Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemonlime_gw

Lighting - replacing it all at once

lemonlime
10 years ago

We are about to close on a home that requires just about every single light fixture to be replaced. Why? Because the home belonged to a quite elderly lady and nearly every single light fixture in the house was replaced with a giant rectangle fluorescent fixture. Everywhere! Three in the living room, one in the dining room, etc. We were told that she "loved bright light". She sure did.

The house is pristine otherwise, with beautiful hardwoods, etc. so I don't mind changing fixtures.

I am looking for advice or experience on doing the whole house at once. In my other homes, the lighting upgrades evolved over time or with kitchen remodels, etc. But blazing overhead fluorescents, I cannot live with this at all. We are dimmer and nice lighting folks.

But on the other hand, I prefer living somewhere and letting the design and functionality evolve. I don't want to spend a fortune on lighting then regret it.

I need a plan.

Comments (4)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'd suggest going to a lighting store. If they know you are doing a whole house, they may send a lighting designer to your home to help you pick them out...at least our store did for us when we were building. She was very helpful.

• sreedesq
    10 years ago

I recently bought and am remodeling a house from the 70s. Some fixtures I cleaned, painted and reused. Others I can't do anything about b/c of drywall issues that I don't want to fool with. But, for normal lights I have had excellent luck with Overstock.com. I have purchased pottery barn knockoffs (the camellia 6 light and cone shape), bathroom nuvo sconces, and crystorama flush mounts and chandeliers. Often I would catch a sale and once I even got a price adjustment when the price went down. It has helped me achieve the look I wanted without blowing the budget.

• lee676
    10 years ago

It isn't very difficult to change lighting fixtures. Somewhere above the fluorescent fixtures is an electrical junction box; you can pull down the existing fixtures and attach any surface-mounted lamp, including those that drop from the ceiling some, or chandeliers. Hopefully, the electrical boxes in a room will be lined up with each other. Some lamps use a short chain so you can hang them from a hook near the electrical box rather than directly below it. A large fluorescent fixture will also have a few mounting screws on the sides, so you'll need to rip out the anchors then fill the holes and repaint.

If you don't want obvious lighting fixtures hanging from where the junction boxes happen to be, you can use these LED disk lamps which look like recessed lights, but they're not really recessed and don't need the usual "cans" - they take advantage of the small size of LEDs to fit flush and attach directly to the electrical junction box. If you don't want a lamp there at all, you can cover the electric box with a round plate, or remove the box and drywall it up.

If you have access from above (in an attic), it's fairly easy to relocate the electric boxes (or install new ones, or new recessed lighting). This can also be done even if you don't have access from above although it's a bit more work.

• lemonlime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your responses!

I hadn't thought of a lighting store with a designer, but that's a good idea.

I will check out Overstock. I stumbled onto Young House Love's line at Shades of Light, too. Some are attractive and all are affordable.

Lee, the LED lamp looks like a great option for some of the spaces we're working with. I wish I was comfortable doing this stuff, but I think we'll need to hire an electrician. Afraid of burning the house down or electrocuting myself :)