Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenangelcat_gw

Blue Velvet Sofa Part 2

jenangelcat
11 years ago

Just got the rug. Here it is. It looks too small in some of the photos but it looks fine in the room.

I can't be bothered to fight with photobucket today so here's one photo and the rest are on my blog.

Also note that the chair on the left is not the white that it appears. It's much darker and more silver and grey.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Room Photos

Comments (18)

• User
    11 years ago

I like it!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

I bet you love those lamps with the red shades, I do too. But for some reason I see one of those tall chrome floor lamps with arches, with globes or with chrome shades in that right hand corner. And it's funny because at first glance I think the table lamps are too tall, yet a very tall arch of chrome seems as thought it's needed in that corner.

Love the colors you've assembled.

• geokid
    11 years ago

Love it! Now if I can only convince my husband that sofas can come in colors other than shades of brown or grey. :-)

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I moved the furniture off the rug and it looks even better.

Schoolhouse-I do love the lamps. The kids knocked one over the other day and I almost had a heart attack. The only thing that broke was the bulb. I was thinking of a long lamp like that when I had the couch in the corner. As it is now, I'd rather not add any morel lighting (2 lamps and a chandelier). I'm thinking some storage pieces and art in those corners. The walls seems so bare now.

Geokid-They do indeed! The original sofa I saw was a gorgeous teal in crushed velvet. It was so beautiful.

Around the 20th I'll be heading out for more furniture (coffee table, tv stand etc). I don't think glass or lucite is going to be practical with the kids. So dark wood? Black lacquer? What does everyone think?

• geokid
    11 years ago

Why do you think a lucite table would be impractical with kids? I think something like this would be great in your space.

And I've always loved this table.

And this.

• loribee
    11 years ago

Really like it and like the arrangement, too!

• roarah
    11 years ago

It looks lovely! Can not wait to see more!

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Geokid-I googled about lucite and read that it scratches easily. But I love the one in your photo!

Loribee and Roarah-Thanks! I have never been this excited about decorating before. Every addition that I put in makes me love the room even more.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

It looks very, very sleek and yet still feminine.

But I have to ask ... Where is your "stuff"? I don't mean the layered look, but the small collection of reading material, coasters, notebook, iPad, etc that is scattered across a space?

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

EngineerChic-The books are on the opposite wall. I don't have stuff scattered around because I have three young children who are a tad bit destructive. Also, clutter stresses me out so everything gets put away. The computers are in the next room over along with all the toys. I've never owned coasters although I might reconsider that now with those end tables!

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Ahh, that makes sense. Now that I see the bookshelves I can relax :)

I admit, I was looking at the (very attractive) furniture and thinking, "What is there to DO? Twiddle my thumbs?" I know, some people like to sit and talk ... I have to have something to work on or read or ... Something.

But now that I see the wall of stuff, I see the room as a great place to chill out and unwind :). I like it even more!

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol. The baskets are full of board games. There's an entire shelf of video games and dvds. It's a room we actively use, you just don't necessarily see it.

• crl_
    11 years ago

I have nothing constructive to say, but I can't resist telling you that I love that blue velvet sofa!

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Crl-Thanks. It is very pretty and the kids haven't wrecked it yet!

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

I love it too.yummy.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

it looks great ; how about a glass top coffee table, with a thin frame.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would love a glass top table but my kids would have it smashed within 24 hours. I'd have to ban them from the living room which isn't really possible unless I put a force field up.

• jenangelcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've been looking at art on Etsy and everything I like seems like it would be really out of place in this room.

I posted a bunch of pics on my blog. Too many to post them all here.

Does one hang art in a room that it doesn't go with?

Here is a link that might be useful: My taste in art.