Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

IGLOOCHIC---The Painter is coming tonite--what do I tell him?

beekeeperswife
13 years ago

I think we never finished our conversation about the SW paints--the high gloss conversation, etc. The painter is coming this evening, although he usually uses BM paints, I know he also will use SW if I tell him that is what I want.

Silly me, you have no idea what I'm talking about...do you?

Painting the 2 story foyer, high gloss dark color on the ceiling.

Do I need to request he use a special primer? Or can he just start with the high gloss enamel paint right over the ceiling paint that is there?

Also, can you double check the cans of paint you had left over? SW doesn't have anything with the word "glass" in it, they have "gloss".

Sorry for my little bit of panic, but I cannot send him away today with any wishy washy directions. I need details. And he is a very very good painter, been doing this for a long time. Perhaps he has even done this high gloss on a ceiling thing before. Who knows.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Holy cow. I do remember and I'm so sorry I forgot. I am just getting ivermectin a little walking phenomia (which I can't spell) and my brain was barely working last week!

I do remember though. I'm glad it's not too late

I would suggest a coat of primer to seal the surface and help adhesion of the shiny top coat. I only say this because ive always primed with this paint so I know how it turns out when you prime first. Given you are going dark, I ask them to tint the primer as dark as they can (it comes out a little. Like a musty purple). So for primer I use

All Surface Enamel Latex primer

It sticks to anything and blocks anything that might want to come through from the old finish. I only use this primer and don't recommend any others as it's always been the best base for the finish coat I like.

So the top coat (paint) I use is now called

ProClassic Interior Acrylic Latex.

Again don't let them talk you out of this for another because this is the best paint on the planet. I use the "gloss" sheen for the look I want and what you are after. Anything less won't give you the rich gloss you want. You often don't see this paint out on display because it's in their professional line so it's behind the counter.

Again I'm sorry. I'm so excited you are doing this! I can't wait to see the results!!!!!!

I love it when people do stuff that is unusual with paint. I'll have to post my gold metallic ceilings sometime. Heh heh. They might be right up you alley!

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

Igloo, did you always use this? Did I buy the wrong paint for my bathroom cabinet? I thought it was the All Surface Enamel Latex Base paint.

Bee - Can't wait to see how it looks! :)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sheesh--me too! I even have the sample chart of the enamel paints---The All Surface Enamel ones.

Igloo? Why did we think this? Maybe because this is "out front" the store? I hope you pop back in here to clarify!

Thanks again!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tick tock tick tock.....oh please check back...he's coming in a couple of hours.....

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

I don't know if this helps or makes it more confusing.

I know I rencently said that's what Igloo used. I guess I was wrong. ? Her clipping say...

I only use high quality nylon (Purdy) brushes. I prefer them for wood finishes. They cost more but they last forever! I did have the primer tinted, and tinted it's kind of light purple color LOL so it looks funny until you start putting more paint on. They hate tinting it, but make them do it anyhoo!
    Don't let anyone talk you into anything different (they always try to with me and it's never worked out). This is exactly what I use:

Primer
    Sherwin Williams PrepRite ProBlock Interior Exterior Seals and Bonds, Latex primer (it's the most expensive...but if you don't like sanding or using chemicals to prep, this is the stuff for you!). I've never had to sand or strip first using this on the worst shiny stuff.

Paint
    Sherwin Williams Exterior All Surface Glass Enamel
    Code IFC411X
    Woodsy Brown 100% mix formula 2924 (color code)
    They use Acrylic Latex HIGH GLOSS Ultradeep base 6403-25932
    Code A41T00204

Do not take a less glossy finish. This finish dries HARD and rich :) (There's a man joke in there somewhere but I'll avoid making it)

I use one coat primer and let it dry a day at least, then two coats (one day between at least) of paint with a good Purdy brush (which is important). With just one coat the grain still effects the paint, but with the two on top of the primer you get that nice smooth look :)

I'm a paint freak, so forgive me for saying this if you know. Don't use rollers for wood. I like a 1 1/2 inch and a 2 1/2 or 3" brush at the most. The smaller works well on the small areas so you don't drip or oversmear the sides of the project."

• msrose
    13 years ago

She says the paint she uses is "now" called.... Maybe they changed the name?

Laurie

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Sorry girls...yes they changed the names (and the "glass" was a typo).

The sales guy told me that the names were too close to other paints in their line and it was confusing to clients so they renamed a few products (mostly in the professional line).