Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohgoodness

Small Console Table - Good Quality

ohgoodness
9 years ago

Hello! I'm looking for a small console table preferably with drawers, maybe demilune for my front hall. The space is 54"x15", but I think I want to go at least a little smaller, maybe 48"x15" and the demilune would help with the scale. I'm to the point where I'm done buying throw away furniture. I want this to be a nice piece. Budget maybe up to $2k, but ideally around $1200. I'm finding lots of cheaper made options in the $300 range but not much luck with nicer brands. I've looked at Ethan Allen, Thomasville, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Mitchell Gold, Safavieh, Horchow, Wisteria, Lillian August, Ballard. What other brands or stores should I look at? What about Theodore Alexander? I did find a few of that brand that I liked, but uncertain of quality. It seems everything I like is too big for the space. Here's a picture. The console will go where the bench is.

Comments (31)

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of my adjoining living room. I want it to coordinate with this.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Here's a fun one. Drawer is lined with leather. Made from hardwood. There are three: this one is aqua/ivory, which I thought would look great in your hallway. The others are gold/olive and gray/bronze, which is also nice.

Notive the knobs.

I LOVE your LR furniture!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand-painted demi-lune console table

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 9:54

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

This Chaleston Forge one does not have drawers; however, the price and size are right, and it's made in the US.

Your style looks to be clean, and I think this fits.

I checked Lexington furniture, which is my go-to, but the minimum length was 60. I think you will run into that problem with many manufacturers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Table

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Wow your home is beautiful kew2006!

I'd look around and have one made custom myself, either local, or there are all kinds of small American companies on the internet now crafting handmade furniture in solid American-sourced wood for the same price you would pay for veneers on particle board from China.

• suero
    9 years ago

Here's one from Hardwood Artisans. They will customize. I had them make some furniture 27 years ago that still is as good as the day it was delivered. A joy to look at and use.

Here is a link that might be useful: details, including customization options

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I agree, lovely home! I would look at local auction places too. I see interesting things at the ones around here sometimes.

• amykath
    9 years ago

This one is lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Table link

• voila
    9 years ago

Beautiful home, kew. I would look at Maitland Smith. Providing a link to their console table pages. You can get an idea of prices on eBay. Stenella also carries them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maitland Smith

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

For a high quality small, traditional style piece, you should not need to buy new. I would look in antique stores.

You may also want to try Stenella, depending on where you live. Also note the brands they carry; those are the ones you want to be looking for..

Pretty room!

Here is a link that might be useful: good source for used high quality pieces

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and kind words. Lots of good ideas. I just started searching eBay for Maitland Smith and I'm finding some nice options. I think this will keep me busy for a while! I know you're right mtn about buying used. My couch is a Baker I bought for $600 and reupholstered, my dining table, chairs, and hutch are Hickory White I picked up from craigslist. I found my coffee table from a friend who was in the business of helping people with estate sales. I'm not sure why I didn't think to put more effort into finding a used console before. I'm going to spend some time looking. Thx!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I'd look for something light with curved legs that tucked in, so it was different than the living room, but perhaps in a dark wood like the LR.

Since it's the first thing you see when you come in, it would be nice if it had a sculptural impact from the side. Any frontal impact will be lost, pretty much, because you won't be able to stand back from the front to admire it. See link to Regency or Federal inspired table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Regency or Federal inspired table

This post was edited by Lilylore on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 3:52

• party_music50
    9 years ago

kew, beautiful house / LR.

Perhaps something from Harden Furniture? They are a local (long-time) family business that specializes in quality furniture -- primarily cherry. I have one of their prototype consoles... a one-of-a-kind piece... and everyone comments on how beautiful it is. Here's a link to their website with selection of consoles.

My niece now works for them as a designer! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Harden consoles

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lilylore, I really like that console. It has an edginess to it that I like. RH no longer sells it, but this definitely helps guide me. I have a hard time deciding on styles because I like so many different kinds.

Partymusic, the man who upholstered my sofa is a Harden dealer. I had not heard of the brand before working with him. I believe he said he uses Harden frames to build custom upholstery pieces. They have some nice things too!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I just happened to stumble on this when poking around on Bassett's site. Kind of interesting?

Here is a link that might be useful: demi console

• amykath
    9 years ago

That is perfect Sue. Guess it is just missing drawers :(

Would go nicely to complement the coffee table!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Saw this on ebay. Beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay Table

• party_music50
    9 years ago

Nice to hear good things about a local company. :)

FWIW, kew, I think that Lilylore's console choice would be perfect with your decor!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Atk, I think the eBay one is going to be too deep.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I happen to be looking for a console in that price range these days, too, and spend half of my life on 1stDibs. Lots of very nice things. Try there.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

This one's 54" x 16" (so it may be a little deep) but it's very light-looking and leggy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knox Console

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

And this one by Kindel is 15.5" but 38" wide. The stretchers are really nice, I think.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

And this one from Century is very simple, shallow and comes in a Ton of finishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Century

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Really like Pal's Kindel.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Love the sexy stretchers and the rosette bling, Pal.

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, pal. I like all of those. I do think the first is too big because it pushes both dimensions. The Kindel is beautiful and I think the size would work. Traditional, classic. But, holy cow, the legs on that Century. I'm thinking the TriBeCa finish? Hmm, I just noticed the front view of the Century really highlights those legs. Wonder if the side view would be as appealing. Maybe the Kindel would present better from the side? I'm going to check both of those options.

eBay has some really nice pieces too. Funny, I noticed most of what catches my eye is Stenella. Usually the deminsions don't quite work though. All of this is a little dangerous.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Pal, those are gorgeous!!! Really LOVE the Kindel!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I like the Louix XVI/19th-century Italian Knox Console. The legs are not 'frontal' so they show the same details on the sides as on the front. And from the side there is the pretty detail of the gray painted surface and the gold molding above the legs.

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wanted to update this with my find. After a lot of pondering and looking around at consignment shops and online, I finally pulled the trigger on a console table. I found it on Ebay. It's a Johnson Handley Johnson which I read online was a good brand. I liked the barley twist legs and the pulls. Now, I need to finish the rest of the entry. I'll post a separate post about that with all of the questions and decisions I have to make.

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, forgot the pic.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Ooh that looks perfect for your entry!

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!