Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

Painted tin tile as backsplash?

pps7
14 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm wanting to do tin tile as a backsplash behind the range. I like the look of tin tile but not the shiney finish. I want to paint the tin tiles the same color as the rest of my kitchen so it blends it but gives it a little texture. The rest of the kitchen will have no backpslash. There are no upper cabinets just one shelf.

What's the easiest way to do this? Should I do the real tin or some imitation product? I'm looking for something that's durable, cheap, easy to clean and easy to paint. Such a thing exist?

Comments (12)

• kathec
    14 years ago

I know my local Lowes and mom & pop hardware store both carry a plastic version. You could probably use a bonding primer and then paint. I've seen STIX by Insl-x locally, but I've not used it yet, so I don't really know how it will work. I'm sure the paint pros could answer that best.

Candace Olson from Devine Design did a kitchen with a cream colored painted tin backsplash. In that episode they used real tin, but it still had that shiny finish.

Kathe

Here is a link that might be useful: Candace Olson kitchen

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

We had this done in our kitchen, Pps7. We used one real tin tile and had a tin border put around it then painted it to match. I think they used liquid nails for the body then used the specialty nails for tin around the border. I love it! Good luck!

• pps7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hoosiegirl-I'd love to see some pictures. Especially if you painted it a non-white color.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

We have a painted tin ceiling tile behind our range. I don't have a current photo and I don't remember the process. I will see what I can dig up.

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Pps7, sorry, we did paint it a white-ish color.

Here are a couple pics anyway:

And here it is more in context:

Hope this helps a bit!

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Hoosiergirls photo was my inspiration for the tin backsplash and mine is painted cream as well- although they are totally different in shape and design. I still love hoosiers!

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

REALLY, Cooperbailey?! Our backsplash was your inspiration?! That is such a huge compliment! I hope you love yours too! (I'd love to see it sometime!)

• ctlane
    14 years ago

Hoosiergirl do you remember where you got the tin piece?

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

You can get tin backsplashes powdercoated in any color at American Tin Ceilings.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Tin backsplashes

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

I was going to say no, dont do it until I saw the image here. It looks wonderful. Makes me almost want to do this as well because my colors are similar. Hey hoosier girl, is that honed granite. It looks very nice. What color is it?

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Ctlane, we got the tin tile and molding from M-Boss Inc. (link below). We bought it unfinished and had it painted to match. I think I went with them because they had the design I liked, but I think they were reasonable as well. I do remember liking American Tin Ceiling's tiles also, and I think they have a better finish selection, but I knew I wanted to paint ours so that didn't factor in.

Thanks for the compliment, Oopsie913! No, it's not honed granite. We had such a large amount of counter that granite would have been a major investment and we were trying to keep within our budget for the build. It's Formica Blackstone in the Etchings finish, and I'm very happy with it! It was cheap enough that down the road if I decide I'd rather have something else, I can replace it without feeling too guilty about the price. But I like it so much I doubt I will replace it anytime soon. Soapstone is tempting, but we have many other projects that I'd rather spend the money on first.

Here is a link that might be useful: M-Boss Inc.

• pps7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks you everyone for the great pics and links. I've been looking at the American Tin Ceilings website. I think I'll just try it. It will only set me back $35 plus paint, so if I don't like it, no great loss.