Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamywhite

Anyone use drapes over patio door instead of vertical blinds?

dreamywhite
14 years ago

We have 2 patio doors in our new build and I was thinking of using drapes with rings instead of the traditional vertical blinds. Has anyone does this before and can you post a photo if you have? I think it might look classier than vertical blinds. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Yes, I did. I hate vertical blinds, but that is just me. I don't have a photo handy. I wish there was another solution to patio doors. I will be interested in seeing what other people post.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

dreamywhite - my guess would be that most people don't use vertical blinds. Drapes have the drawback of getting caught in the door. I used horizontal wood blinds on my patio doors:

• sewwhatsnew
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1538228}}

Do you have french doors or sliders?? At our previous home, these custom made panels worked great for me on our sliding patio door and we used the door regularly.

• andee_gw
    14 years ago

Draperies on sliders. And yes, there is some interference in opening (mostly closing) the door, but it's worth it to have nice window treatments. I like sewwhatsnew's tie-backs.

• parma42
    14 years ago

I have a bayed patio door. No view, to speak of, so I wanted to go with fabric.

• dreamywhite
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooh nice photos, yes I have boring sliders as my DH thought that french doors were less energy efficient. (Silly yes I know) but at least I think I can open the doors in the summer with the screens on for fresh air with sliders. I love all the photos.

One quick question does anyone suggest a double rod with drapes and then a sheer underneath or do you think that a curtain will be good enough? One door is in the kitchen, but one is in the master bedroom and we want room darkening somehow. I did purchase the silk drapes from PB and I bet they will not be dark enough, but I just had to have them anyway.

• sheesh
    14 years ago

I have French Doors (with screens) and sheer draperies that bank on one side like avaclark's, but mine bank completely off the window, on the wall next to the stationary door. We never close them, though, except on the coldest winter nights, because the back of the house faces the woods...no neighbors back there.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner