Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone use drapes over patio door instead of vertical blinds?

Posted by dreamywhite (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 14, 09 at 8:54

We have 2 patio doors in our new build and I was thinking of using drapes with rings instead of the traditional vertical blinds. Has anyone does this before and can you post a photo if you have? I think it might look classier than vertical blinds. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone use drapes over patio door instead of vertical blinds?

Yes, I did. I hate vertical blinds, but that is just me. I don't have a photo handy. I wish there was another solution to patio doors. I will be interested in seeing what other people post.

o

dreamywhite - my guess would be that most people don't use vertical blinds. Drapes have the drawback of getting caught in the door. I used horizontal wood blinds on my patio doors:
Sunroom blinds

o

Photobucket

Do you have french doors or sliders?? At our previous home, these custom made panels worked great for me on our sliding patio door and we used the door regularly.

o

Draperies on sliders. And yes, there is some interference in opening (mostly closing) the door, but it's worth it to have nice window treatments. I like sewwhatsnew's tie-backs.

o

Photobucket

I have a bayed patio door. No view, to speak of, so I wanted to go with fabric.

o

Ooh nice photos, yes I have boring sliders as my DH thought that french doors were less energy efficient. (Silly yes I know) but at least I think I can open the doors in the summer with the screens on for fresh air with sliders. I love all the photos.

One quick question does anyone suggest a double rod with drapes and then a sheer underneath or do you think that a curtain will be good enough? One door is in the kitchen, but one is in the master bedroom and we want room darkening somehow. I did purchase the silk drapes from PB and I bet they will not be dark enough, but I just had to have them anyway.

o

We have 2 sets of patio doors. I use drapes/panels on each one. I think it softens the large doors.

Sorry for the dark pics--flash not working.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I have French Doors (with screens) and sheer draperies that bank on one side like avaclark's, but mine bank completely off the window, on the wall next to the stationary door. We never close them, though, except on the coldest winter nights, because the back of the house faces the woods...no neighbors back there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here