with something smaller?? even cut slivers of the same tile??

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are pictoral and can't really be cut. They do have white filed tiles I could use, but 2"??? Doesn't it kind of have to be a border? Wont that look odd only on the top? I mean visually, if you have a border in only one place, you usually put the weight on the bottom...

These aren't the exact tiles, but very similar

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

I think the white would be hard to match. What about a blue 2" border? Put it between the firebox opening and the decorative tile. To take up the 4" at the top, either add an extra row to the border at the top of the firebox or put a row just below the mantel. I hope that makes sense!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well all of these antique tiles have variation, but I can get antique delft white field tiles from the same source that will "match" as much as any of it does. (thats ok, part of the charm)

But, on either side, I cant really use cut tile to make up the difference between the 5" tile and 7" width, can I? ANd then how will it look to have a 4" white strip ABOVE the top row?

Odd, yes?

• jmc01
    10 years ago

yes, odd.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, JMC, thanks for being honest!

I was just fiddling with this, which I think looks better:
    {{!gwi}}

The tides on the side are 1" in from L to R, and have 1.5" between them vertically. The row across the top is in 1", but is set in the middle vertically, so that there are 2" above and 2" below. I think it works, but I still don't know what goes in the 1" and 2" spaces ....

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Another thought ~add moulding .

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

While I was searching I found my new fireplace.........

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another route, use only a string of the blue patterned ones, all else antique white

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

forboys, but their molding is symmetrical. I can't find images where the molding is topheavy, which is what i need?

LOL

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

I think using a white border would diminish the impact of the decorative tile -- one reason for my suggestion of blue instead.

Okay, here's another suggestion:

Choose a 1" molded border tile of whichever color. Run two courses up the sides between decorative tile and mantel. At the top of the decs, split the two courses so one runs across the decs, another continues up to just under the mantel, then turns and runs across the top. This will give you a 2" gap between the two courses at the top, where you could use the 2" field tile that matches the decs,

You could also run a short course of the border across the bottom of the decs, at the hearth, where it looks like you have a 1" gap.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The only thing is, the white tile is also handmade antique Delft white... aged, chipped here and there, etc. So its interesting in and of itself.

I am afraid getting new tile will not work, that I need to use some combo of all the antiques.

Im going in person to look right now. Thanks for your suggestion, I will mock it up too.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Having user operator difficulties.....

This post was edited by forboystoo on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 12:44

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Hang on I lost a photo...

This post was edited by forboystoo on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 12:39

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I suppose you could do one border on the insides and add an additional row of border along the top.

You could also talk to a carpenter and see about adding molding to alter the wood surround to fit the tile rather than the tile fit the opening.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

The top is already heavier on your fireplace you would only have to bring it down 3" or so : :{{!gwi}}
    :

I also like the look of the tiles w/out the large space between (I think it's more w/keeping to the original installation).Notice the small boarder around the fire box to give you an extra inch

This post was edited by forboystoo on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 12:48

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For boys, the use of marble on the one is brilliant! Thank you! Between that idea and wood trim, I'm sure it can be done. I can do a marble hearth too.. And much cheaper then these tiles!

Thank you all!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Some examples of antique tiles from Europe:

Leave some of the brick:

Narrow border tile

with cast iron insert

Wood

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Check the code on how close to the firebox you can bring the wood trim, if you decide on it. There usually has to be a certain amount of clearance for safety issues.

This post was edited by Chibimimi on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 19:12