Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nys29_gw

effusion lamps where to buy?

nys29
15 years ago

A long time ago I read a post regarding effusion lamps. It's a glass "vessel" which holds a stone, a wick and essential oil which is supposed to make your home smell delicious. I would like to purchase one of these in a retail store (not online) and give it a try.

Does anyone know where to buy one of these? I did searches on pottery barn, bed bath and beyond, home goods, target and came up with nothing.

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• emagineer
    15 years ago

Have you tried Hobby Lobby? They are listed on their site with many options. Michaels did not. Now you have me interested and think a good candle store may have them. Perhaps calling some of the stores in your local malls.

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

Effusion Lamp(e)s aka Fragrance Lamp(e)s are a real specialty item.

I sold a lot of them in my shop and there is a definite difference in quality not only in the lamp(e)s but also in the fragrance oils, better known as lamp(e) parfums, that are necessary for proper usage.

Lampe Berger is the original and, imo, the best but the others I've listed below are also high quality companies.

The nature and complexity of the item makes it a very difficult thing to sell in a big box environment since it requires demonstrating usage and actually talking to the customer.

Your best bet is to go to the websites of some of the better known manufacturers and use the store locater feature or call to find a retailer near you.

Here are some high quality manufacturers that I'm familiar with:

Lampe Berger

Scentier

La Tee Da

Alexandria

• chijim
    15 years ago

I really like the quality and prices from this seller:

Courtney's Candles

I also really like their housebrand fuels.

• nys29
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your replies. I happened to stop in a Tuesday morning today and found a La Tee Da lamp. No essential oil though. Thanks for the links!

• chijim
    15 years ago

nys29 - Pls don't get what you burn in them confused, essential oil will not work at all - they are not oil lamps, the specific "fuel" you use is mostly alcohol.

jim

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

Yes! What jim said above! ^^^^

Do not burn OIL in the lamp.
    The fuel/parfum that is used is nothing like essential oil or any kind of oil for that matter.
    Putting anything but fragrance lamp fuel in the lamp is a real fire hazard.
    Do not cut the wick or try to keep a flame going on it either.
    I hope your lamp came with directions.
    If not, here is the proper way to use an effusion/fragrance lamp:

How to use a Fragrance Lamp

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I went to the E-Bay listing that Mammie posted, and the seller has this statement in the ad:

Insurance may be purchased for $1.70. I would strongly suggest purchasing insurance since this a fragile item. If insurance is declined and item is lost or broken during transit no claim can be filed and you will NOT receive a refund or replacement.

Can she do that? Isn't it the shipper's responsibility to get the item to the buyer?

• chijim
    15 years ago

"Can she do that? Isn't it the shipper's responsibility to get the item to the buyer?"

Yes

That's pretty much standard form at eBay - some build it into shipping cost and others make it an option.
    She's upfront about it, so you know where you stand.

Jim

• trailrunner
    15 years ago

I had one of the Lampe Berger and the oil smells awful..IMHO. I threw the whole thing out. I have the Body Works oil lamp now with the Lemon Basil essential oil and it is wonderful. You can get it in their stores or online. Less complicated, smells way better and less expensive. Good Luck ! c

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

Lambe Berger has over 20 oil scents to pick from, I'm using pink grapefruit right now; I have a recipe for making your own, although I've never tried it, someone here said it worked fine, I'll try to find it in my maze of papers and post it.

• nys29
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found a recipe online and followed it exactly--16 oz. 91% isopropyl alcohol, .5 oz distilled water and .5 oz essential oil. I bought the oil at Yankee candle.
    It worked great, except that the scent was too strong. I only let it "burn" for an hour and the house smelled great for the whole day. I like the fact that the flame is only lit for a few minutes then you blow it out. It's seems more like an incense to me. It's a nice alternative to candles. She did mention that you could add more alcohol to dilute the scent. I will have to try that.

I don't know how to post a link but the recipe I found was Christy's Thrifty decorating blog...

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I found the recipe for making your own, I have NOT tried it yet, this was posted
    in september 2005, I think by Shaun- ( where are you? am I right?)

RECIPE

"16 fl oz Isopropyl Alcohol 91% volume (473ml)
    0.3 oz essential frangrance oil (8.86 ml)
    just pour the fragrance oil into the alcohol bottle and fill your lampe berger with it"
    it also said in the post

"my favorite is the Satsuma Fragrance oil from Bath and Body Works...it's an orange scent. Wonderful and clean smelling"

I remember having a hard time finding the 91% volume alcohol, the one sold in pharmacies has a lower volume. Now I want to try it and will look harder.

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

I saw some yesterday at Pier 1.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

nys, I did not notice your post with a recipe, before I posted mine !!!
    I'll try both and post my findings !

• bassrebler2_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I got mine at Thelampstand.com mine was the sapphire crown most beautiful I've ever seen

• PinkChickOLaLa
    9 years ago

Hello people,

I love effusion lamps and always got the amazing Lampe Berger fragrances. I live in San Francisco, but Lampe Berger does not ship any more to California. There are some other brands such as La Tee Da, Alexandria's, Sophia's etc., but they seem like cheap imitations and smell weak/bad. Sophia's is the worst of the lot.

I love these lamps and have been using Lampe Berger oils/fragrances and feel lost without them! I have tried some independent ones on Ebay or Etsy but they are kinda hits or misses. Any other fragrance oil brands someone can recommend? Thanks