Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonnieann925

My boring sofa

bonnieann925
9 years ago

I've been following Gigi'smom's threads with interest. My LR is not nearly as elegant as hers, but I am struggling with what to do with the stripped sofa. The quality is good, but the fabric looks dated. Prior to getting the new blue rug we had a large red Oriental rug, that has been moved to tone down the amount of red in the room.

If I reupholster the sofa I'd like to do a cream velvet, but am open to suggestions for other options.

Comments (34)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Unless you are moving toward a totally monochromatic look, I would not do cream velvet. It will look essentially the same as it does now, and sort of "disappear" into the wall. That's a look, but you have to make sure that's' what you want.

If you don't really want Color, why not a silvery grey velvet like the background of the rug.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I would not do it in a cream velvet. You've got so much cream upholstery, along with the drapes, walls, etc. going on in there already. Also, with the walls, it'll just blend in. Not worth the cost to reupholster, IMO.

I think I'd go for more of a textured chenille in a deep tan.

I also think, just to say it, that you need a much larger rug and a much larger coffee table, longer/rectangle.

I think this fabric would look fantastic. It's got blues and browns in it ,andwould add some oomph to your room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baltic fabric

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or something like this

Here is a link that might be useful: Camel chenille

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

This would be beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Barrow Chenille

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or the Barrow in a lighter color

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Also note the thread below about fabricguru.com having a sale right now. You'll want swatches sent to you before ordering, if you go there, so I'd get on it!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Robert Allen Grand Chenille in Mica

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Do you plan to make any other changes to the room (rug, drapes, other reupholstering) or is your plan to just reupholster the sofa? I think that's where you need to start before you begin make fabric choices for the sofa.

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank Tibbex and Pal for the suggestions. I will take a look at a solid color vs. a white or off white.

Like Gigi's mom, some of these pieces (like the coffee table and the Pembroke tables) belonged to my parents. I won't part with the coffee table due to sentimental reasons.

The rug was purchased last year and I made a conscious decision to downsize. The plan is to open the wall between the kitchen and this room. This will allow us to use the back of the room as a dining room and to turn our existing DR into a library/office.

This is the rug I had prior to the recent purchase. This too, is from my late parents' home and has found a new home in DD's condo:

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Oaktonmom, Just the sofa. We have a family room and a sunroom. This room is my reading room and music room.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The coffee table is lovely, it's just too small for where you have it. Put it between the two chairs in front of the FP, or as a side table between the sofa and the love seat. No need to make it disappear!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

"Prior to getting the new blue rug we had a large red Oriental rug, that has been moved to tone down the amount of red in the room."

What amount of red in the room? Seems to me it was the *only* color in the room. Do you really want a monochromatic color scheme? If not, you might consider - since you are apparently fond of cream and blue - the blue velvet that just won't work in Gigi-mom's room. In a much softer, muted tone, of course. Something like this, but with more gray tone in the blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: blue sofa

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, it's a lot easier and cheaper to repaint a wall than to reupholster a sofa. So, I'd pick a neutral sofa color and go with yellow, gray, beige, blue, or whatever for the walls and accessories.

On the other hand, I also really like cream tone-on-tone rooms.

{{!gwi}}

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I love that red rug! I would have kept the rug and found a new sofa. I know, not everyone likes red. Just a matter of what you like.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

"The plan is to open the wall between the kitchen and this room. This will allow us to use the back of the room as a dining room..."

Do you intend to remove the wall entirely? If you do, won't you have to move every piece of furniture, including the sofa forward toward the chairs on the opposite wall? What *is* on the other side of the wall? What becomes of your "reading and music room" if it all becomes one big open space?

Sorry to be so inquisitive, but - as is often said - the devil is in the details. Re-doing the sofa may not be a good idea until you've thought out the entire plan.

• Mike121
    9 years ago

Well since you have grey or silver colored rug you can bring a natural colored sofa covering like beige or ivory colored but velvet is a strict no for me. As far as window treatments are concerned you can go for roman blinds that will give you privacy as well as proper sunlight.

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom, I like the first room you posted, maybe I do lean towards a monochromatic look. When you say it's easier and cheaper to repaint the walls, I agree but then you suggest a reupholstered sofa too? I guess I should expect this to be more complex then I was hopping for!

Tomato freak, there would be door-size opening on the right side, adjacent to the FP. I have a drop-leaf Duncan Phyfe table there currently. We use it with leafs when we want to seat very large groups for dinner.

Lots to think about. Off to look for inspiration pics. Thanks all!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I meant: I would not buy a sofa to go with my current wall or my curtains.
    Rather, I would go for a neutral sofa, and (a) IF the wall makes it look washed out, then I'd repaint the wall. However, I actually like (b) a monochromatic look, so in my case, I wouldn't have to repaint.
    Now, if down the line, I'd get bored with my neutral sofa, I could always paint my walls purple or blue or red or whatever. Because it's a lot easier to paint a wall than to reupholster a sofa.

However, if you overall still like your sofa but find the room boring, you could also repaint your walls in a darker gold or a blue or perhaps a tan, some color pulled from your rug that would go with the stripes in the sofa. I have a hard time seeing the actual colors.

I also think that you need a third color in the accessories, maybe a bright yellow or some green (plants?), and/or maybe black lampshades?

Also, what do the sofa legs look like? Would it look more updated without the skirt?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You'll get more bang for your buck if you paint instead of reupholster.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Wow, beverly; that's an astonishing change for a gallon (or 2 or 3) of paint! Definitely keeps the room from looking washed out. I think if you're going to have white walls, you need some color somewhere.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Having color on the walls looks really, really good. I'd love to see a lighter version of the wall color on the ceiling, but leave the beams white. If the OP doesn't like blue walls, taupe or gray would be pretty too.

• loribee
    9 years ago

Bonnie has a beautiful, traditional New England home. I can absolutely see the monochromatic look working well in this room.
    That being said, I loved the Robert Allen Grand Chenille in Mica fabric, or a maybe a pretty, textured champagne colored fabric?? I also wondered about a rich, navy velvet, too. (I would change the picture matting then).
    Can't wait to see what you decide!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Bonnieann, IMO this room appears to be a cute cottage like room, with dated furniture, which would not be classified as "classic" in design. I painted your walls blue to keep you from spending a penny on that sofa. It will cost you more to reupholster it than to purchase new.

I have no idea how old you are, and let's be frank, age, finances & location always influence our decisions about our homes and interiors. However, Rooms to Go is selling this slipcovered Cindy Crawford sofa for $788. It is classic in it's design and the covers can be changed out if required. Whether you're 25 or 75 a sofa like this works and is a good start to build a room.

These are examples of cottage style interiors using classic style furniture in a more updated fashion with blue accents. Good luck with your room.

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the blue mock up Beverly, such a dramatic change. We have a blue LR here on the Cape. I have been on Houzz and Pinterest. I think I'll have the sofa reupholstered in a neutral and work on picking up the brown and deep reds in the rug. I have a red ottoman in front of the FP. Also have plants at the front of the room.

I guess in the end the living rooms rooms that most appeal to me are monochromatic.
    Lori, so good to hear from you. Hope all is well!

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

I love the blue walls!

I haven't heard good things about Rooms to Go upholstered furniture. If her sofa is comfortable and well made, I think it's worth redoing. But I don't think just changing the sofa is going to make the room look very different.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

How about something along this look?

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

While I love a neutral room, I worry about adding another off white in another fabric when you already have 3 off white chairs of varying shades of off white.

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yesterday I stopped by an upholstery shop, went in and looked at fabrics and at some of their current jobs. I got a quote, based on a photo of my sofa. It would cost $900.00, not including fabric. I've decided I don't hate the fabric quite so much anymore! The guy did say that the brand sofa I have is high quality and worth reupholstering.

I have heard the same thing about Rooms to Go furniture as was mentioned. NSM, love that sofa and soft blue wall color.

So after work I went home and added some pops of red (I shopped my house, mostly the linen closet) to pick up the red in the rug and to add another color, as was suggested.
    Thank you to all who responded and gave opinions and advice. It is greatly appreciated. Here's what I came up with for now (Billie approves):

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

LOVE the dog! St. Charles or Cocker?

P.S. I'd stack the pillows in the corner. The one in the middle looks lost and lonely.

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

what a cute little cavalier!!!!

Rooms to go furniture will not hold up to any use. Stay away! I tried to tell a friend the same thing, but she had to find out for herself :(

The red rug crowded the room in my opinion.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Not a big fan of the red accessories. It looks too forced. I'd stick with the monochromatic look or go with softer color accessories. Love the cavalier though.

• JennaVaNowSC
    9 years ago

Could you slipcover the sofa? Perhaps try a ready made first? That would give you a neutral base and really update into this century. No offense intended, it is a lovely sofa. I agree with oaktonmom, the red is trying too hard.
    I have one very similar, mine is a tweedy green.shows as a solid color. Stepdaughter keeps trying to get me to replace mine, but I love that curved back.
    When we moved into this house, I added two off-white slipcovered swivel chairs, and a lively patterned area rug to pull colors from.
    All this rambling to say you have a lovely home. Do what makes you smile when you walk into the room!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I personally love everything blue. Can you shop some blue or blue-and-white lamp bases or vases in your home?
    Overall, I really like your room. Perhaps bring in some flowers or plants.

• JennaVaNowSC
    9 years ago

Edited to delete duplicate post

This post was edited by JennaVA on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 18:05