Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoey75

TV console dilemma . . . Opinions please. Pics included.

zoey75
9 years ago

After 3 years finally got the huge 60" tv (my DH bought without me on Black Friday) off a coffee table. Not sure if I love this piece ...not sure if it looks cheap. What do you think?
I purchased it from Ballard designs and it cost almost $700 with shipping, which is a bit pricey for my liking. But I couldn't find anything local I liked and would accommodate such a large tv.

This post was edited by zoey75 on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 11:31

Comments (29)

• zoey75
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I don't think it looks cheap at all....I think it looks very nice. I made the mistake of getting one without doors.....more shelves to dust and harder to do around the components.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The console looks fine, but underscale for the TV...it's a problem with huge TVs...they can overwhelm everything. Functionally they're great, but for design, they can be an issue.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joanie,
    Thank you.

I always second guess myself. It is supposed to be walnut which I am not familiar with. So maybe I am not used to what walnut is supposed to look like?

• camlan
    9 years ago

At first glance, the console looks too short for the height of the tv. But the console itself is nice.

I think if you can put some taller things next to the tv, it will help with the overall scale of the pieces against that wall.

Perhaps a tall plant, as least to the top of the tv, in the corner by the window. Without seeing the rest of the room, or knowing what your style is, it's hard to say, but a bookcase, or a tall, lean piece of art on the other side might also help to balance things out.

I think part of the problem is that it is just the tv and console on that wall, and they are much darker than the wall color, so they stand out a lot.

Even changing to a darker fabric for the curtains might help to distract the eye.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I like it. As far as it being small, at least the tv doesn't hang over the ends, and I've seen that quite often.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

The stand is pretty! It would look a bit better if it was a tad longer but all is not loss. I would buy a tilt wall mount for the TV and bring it up off the furniture. There are some you can get that have a sort of rail that makes it easier for finding a stud for support. The tilt option allows you to hang it a little higher and still have comfortable viewing. By going this route you could easily correct the scale overall to the room with picture groups on the sides to get it all to jive with the height of the fireplace and the rest.

Edited to add: After that you can either go in wall for cables or buy a wall mount cable cover and paint it the wall color. I like the in wall better but if you choose the other you can put something in front of it on the console top.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 10:35

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

I like jterrilynn's idea. And the console is beautiful! I wouldn't second guess yourself on that, so versatile too.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Maybe add two small ottomans on each side of the console table (great use for extra seating) and will draw your eye out so it looks wider than the tv.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. My first picture is not showing in my first post. So I will repost to give you a better idea if the room.

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

I agree that the scale is a bit small for the large TV. I like the idea of the ottomans on either side. Our LR is actually very similar to yours, down to the window and the FP locations. We have an antique grandfather clock to the right of the TV console (really an MCM buffet) and an upholstered chair to the left of it. It helps fill up the wall a bit and makes the TV less prominent (at least I hope it does).

The chair doesn't get use every day, as DH and I sit on the sofa and chair that face the TV. But it's nice to have it there for when we have company, and (again, I hope) makes the room seem less like it is ALL ABOUT THE TV.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So very helpful. I appreciate all your suggestions and kind words about the piece.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I think it looks fine size-wise with the TV. I would not add anything to the sides. But my guess is that your husband will be adding speakers on the sides.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He might if I let him out shopping again, lol.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

It remind me of the local hardware store, where there is a sign posted:

Husband are not allowed to purchase paint without a note from their wives.

If only you could get them to post that at Best Buy.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Is the TV too wide to fit over the fireplace? Looks as though it could fit.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I think a TV that big would be overwhelming over the fireplace.

I agree with others that have said ideally, the stand would be wider than the TV, but it's okay. I don't think it looks cheap. I agree with putting a tall floor plant on the side between the TV and the window. It will also soften all those hard edges.

• dbrown2351
    9 years ago

Looks great IMO. Over the fireplace is a horrible place for a TV. Too high. Your neck will strain from looking up all the time.

Nice Cabinet. Looks like Walnut indeed.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I think it would fit over the fireplace. But Mr. Picky has endless reasons he won't hang it over the fireplace - will hurt his neck (the room is small so viewing might be a challenge with such a large tv), he doesn't wants holes in the sheetrock (he hung the precious sheetrock), the heat will damage it I can go on but you get the idea. First World problems lol

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I looked at yours again then looked at and measured ours. We have a 60" TV sitting on a 62" console...but the wall it is on is only about 68" long so we could not have gone with a longer console....there's about 3" of wall on each side. And I think that's the reason ours looks OK...the entire wall is TV and console. Since you have wall space on each side, it makes the console look dwarfed. Putting something on each side will make it look more proportional. I like the idea of a tall plant by the window. Maybe taller candleholders on the other side like the ones you have by the window, or even a large vertical print.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the awesome ideas. My husband made the candle holders so they will be relocated and I will find taller items. It is a smaller wall. As you can see from the pic below. You are all so talented.

This post was edited by zoey75 on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 17:52

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Decorating around a TV console, link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: TV console

• mary_lu_gw
    9 years ago

Nice looking console, not cheap looking at all. I think it looks fine! The suggestion of something taller between TV and window is a good one if you feel you need something.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I think I'd try hanging the TV on the wall maybe 5 or 7 inches up from the console. That will put the TV back about 8 or 9 inches and it will not be as prominent. It will also take up some of your extra wall space above it.
    I also like the idea of a tall plant in the corner.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

This is what I was talking about above with hanging the TV (tilted) off the stand. Try to create some balance with a rectangular painting for above the mantel that would be around the same height as top of the TV give or take. Hanging some nice art there will bring the eye there first and distract a bit from the TV.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 9:47

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I like jterrilynn's drawing but after seeing your other picture, maybe a chair won't fit to the right of the (very nice) console. I don't know anything about plants (or decor) but could you have a plant so close to the under the window baseboard heater?

What if you moved the candle sticks to the right of the TV and added a tall vase with tall filler to the left? I don't know what you'd fill it with but I've seen bamboo poles and tall, dried, grassy looking things in stores.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I just realized the chair would not fit so I took it out. I know a lot of people do not like faux plants but I have one (sort of like my bad drawing above) that you almost can't tell even after touching.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I really like how your wall looks with the TV mounted to the wall. Below is a link to a DYI 'how to' that I have been saving.

Here is a link that might be useful: DYI mount your TV to the Wall