Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

For the love of Target...

Sueb20
9 years ago

Last night a group of friends and acquaintances were at my house and some of them either hadn't been here before, or hadn't been here in a while. Various women were commenting on this and that in my house, and two specific pieces garnered the most attention. In this house we have furniture that ranges from Stickley Mission (both old and new) to Room and Board to...well, Target. The two things that people raved about were both from Target!! I am still sort of laughing over it this morning. So I want to ask -- do you have Target decor? Furniture? Accessories? I think they really have great stuff at times (and some junk, of course). Show us your Target finds!

This is my fuzzy footstool, which some have seen before. It's an attention getter. (I painted the legs on mine black.)

Comments (52)

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

What fun!

I purchased 2 of these lamps about 16 years ago as temporary bedroom lamps when we built our home.

I used them for a couple of years, then stored them a couple of years (because they were just cheap Target lamps), then purchased custom shades for them. I now use them on the sofa table, and can't imagine replacing them.

I love the shape, and they weigh a ton. They look and weigh like they're made of smoothed concrete.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I was walking through Target the other day an noticed these bar stools for about $95. Very attractive in person and available in about 6 fabrics. Will they last forever, probably not, but at least when you want to change the appearance in your home you have no guilt about getting rid of them.

I wonder how many people hang on to furniture they no longer fashion because they spent so much money on it to begin with they cannot justify changing to something new.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

The footstool looks like Shaun the Sheep!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I like the new Threshold line. I have several bath towels, dish towels, bath rugs in the master bath, etc. from that line. They have a great aqua greenish color that works in our home. I also have a couple of throws from Target and recently bought a great set of lamps from Target. I have found all of the items we've bought to be of good quality. I have some towels from there that we've used for several years.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

LOL, I know the feeling. I don't have anything form Target but I have two different chairs and a loveseat that always garner a lot of compliments due to their looks bought at discount stores. Chairs are from Ross and Home Goods. Loveseat from IKEA. I've decided I must be more adventurous when purchasing on the cheap so that results in something more standout. I tend to be more conservative in my choices from higher-priced stores.

Although I'm kinda stunned that others don't drool over your vintage Stickley. I know I would.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Nice looking chair, Sue! I can see why your friends assumed that it came from a higher-end furniture store. That fabric pattern is wonderful.
    I haven't purchased any furniture for our home anywhere for quite a while, but last year I needed to quickly get a desk, desk lamp and accessories for a temporary employee at our clinic. I found them all at the Target right down the street from the clinic. Afterwards, I moved the desk to part of our waiting room. I set it up there where it now holds a Keurig, a K-cup holder for the various coffees, teas, and cocoa. I purchased accessories, many that look like beaten silver, from Target as well. A tray and accessories to help to corral napkins, stirrers, disposable cups, sugar packets, small bottles of water, a bowl to hold healthful snack bars, etc. The drawers hold extras. Our patients and staff think it looks great . . . and they appreciate the refreshments, too (LOL). The desk has held up very well. I moved the desk lamp to my own desk here at home.
    Lynn

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

We don't have one close by so I don't go there anymore, but I do like them.

I am, instead, a total HomeGoods Ho'.

As Beverly mentioned, the nice thing about buying that stuff is that you can capitulate to the decor-as-transient-fashion reality, and then not feel awful when you want to dump the ikat or suzani or whatever.

The, uhh, not so nice thing is the offgasing and the feeding the global demand for child-labor or political prisoner labor or god knows what. Or the energy wasted to bring all this junk to us from China. That part doesn't feel so good.

But the prices sure do!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

ToHoGoHo here as well.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 14:04

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

In the little house, I have a small kitchen table I bought from Target. I was having a heck of a time find something in the right proportions for the tiny space and always kept coming back to the Target table that I was avoiding because it was a Target table. I ended up buying the table, bench, and four chairs because I was sick of looking and figured they would at least fill the space until something better came along. They've been going strong for more than 10 years :o

Sue, I've been oddly attracted to your furry stool since you first posted it! For some silly reason, I think I need one in my bedroom. I even looked for one, but none of our local Targets carry them, and it isn't available online. I guess I will just have to live vicariously through you. Can you post pictures of him with his updated legs?

• violetwest
    9 years ago

yes, I have the furry stool also. I also have a cool light fixture that's rectangular with cut outs that I bought years ago for $15 that I love. I put a blue bulb in there and it sits in the corner by my front door and really adds a great touch.

With very few exceptions, nless you can afford really high end furniture (which I cannot), all furniture is cheap crap anyway, so you might as well buy from Target.

• lemonlime
    9 years ago

I would love to get my hands on this task lamp if it ever comes back in stock:

I have some Thomas O'Brien Vintage Modern towels that are heavenly. They were purchased for color but turned out to be better than than our 3x costlier towels, and now they don't carry them anymore. Grrr.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

I love Target, and I love the footstool!!!!!! I was drooling over ones made of real roving and other real materials when I first found them on Pinterest, then Etsy. They were so expensive, but I'm sure it was the perfect price at Target! I wonder if they still carry them . . .
    I too have gotten some great stuff there, and some not so great stuff. Better than Walmart, that's all I got to say to the haters (and it's a post titled: "For the Love of Target"). Target actually does do good, and treats its employees right, I know firsthand. If you're shopping at a chain store, it's going to have factory-made stuff from China that's going to break easily. And if you want handmade, artisan, craftsman stuff, go to the craftsmen, shop Etsy, etc. If you can afford the high-end stuff, great. But if my stuff isn't handed down antiques, bought at a garage sale, from the side of the road, or refurbished from the thrift store, it's probably from Target. I like to be frugal!
    And I love Target, too!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant, one of the women who was here last night literally tried to order herself one while she was here and she would have had to have it shipped to a store about an hour away. Guess they were a popular item! I haven't seen one in my local store -- I had mine shipped there, though.

Here he is with his new legs.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

While I'm at it, one of my favorite lamps is also from Target, purchased several years ago.

For the record, I'm not suggesting that anyone should outfit their entire home with Target furniture, but I do think it's a great resource for the odd trendy item. I have also had great luck with their lamps, lamp shades, and patterned towels that I bought "for the kids" and now wish I'd bought them for myself!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We used to have a couple of TV/media units from Target -- they were inexpensive and perfect for our kids' rooms. We gave them away when we moved. I don't have any other furniture pieces, but I always look at Target for small appliances, bowls, etc. because I think they do a really nice job designing small things (like the Michael Graves lines).

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I shop at Target all the time for basics and food, because it's in a really convenient location. I always cruise the decor sales aisles -- sometimes they have some nice designerish things on clearance.

Completely useless for plus sized clothing, though -- even Kmart is better for that. And I wish they still had Martha Stewart stuff at Kmart!

This post was edited by Violet.West on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 12:35

• laila619
    9 years ago

I adore Target! I own Threshold bath rugs and towels, a Threshold shower curtain, Fieldcrest Luxury bath towels (heavenly!), and a Threshold TV/entertainment stand. The room darkening curtains in my kids' room and the bedding are also from Target, as is my kitchen rug. I have been pleased with everything so far. You can always find something great at Target.

This post was edited by Laila619 on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 12:44

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Nope, no Target here, except dorm room stuff like plastic bins and mattress pads. Always find something at HoGo and IKEA.
    However, I love that pig lamp and the fuzzy stool. What do you use that stool for?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I have 2 comforter sets from Target that are well over 20 years old; they have been in and out of the closet multiple times (as my taste changed) and laundered. Still look great. I have a couple of Martha Stewart quilts from KMart, too -- my late elderly mother asked me where I got the "hand made quilts" LOL.

I've had my eye on a pretty occasional chair from Target recently -- I surely don't need it but I think it would bring a great pop of color to the LR. OH, I can't find it now, must have been clearanced out! They do get some things in & out quickly!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom, we use the footstool for our foot(s)!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I was looking around for chairs for my kitchen nook, that picked up the X motif I have in my cabinet muntins. A google search turned up the Target.com chairs below. The big surprise was one of the available fabrics just happened to *exactly match* the David Hicks-ish pattern in some Surya rugs I had already purchased. DH much preferred the $82 price tag to the $2500 of the (fantastic and fine lined) Barbara Barry version. Though I could wish for a slightly higher level of quality, they are doing just fine as a sturdy kitchen banquette chair. I find target.com has an even broader selection of slightly better quality merchandise. But, I normally only buy sundries, groceries, garden stuff and occasionally some dish towels there.

I have trendy urges and I find I go bolder with less expensive and smaller items that can be replaced without as much guilt. HoGoHo's unite!

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

OMG HoGoHo's...too funny. I miss my old HoGo, we have TJMaxx and more..it's not the same when you have to have so much space for clothes and such.
    Love the piggy lamp and the stool reminds me of " Cousin It"

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I think Target has had great success with many of their designer collaborations, in fashions and home goods. I consider Target to be the same as shopping at Home Goods or IKEA. It's all mass produced, probably in China, and some items are better quality than others.

Years ago, I bought a bamboo towel at Target. It was the perfect size for my hair after a shower. Smaller than my bath towels but larger than my hand towels. Due to shrinking, it has become the same size as my hand towels. I'm glad I only have one of those towels after seeing the amount of shrinkage. I wonder if a hand towel would now be a washcloth?

• lilylore
    9 years ago

When I'm invited to diner, I always bring flowers. But because the hostess shouldn't be expected to stop everything and arrange them, I arrange them in a vase first. I am always looking at the target sale shelves for inexpensive vases I can use as a gift for b-days, house warming, etc. and I find the most beautiful things that I stow away on a basement shelf till I need one. The recipients are always amazed that I don't want the vase back (something I would never dream of asking, anyway) and usually love the vase more than the flower arrangement.

I also insist that the hostess doesn't put my flowers on the dinner table (I don't want to steal any of her glory), but use them somewhere else in the house, at most a sideboard. I usually suggest she use them in the kitchen or guest bathroom during the party, and move them to where she can appreciate them after everybody leaves. This also leaves me to arrange flowers at any height and use any kind of vase.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 16:41

• cawaps
    9 years ago

I love Target, but have not used them for furniture. I haven't been that impressed with the quality for the price point. I did get a bathroom rug there recently, and have at least one lamp from there. And a huge percentage of my child's clothing is from Target. Sporting goods, yes. Storage containers. Seasonal goods. Toys. A few groceries and personal care items. Just not furniture.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

That's a great tip, Lilylore. It can be disruptive to bring flowers at dinner time. I recall someone else mentioning when I posted about hostess gifts that that was why they sent them instead of brought them; but your idea is better value.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I guess that was a stupid question: So that stool is big enough to comfortably put your feet on it?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love that tip about vases...Another good source would be a consignment shop, I suppose. I'm so stealing your idea, Lilylore.

I forgot, I also have a Threshold cabinet at our beach house. Okay, that's all of my True Target Confessions furniture pieces.

Nosoccermom, I can put my feet on the stool just fine. Apparently it's too small for DH's big feet, because he still puts his on the coffee table. ðÂÂÂ

• ttodd
    9 years ago

I have these lamps. I've had them for a few years and they are sooooooo popular now, I have to laugh. The other day I saw them in something on TV. I see them so often in TV shows and movies, my voice is always in the background "There are my lamps - see - right there. Look. Should I rewind so that you can see them?" as if I have to defend my right to purchase these lamps 3 years later. The other night when I saw them in something I leaned over and said to him "Look, there are my lamps. You know, I see them on TV so much that we should start a drinking game.

In my home

Shaun the Sheep! I love Shaun the Sheep!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I don't go to Target as much as I used to, but it is my favorite of all the big box dept. stores. I think they have great design items and something is always catching my eye.

I never seem to find much at Home Goods--occasionally a bowl, kitchen gadget, or sheets. They just opened a new one closer to me but I haven't been yet. Hopefully it is bigger and more organized than my usual HG.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm actually going to HoGo today to see what they have for holiday decor, and I'll be thinking about you HoGoHos when I'm there! LOL.

I rarely find great things at HG, but I have gotten throws, pillows, holiday decorations, and picture frames there. Oh, and baskets. They have great baskets.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

In case someone does not know Shaun (pronounced Shorn,lol)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL I was not familiar with Shaun but I do see the resemblance. I do like some whimsy in my decor, so I'm cool with having a Shaun footstool.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I have nothing at all against Target, and your chair is so cute, Sue! I haven't bought any furniture there, but have picked up several things in their home goods department on occasion. They have cute seasonal towels, great colors in towels when I need an accessory color, bought some nice sheets there for the lake and some great towels and bath mats too, kitchen accessories/tools, a lamp for my office at work, the odd frame or two for photos, garden pots. I almost always go there when I need to make a run for paper goods, cleaning supplies, etc. It's much closer to us than Home Goods.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

The drinking glasses that I have came from Target. They are a clear glass with etched polka dots and I love them. I have purchased a few towel sets there.

I have never been to a Home Goods. I'm not sure that we have one.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'm a fan of IKEA vases (for example, the square ones or the plain white ones) and use those when bringing flowers to friends.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Now you've done it! I had to stop in there yesterday to look at lamps. I bought a cute little mercury glass lamp and layered linen shade. Both seem surprisingly well made :)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See?? Told ya.

;)

• User
    9 years ago

Gooster - pretty chair! I love your floor. Can you tell me anything about it?

• lascatx
    9 years ago

My counter height craft/work table with bookcase ends and my son's desk both were ordered from Target online. They look like Pottery Barn pieces and they've been great. I have a pair of chairs from Home Goods in my living room -- flanking the antique mahogany table from my grandmother. I wouldn't buy everything at either place, but I can say the same thing for any fine furniture store.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

My screened porch whicker furniture came from Target 7years ago. It has held up very well, and cost much less than buying designer outdoor furniture. This past summer, I changed the cushions to a cream Sunbrella fabric.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@Gail618: Thanks! The floors are original to the 1930s home, random plank, solid white oak, quarter sawn with a bevel. You can still recreate this using modern milled oak -- they patched the rest of my kitchen using the newly cut planks.

oh, and I had to satisfy the HoGoHo itch and went yesterday -- just got a couple of pillows for our airbnb place. I noticed what appeared to be a stager or model home ID stuffing her u-haul van with shopping cart(s) full of stuff.

This post was edited by gooster on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 16:23

• User
    9 years ago

I like Target. I actually try to stay away from it for that reason. Sue love, love that pig lamp!

Newhomebuilder - Nice porch and I really like your candle holder & candles on the sofa table!

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

My daughter is a big Target shopper and has to furnish a new one bedroom apartment after living in a studio apartment for several years.
    She found these barstools at Target that were very similar to ones that she liked at West Elm - for less than half the price!

• User
    9 years ago

There's no Target closer than an hour away, so I've not been more than four or five times in the past twelve years. I do have something wonderful though, that I bought at target many many years ago. It's a table runner of some dark green silky material bordered in a deep red velvet, appliquéd with lighter green holly leaves and beaded berries. It's sitting on top of our living room mantel right now with a deer family on it, but at one time or another it's been in every single room in our house. I think it was under $20 and it's safe to say I have gotten my money's worth out of this purchase!

OTOH, I am almost allergic to Home Goods. There's one near my mother, and I have visited it with her quite a bit but have never bought or even liked anything they have. People say you never know what's going to be there for sale, sort of like Tuesday Morning, but it's the type of stuff they have that really just doesn't appeal to me. So no love of either here, despite this fabulous Target runner from the late 1990s:

• polly929
    9 years ago

Here's my kitchen counter height chairs, bought at target.con 7 years ago and holding up fairly well since we are a 3 child house hold. The cushions are from Ikea.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

What fun, seeing all the Target decor items in situ!

I've only got one furniture item from Tarzhay but couldn't live without it: a bathroom storage cabinet. My master bath is vintage '50s tiny, about 5x8. When I remodeled I wanted a pedestal sink and of course that meant that other than the medicine cabinet, goodby storage space. I had a teeny little spot available for a cabinet but couldn't find ANYTHING small enough to fit. Until I found a perfect little Target bath cabinet.

Not only does it fit like a glove in the space, the style is exactly right for the bathroom. It isn't high quality furniture by any means but it's held up fine and I use it literally every single day. Thank you Target!

• bpath
    9 years ago

I have bought several lamps at Target. I really like their design! I've sent more on,now shades for them (just didn't like their shades) than on the lamps. But, only one has held up. All the others, the switches started getting wonky, stiff, stuck in less than a year. Two floor lamps had sturdy bases, until one day whe I moved one to vacuum and the concrete or whatever in the base had deteriorated so much I had to sweep I could vacuum, then toss the lamp. My bedside lamps are wobbly loose, but I can't get my hand or any tool far enough into the base to tighten the nut.

I get other accessories at Target, but no more lamps.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

HomeGoods really depends on the location. Mine is top notch; however, the one I visited near a very affluent area in CA was way below par.