Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_zone6

A year and a few cans of full spectrum paint

sandra_zone6
13 years ago

I live in a 1984 New England colonial, original kitchen including appliances that will not change any time soon as we just do not have the money. We've lived here 12 years, I've painted numerous times but was never 100% happy, never got the 'flow' I wanted using the cool colors I always went towards.

A year ago we were gifted a baby grand that just got lost in the room, didn't 'pop' as I wanted it to. I did a color consult with Ellen Kennon; she is a wonderful lady, gracious, patient, can't say enough kind things about her. She set up a warm color scheme for the downstairs and off I went on a years journey. Nothing drastic was done to any one room, some just the paint, the family room got new drapes, the hallway was the biggest change since wallpaper came down that was on the house from when it was built. Still have one more piece of the puzzle when our new front door is installed.

We worked around current drapes in the music room and dining room since they were custom made to match the colors that were in the rooms when we bought the house and I didn't have the money to replace. So the color of the dining room is a tad unconventional. My home isn't fancy like most I see here, but I am thrilled with the changes. Ellen's paint is a dream to work with, has such depth and life, movement.

Family room before:

{{gwi:1858619}}

After painting with Cafe au Lait and hanging new drapes:

{{gwi:1858620}}

before:

{{gwi:1858621}}

After. Still looking for some art for over the mantle. Santa has to hang there to protect the wall from the wood box until we figure out a new hinge system for the box.

{{gwi:1858622}}

Dining room before:

{{gwi:1858623}}

After painting with wedgewood and cognac:

{{gwi:1858624}}

Music room before:

{{gwi:1858625}}

After painting with Mustard Seed. Pic was taken before the switchplate cover was painted.

{{gwi:1858626}}

Kitchen before:

{{gwi:1858627}}

After painting with Spring Green and removing all valences:

{{gwi:1858628}}

Entry before:

{{gwi:1858629}}

After painting with Honeysuckle, removing carpet and staining the hardwood risers. I did the stairs twice since I was not happy with the first stain color. Hubby thinks I am crazy sometimes, but always likes the end results.

{{gwi:1858630}}

Comments (24)

• User
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW! Everything looks really great! The new colors really made the rooms look cozy and completely changed the look! I especially love the kitchen color and the dark stained wood on the stairs is wonderful.

I've always heard such wonderful things about her paint... I've been trying to stay away because I'm concerned once I use it, I'll be repaintint the whole house! You're making me want to reconsider. :)

• nana2010_gw
    13 years ago

Wonderful job !!! your home looks so warm and inviting

• alex9179
    13 years ago

BIG difference :) It looks so warm and welcoming and I really like the color you chose for the kitchen. Bold and makes the cabinets look tons better.
    You don't have to explain to me why you are reusing things...I'm the reuse queen. Most of my stuff is hand-me-down or thrift and window treatments are on hold for every room but one so I'm right there with you. Modest or high end...we all strive for welcoming and you did that.
    Sigh, someday I'd like to use her paint. The 3 kids really do a number on the walls right now, though.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Don'tcha just love it????? 'Cause I sure do. Everything looks great, but the dining room, especially, looks so elegant. (I mentally blocked out the pet kennel, as I do with the 2 huge kennels in my own elegant sunroom. :)) Enjoy the holidays in your "new" home.
    Dee

• susanka
    13 years ago

What a lovely update and new look! Aren't the warm and helpful folks on GW a joy? High-end or not-so-big, people here are so willing to help. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

• gobruno
    13 years ago

Huge improvement! What a difference paint makes! Great job!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Lovely!!!

• User
    13 years ago

The Power of Paint ! Wow,,,you have succeeded in making your home really warm and inviting and used most of what you already had just complimented it with the lovely paint colors.

On this forum you often hear folks say to use paint to make a change w/o spending big bucks. You are the best example I have ever seen. congratulations. c

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Wow! That color consult was worth every penny. I love the changes. What a lovely, warm space you have now.

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

WOW! Results look great. I especially like the stairway now.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Another BIG vote for the amazing POwer of Paint!! :)

Thanks SO very very much for posting the Before and After photos for each space -- a picture is really worth a thousand words in the decorating world!!!! LOL! :)

Wonderful transformation -- warm and inviting!

Well done indeed! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• beth4
    13 years ago

Excellent testimony to the powerful impact well chosen paint can have upon a room, or a series of rooms. Your house just breathes.....I can feel it by looking at the photos. Lovely, lovely changes, and they cost (compared to what you could have spent) little, yet achieved a dramatic change. Well done!

Beth, another whole-house use of EK paints

• beth4
    13 years ago

I forgot to tell you how beautiful your stairs are.....They look elegant, and really flow with the visual impact of your home. Congratulations!

• merrygardener
    13 years ago

Wow, your house grew up- in a good way! I especially like how the music room sings. The whole house feels welcoming.

• leafy02
    13 years ago

I love that kitchen color--it really makes the room. And I applaud you SO wholeheartedly for staining your stairs. I have wondered about staining my stair rail--the risers are oak, the spindles are white and the railing is just plain light wood. I've been to scared to try, so your photo blew me away.

Enjoy your beautiful changes!

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I love what you've done. I think the most dramatic change was in your living room. The new paint and drapes makes your furniture really stand out.

• scanmike
    13 years ago

Hi Sandra,

So happy to see everything finished. It looks fantastic. Love the Cafe au Lait. Just amazing how changing curtains and painting updates and warms up a home. Happy Thanksgiving!

Denise

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Beautiful home and I love the colors! I know why your piano doesn't pop though. I have the same problem with large, dark furniture.

I have dark wood floors also, hickory. A large dark piece of furniture just blends in with the floors.

You can easily jazz it up by adding some bright accessories to the top of the piano which will draw the eye to it.

Now I wish I didn't sell my piano! :(

• denali2007
    13 years ago

I too, have a center hall colonial(1985) and looks very similar to yours. You have done a wonderful job. The colors are beautiful and the drapes drastically change the look of the room. Enjoy your new space.

• haley_comet
    13 years ago

Wow your post is the exact reason why I love paint/color so much. It is amazing the difference color can make in a room - take it in a totally new direction and I have to say your home is so beautitful now. It totally came to life. Great job!

• hoyamom
    13 years ago

Your pictures are GREAT!
    I have used some of these same colors in my home - thanks to Ellen! I am really interested in your Wedgewood/Cognac combination. I have cognac in my MBR but would like to put a secondary color in there. I thought of a light blue but the wedgewood looks good.
    I have mustard seed and cognac of the colors you have.
    Great job!

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness...what a beautiful transformation! Your lovely home is even lovelier.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Amazing...good for you! Your home is lovely!

• deegw
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your pictures. The results are FANTASTIC and your story is a great lesson about the power of paint.