Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

What attracts you in decor photos?

violetwest
9 years ago

I'm sure most of us look at a lot of home interior photos. What catches your eye and makes you go, "ooooh, I like that!?"

Some of mine are:

--cool colors. Anything with blue, purple & green

--either of two palettes -- either all neutral with white, black and wood tones; or very colorful

--plants! soooo many times I see photographs that I like, and then realized they were staged with greenery. Take away the plants and the room is just blah.

Comments (40)

• bpath
    9 years ago

Pink draws me in, though I don't really decorate with it.

Clean, uncluttered interiors, but with nicely curated objets, though my own interior has a bit of clutter.

Anything vintage that looks familiar, that makes me say "we had that growing up" or "grandma had that, I think it's in dad's basement now, maybe I could haul it out and..."

Frenchy stuff!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Reclaimed wood.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

perfectly staged interiors and original art , a bit of bling.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Violet.West, I am the same about plants! To me, having plants give the appearance of someone is actually living in the house (watering the plants) -- it can make rooms seem less static and museum-like. Not infrequently I will be drawn to a photo initially only to realize on second glance that I am responding to the greenery or branches... even if it is just a huge picture window with nature beyond.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I guess it must be things I love and wish I had some of, or more of--huge windows, high ceilings. I like architectural detail--mill work, arches, etc.

Have you ever noticed that catalogs always have their stuff displayed in these rooms with stunning architectural detail so it makes the furniture look better?

If it is well done I can appreciate and enjoy it, even if I wouldn't want to live in it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Something I have never seen before.

Something that looks one of a kind, handmade, antique, imported.

A little bit offbeat, quirky.

A detail. A twist.

A view.

A room that would be gorgeous empty always gets me.

A little bit of history; a little bit of wear.

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

A certain shade of 1930s/40s green.

A distinct personality.

Imperfection - I like to see a bit of wear and tear in a room.

Controlled layers.

A vintage cottage vibe.

Handmade items.

Pets. :-)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

The color purple always makes me give a photo/room a second look.

Anything in the Arts and Crafts style, also uncluttered spaces. Clutter, lots of stuff, makes me turn away.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Windows
    Beautiful millwork
    Beautiful patterns
    Fabric
    Antiques

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Uncluttered
    Artwork
    Plants too - speaks that someone actually lives here and cares for them
    Unfinished wood - especially in accessory pieces, mantles, frames, etc
    Handmade items but not overdone with it - Arts and Crafts influence
    Something(s) unexpected

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I like monochromatic rooms, or rooms with low contrast.

Plants

Minimalist/modern-transitional

Amazing storage solutions

Window seats

Solutions to problem-areas

Casual

Vintage items

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so many different things - how fun!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Architectural wood trim around interior and exterior windows and doors, crown mouldingâ¦

anything that ties a home to nature.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Color, composition, rhythm. I'm a fan of texture and graceful lines in furniture. I love Sheraton furniture. It's modern yet classic and is just the perfect old and new all at once.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Color, but not particular colors -- just interesting use of colors.

Like mtn said, something offbeat or quirky -- a repurposed item, something with a sense of humor, or an item used in an unusual way.

Warmth and a lived-in look.

Use of both contemporary and vintage elements.

Anything I happen to be looking for at the time. So if I am looking for a chair, my eye will go to the chairs in the photo.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

What a great question!

Lots of windows bringing in natural light

Interesting but useful vignettes in front entrances

Monochromatic rooms with some sort of investment in colour - sounds like an oxymoron I know. I don't mean disposable colour brought in through flowers or pillows. I mean a real commitment to colour through paint or a rug or a couch or a piece of artwork. It's hard to explain.

Pictures where I can learn and/or incorporate something from them into my own decorating.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Specific pieces of furniture. Usually of a few particular periods or by certain makers.

Architectural details. Practically any period of architecture where the details are done right.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I am always attracted to art and antiques and artistic pieces of furniture. I like unusual homes that are filled with personality and life. Lived in rooms. So, I hate the fake and faded glory like Donna Decorates Dallas (rusty burgundy cut velvet, ochre and beige stripes, painted verdigris) I'm more charmed and drawn in to I see threadbare spots in the carpet, and then satisfied by the owner remarks that the carpet was inherited and the threadbare section is from grandma's rocking chair. That is a room with real life and a history that is layered and can never be purchased. Even the most humble flat can have more personality, history and creativity than the majority of Texas-style McMansions you see in blogs and magazines.

But I do like painted wood and antiquing when it's done well and that always makes me pause, too -because there's an art to that.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I look at architectural details, too. Always disappointing to realize that's what I really like in a photo, because it means there's no possible translation to my architecturally-devoid-of-details little house!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

1. Cozy rooms decorated well, and without clutter
    2. Brilliantly decorated rooms, regardless of style.
    3. Beautiful views
    4. Anything Cottage-y

Lynn

• nini804
    9 years ago

Architectural details, especially millwork. Symmetry. Fine fabrics.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Interesting architecture, fine finishes, beautiful fabrics, period style furnishings, tartan, any room decorated for Christmas.

• jshore
    9 years ago

Architectural details, windows, oriental rugs, lamplight, and warm colors, though I do like cool colors sometimes too.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Color and texture: White, blue, old wood, natural materials but no wild granites.
    Relatively streamlined and uncluttered
    Comfortable and casual
    LIGHT!!! Lots of light!
    Books
    Plants

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Wallpaper, because I love it and it seems to be taboo.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

First and foremost, architectural details. Windows and doors make a hugh impact on me. Flooring also is very important, as well as ceilings. As far as decorating goes, balance is most important.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Black window frames, with some black in the room (picture frames, coffee table stand, or metal banister). Not too much black, or wide bands generally. Although this photo isn't an ideal example because the black is lopsided towards one end of the room, it shows the general idea. I still lament not being able to convince my hubby to go with black for our window interiors.

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Good light.

Not too cluttered.

Something I didn't "think" I would like, utilized in a way that makes me love it.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

I want to see homes that real people live in. I don't have much of an interest in designer show houses. I like color and traditional, French Country or English Country style. I like to look at the art work and where it is hung. I regret not buying real art over the years. And I like to really look at all of the accessories.

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

I feel like a bit of an odd duck here, but I love:

Ultraclean lines and forward-looking architecture. I'm interested in design that looks to the future instead of holding onto the past. At the very least from the past century -- Bauhaus, MCM, modern, brutalist, minimalist, deconstructivist -- or forward please!

Aspirational homes. I want to see places that look like they require discipline to live in and inspire me to rid my life of unnecessary excess. I don't like "realistic" and "comfortable" homes with clutter, collections and overstuffed sofas. I often find them uncomfortable in real life.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love black window frames too -- probably as a result of my time living in Mexico where black iron frames are common.

I like unusual furniture, too -- particularly upholstered furniture that's very plush, or imaginative.

photos showing your preferred style of house (Spanish, Federal, Craftsman, etc.)I think is a given.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

. . . and the art! I love art. Art history. Collecting it. Just enjoying it for a few moments, whether it's in a gallery, my own home, or displayed in photos of rooms done well.
    Who was it here that has that huge Contemporary print of a horse on their wall? Although it's not one I'd put in my own home, that art piece, that room grabbed my attention immediately. It was/is a terrific use of great art that literally made that room unforgettable!
    Lynn

• Totally.Clueless
    9 years ago

If I spot anything that looks beautiful and indestructible (I hafve kids and a dog) I save the photo. I don't believe that you can't have a beautiful home with nice looking things just because you have kids. I also realize that children are going to limit some design choices.

I look for functional design first, then how nice somethings looks. I'm all about function!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well color of course, first and always. High ceilings, lovely windows, a great view, and always traditional old english style...leaded glass windows, lots of wood trim...

But then again, if we're talking about what attracts me, I also get attracted by the ridiculous and the absurd...not because I'd love to see this in my house, but because I can't believe anyone would do such and thing...and probably get paid big bucks to do it!! I mean, how can you not spend some time looking at this room, figuring out what's going on, and what were they thinking!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ah, yes -- attracted to the dreadful. It's a Thing. ;)

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Interesting question! I've looked at thousands of pics and saved hundreds but have never really analyzed the things I'm attracted to. I like many styles so cannot say which attracts me more altho I do like a controlled mix of styles.

Vintage, antique, unusual, even steam-punk furniture and accessories.

Patina - the real kind that develops over decades. I like old solid wood furniture that is well kept despite the occasional scratch or ding.

Well arranged vignettes that do not look staged but as if real people use the objects.

Original art.

Color. While I look at and appreciate monochromatic neutral rooms I could not live with that. I love controlled pattern in upholstery and adore tapestry fabrics.

Well proportioned windows, a good view, and a nicely landscaped garden are essential for me.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I hate the fake and faded glory like Donna Decorates Dallas

I watched two seasons because it was like a train wreck - could not look away! Who decorates like that?! And yet she finds house after house after house that wants Donna... pays Donna to faux paint, glue fleur de lis and hang crystals on everything in the room that didn't move! I think they paid her extra every time she said "bling" during a show.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Architecture, stone, the view, traditionally styled yet very up to date, coordination, plaid, brass, comfortableness, warm colors, big rooms.

I was very attracted to the bedroom in browns & ivories with brass and plaids in a picture Foxes Pad posted on another post yet I don't recall any significant architecture but I loved the styling.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I realized at some point that I was unduly influenced by the lighting under which the room was photographed. Natural light = Good, warm incandescent light = Bad.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but it was good to figure out that a lot of the time, my reaction had very little to do with how the room was decorated.

• Mike121
    9 years ago

For me when i adorn the walls with age old photographs of my grandfathers or grandmothers in a monochromatic style is really appealing. Seeing their unpretentious beauty without any makeups is such a lovely experience.