Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karle13_gw

What size chairs for 36 in round table

karle13
9 years ago

I love the Ghost chairs, they are 21 inches wide, are 4 of them going to be to tight for a 36 round pedestal table? How do you figure out what is the right size? They also make a smaller one, that's 15 wide, but all the dimensions are smaller, can I do 2 and 2?? I have read that the smaller ones are not as comfortable and that's why I would rather do the bigger ones! Thank you for any advice!!

Comments (11)

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Do you already own the table? If not, could you push it to 42 or 48 inches? If not, could you put 2 chairs at the table and stick the 2 other chairs in bedrooms (or closets) when not in use?

45" table with armless ghost chairs

[Eclectic Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2104) by Washington Interior Designers & Decorators Megan Blake Design

• karle13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't own the table, but it's going in my sunroom to be used as like a card table, or extra seating if I need it for parties. So I am limited on space and liked the ghost chairs because you don't really see them.Thank you for replying!

• theclose
    9 years ago

I have ghosts with arms but around a 48" round. I think you could do 4 armless around a 36".

• User
    9 years ago

15'' wide is a child's chair, not an adults. A 36'' table is small to actually have 4 seated comfortably. Move up to a 42'' at least, and use the armless ones.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

36" for 2 maybe 3 people. You need a 42" table to seat 4 people.

• karle13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I, too, thought a 36" table would be too small for 4 people. So, I did what we all do these days, I Googled it. According to banquettables.pro, you can indeed seat 4 people at a 36" round table. Several other sites agreed.

At DWR, the armless ghost chairs by Kartell are 15" wide. With arms, they are 21.25" wide. These are not knock-offs. They are the real deal. Knock off armless ghost chairs with the same dimensions as Kartell are also sold at Amazon.

The Tobias Chair at Ikea is 19" wide. It is a clear polycarbonate chair with chrome legs. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Tobias Chair

• suero
    9 years ago

You need 18" wide chairs for comfortable seating space for adults. As for the table, a typical card table is 36" square. For the equivalent area in a round table, you would need approximately a 42" round.

• karle13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I am going to do a different style Kartell chair, they have a few clear ones where it's 18 wide, and stick with the 36 round table! The table will not be used as a primary dining table! I am just afraid 15 will really be to uncomfortable, even for a short time, why would they even make them that narrow?? thank you so much everyone!!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

As a bridge player, I'm glad you are going with a 36" game table. It is so difficult to play at a huge table!

• tjrp19999
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So sorry but I can't manage to show photos...

I am planning to purchase a Room & Board Aria Pedestal Table. I have fallen in love with the R&B Cora chair and trying with all I've got to accommodate these chairs. I'm getting the Sym Ink fabric on the chairs. Do you think a 36" Aria table will be too small for 2 chairs? We can accommodate up to a 42" table with only 2 chairs.

We don't want the Cora chairs (22"w x 21"d) to overwhelm the 36" table. Is a 42" the way to go? Will the 42" look odd with only 2 chairs?).

(Our dining area is 9'4" w x 15'.3" long but the way it is built we loose about 4' of actual dining space lengthwise.

Also.....I realize tempered glass can scratch and needs consistent cleaning and walnut needs good care, too. Does anyone have opinion on the clear glass vs the walnut top? I can't decide on the walnut or clear tempered glass top to go with the graphite base. I feel the Syms Inc fabric would look nice with the warm walnut but also the clear tempered glass.

All opinions are greatly appreciated.