Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

What type of chandelier over farmhouse table?

pps7
14 years ago

Going to pick light fixtures today :).

What type/style light fixture do you think does with a farmhouse table? We are building a "contemporary" farmhouse style home. Below is link to the table we will most likely get. The size will be 42" x 96". Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: farmhouse table

Comments (25)

• jant
    14 years ago

That's gorgeous. I think depending on your taste, you could do a myriad of styles. I have always LOVED lanterns and they seem to be showing up quite a bit now in design mags and showrooms. Large black lantern?

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

Pretty table! I love perusing the Windsor Chair site, although I've never purchased anything from them. I like this chandelier, and they're offering a sale on all lighting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Becker chandelier

• pps7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the links! Those are very pretty. I'm not sure how I feel about flame lightbulbs. How about something similar but with shades? And since it's such a big table, would you do 2 chandeliers?

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier

• nicole__
    14 years ago

Just to give U an idea of size...my table is 92" long, the alabaster chandy is 30" across,5 bulbs.....only one........unless your table is longer???
    {{!gwi}}

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

I have a Hubbardton Forge forged iron chandy over my farm table, but mine has glass bells. How about this one with shades? It comes in many different finishes, including black iron.

Five Rivers offers excellent customer service - I've purchased about 5 of my fixtures from them and have no complaints.

Here is a link that might be useful: HF chandelier

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

pps7-
    Love the farmhouse table!!

I think there are so many styles of fixtures that would suit your table. (96'' is quite long so you could likely handle 2 fixtures, depending on the style)

I love the Restoration Hardware fixtures, but also love the idea of a couple of lantern style fixtures. Maybe even several glass Apothecary style fixtures.

If you are looking for something more contemporary in style, how about the fixtures with a large drum shade?
    Here's a pic of the one in our kitchen...
    I would consider 2 for the length of your table.

Happy Shopping:)

• lesmis
    14 years ago

I have the exact chandy that Juddgirl2 posted but without the shades. I love the light and had it over my farm table in my old house and will eventually have it over my farm table in my new house at some point. There are lots of choices out there though, depending on the kind of look you are after. I love Hubbardton Forge as well, they are great to deal with.

If you want something really unique you could use the same chandy I have in my dining room by Solaria. You will need to find someone who sells this brand as it's only available to the trade. FYI I have the smallest sphere and it's big! So unless your table is really big or you have high ceilings it may be tough to do two like they show in this picture. I do love it though and it comes in a variety of colors, I have it in the same metal finish as shown.

Good luck!

Kat :)

• polly929
    14 years ago

This is the chandelier I have hanging over my 96inch farm table.

Here is a link that might be useful: My chandelier

• kimmieb
    14 years ago

Someone recently had a thread about lighting over a farm house table and got a ton of suggestions. Can anyone remember that thread and post a link to it?

With that said I'm not sure what a "contemporary farmhouse" look is. Can you explain more what style that is?

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

That might have been my post - I did get a lot of great advice and ended up going with #2.

I also thought of using 2 chandeliers with this 9 foot table, but the mockup with 2 lights seemed a bit crowded so I decided to go with 1.

Here is a link that might be useful: Which chandelier over my farm table?

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Here's my pick!

Here is a link that might be useful: EA Essex Chandelier

• nicole__
    14 years ago

a James Radin take on 2 lights....

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 light fixtures over table

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

Your table is very architectural. And if your concept is contemporary farmhouse I would choose something simple, dramatic, and modern rustic.
    Couple things come to mind..

{{!gwi}}

(maybe in a rustic finish)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

you can also hang 2 of this type (there are many variations)

{{!gwi}}

Hope this help.

• lkplatow
    14 years ago

I have a long narrow farm table and recently purchased this light for over it:

I don't have it hung yet - waiting on a bit of work to get done in the kitchen first - but I'm really excited. I've been using a cheapy fixture i got off the clearance rack at Lowes for the past 7 years while I searched for my perfect fixture -- I'll be so excited to ditch my current one!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart Industrial Milk Glass Fixture

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I'd mix it up. I'd like to see something unexpected--maybe a Herman Miller shape or something modern. DWR is too spendy for me, but I like the Coral pendent.

Here is a link that might be useful: DWR

• 55chey
    14 years ago

Not sure that I can help with the choice of the chandy but I do know they have some nice ones on the same site as the table. That is a beautiful table. I too am planning on getting a table from them but have had no prior experience with them. Would love to hear feedback from you about your table purchase. Please keep us posted about your new table and chandy.

• Arapaho-Rd
    14 years ago

What beautiful homes! The only tidbit I can offer is that we have a wrought-iron type chandelier and my husband and I are both bothered by the lighting with or without the shades. Maybe it has something to do with those type bulbs. The light can be somewhat glaring.

• akrnhsnc
    14 years ago

What a beautiful table! I don't know if I can be of much help as I'm not sure what farmhouse contemporary is but when I saw your table, I immediately thought of a fixture like the one posted by DeeinOhio. FWIW, I had a long table in my previous home, approx. 96" and it had one large fixture that was 36" at its widest point. I remember the dimension because of selling it on Ebay. The size seemed appropriate to me, definitely not lost above the long table. If I can find a pic, I'll post it for a good visual.

• pmartin
    14 years ago

I too would love to hear more about "contemporary" farmhouse style, please share more details.

• suzienj
    14 years ago

nicole- your table/chairs are beautiful!

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

I love your table. I saw this in Ballard Designs. Scroll down the page they also have a one large Drum Shade light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandelier

• pps7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Love all the suggestions. So far, my favorite is the Hubbardton Forge. sam1948, we won't purchase the table for quite some time. The house will not be completed until next summer but I have to choose light fixtures now! If you purchase a table before then-please post about it.

As far as contemporary farmhouse-I just made that up LOL! Nothing new or exciting. Pretty traditional house with more transitional/contemporary decor ala Restoration Hardware. It'll be an all brick house, wide plank pine hardwood floors, simple square profile baseboard and casing, no crown moulding, white kitchen. I'll post pics when the house is done!

• pps7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What do you guys think?

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier

• HeatherDeFaz
    12 years ago

Can anyone find the chandelier that LESMIS (above) showed in her post? That exact style for sale? Cannot find it ANYWHERE!!!!!! Help please!!!