|Hello, I picked up this little desk/table to use to put my sewing machine on. It's made of maple and is in very good condition, except the top that has several light scratches on it.
I'd like to stain it darker and was wondering if I could just lightly sand the piece with sandpaper and then use gel stain on it. I know I've seen people do their cabinets on this forum, and was wondering if they think this would work. Or do you think I have to sand the whole thing down to bare wood?
Attached are photos, the only areas that have scratches are the top & legs, & they are not deep.
|Cute. And a very useful design. |
Yes, you could sand it lightly and use gel stain to darken it. Maple, because it is dense, is hard to stain with a penetrating stain, but the gel stain is more paint-like.
Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum
- You must be a registered member and logged in to post messages on our forums.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review the contents and make changes.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- It is illegal to post copyrighted material without the owner's consent.
- HTML codes are allowed in the message field only.
- No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.