Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pugga_gw

Ideas for simple Christmas decorations

pugga
10 years ago

I mentioned in another thread that I'm recovering from ankle surgery and a broken arm. Almost all back to normal but not quite. I don't think I can manage to get my tree up this year but still want some holiday cheer.

The problem I'm having is that my usual Christmas "theme" is not traditional (not that I'm opposed to traditional). My tree is white and I decorate it with pink feather boas, dancing pink, black, and white poodles, lots of sparkly little ornaments. Since I'm not putting up the tree this year, the rest of my usual decorations will look kind of silly on their own.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on totally new decorations. I'd like to decorate the mantel and side tables. Probably not the banister as I'm still a little unsteady on stairs and need the banister as support. I do have a few things that are more traditional (a carved Santa, a golden reindeer, probably a few other items that I'm not remembering at the moment).

Can anyone help by giving me some inspiration that's simple and won't break the bank?

Comments (26)

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I think a great big poinsettia plant makes a wonderful holiday decoration. Maybe the pinker color will go with some of your existing decorations.

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

A few years ago, someone here (Tina?) took regular clear glass jars and stuffed them with white twinkle lights, and had them on the window ledge above her sink. I (literally) went through the recycling trash to replicate the idea. I displayed them all around the perimeter of my counter top. I have never received so many compliments on a Christmas decoration, with several people copying the idea.

This post was edited by deeinohio on Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 8:19

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I receive quite a few xmas cards every year, so I display them on my mantel....can't get lower cost than that.
    ;)

A trend I'm seeing a lot of this year is displaying xmas ornaments not on a tree...in a bowl or a tall glass cylinder or a lantern or on a tray with greens and/or pine cones.

I love candles in all sorts of candle holders. You can get inexpensive LED lights and put them anywhere without risk of fire if you prefer.

• User
    10 years ago

We have alot in common I am healing from a broken foot and a shoulder injury plus I have a white tree I couldn't help but laugh. I called a friend to help decorate but if that is not an option what about a christmas rosemary tree. Christmasy for now but useful later.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Pugga, I like AnnieDeighnaugh's idea of using your regular ornaments in bowls or strung into your chandelier or across your mantel. Feather boas would look good as mantel garland and with Command removable hooks, you can hang almost anything anywhere.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I like to do a simple mantel with white and silver containers holding small house plants, a few candles and I call it done. Simple and quick - no need to even pull anything out of the basement or attic. Obviously you'd use something other than a Menorah for Xmas!!

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

Another idea would be to get one of the 3-4' norfolk pines that are live (and for sale everywhere this time of year) and decorate it with some of your ornaments. Then you could use your theme!
    I love all of the above ideas and may use some of them myself. I'm not going to be home for the holidays, so don't want to get everything out, but the decorations have such an effect on my mood, I have to have some. Love your mantle, dlm!

• loribee
    10 years ago

Love your mantle too, Deb!! Simple yet elegant.
    Dee~ I remember that kitchen window too...loved it!!
    Annie~ sooo pretty!

Feel better, Pugga & CL! :)

• pugga
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Such good ideas! I do have some white pieces I can use on the mantle, including a white bowl for ornaments. I'd like to try the twinkle lights in something, too. Don't know if I have anything clear, though.

CL, sorry to hear about your injuries but how strange we have such similarities! Heal well.

Thanks so much for the inspiration, everyone. I'm feeling the spirit.

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

Special ornaments can be hung from live or fake wreaths. I often remove a picture from the wall and replace with a wreath at the holiday.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You can use epsom salts like snow in the bottom of a glass jar or container and then put the candle in it.

Also, putting round ornaments on top of candle sticks makes an interesting addition to a table.

{{!gwi}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I saw another picture where they filled a wine glass with ornaments, turned it upside down and used the foot of the glass to put a pillar candle on.

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

by the way the glass jars with Christmas lights in them was posted by Kat. and her screen name was LesMis I think, I loved the idea too!

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Don't you need battery operated lights to put in glass containers?

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think the christmas ornaments in bowls or on candle sticks, etc would only work in cat free homes!
    i lost several ornaments when trying to display them as centerpieces on tables, etc one year-- our cat loved them and learned alot about gravity that year!! lol

agree that candles and lights can add much festivity to mantles! fresh pine and some holly sprayed with wilt proof can last quite awhile indoors--- along with lights and pinecones can look beautiful!

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

Cooper, you have a fantastic memory! It was, indeed, lesmis.

I googled to find the pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Twinkle lights in jars

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I had similar problems last year and filled some candle lanterns with ornaments!

If you are crafty, I think these Style at Home wreaths could work and be done in nontraditional colors:

Fabric strip wreath

I think I like this one better personally
    Paint chip wreath

You could also fashion your boas into wreaths!

Boa wreath

Finally, my MIL ties ribbon around her interior doors with a bow and it is HUGE impact for something that takes 5 minutes - but you need wide ribbon and quite a bit of it.

Like this but just the ribbon

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Pugga, I hope you have a fast recovery!

Lights in a jar are nice only if you have a timer. If not you'll have to get up and turn them on and off.

One year I took a large picture off my LR wall and wrapped it like a present & hung it back up. It was cute!

Here are a couple of things I did this morning. I already had the pitcher and tray/stand, so I just added some bulbs and flowers.

• pugga
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, my! Such pretty ideas! I love the lights in the jars. Wonder if I can figure out how to do that with what I already have. I don't have cats to worry about, although I'm sure my old cats would have assumed I'd made them toys. I have a couple of dogs but both are of the stubby-legged variety.

Okay, here I go to scrounge things up. I will try to post results later.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I did lights in pickle jug jars years ago, back in the 1970s (when my mother owned a restaurant). Mother had done this, but she admonished me that they will heat up after a while so take care to unplug at intervals. I did not leave them burning when away. I put them in bookcases with light outlets, plugged them in at dusk and was careful to unplug in an hour or so. I had mirrored bookcases so they were quite the show, but do take care to unplug before they heat up or nowadays, use the battery operated ones.

• leenamark
    10 years ago

All the tips discussed here are awesome. Thanks all for sharing

• fivefootzero
    10 years ago

I actually saved that pic with the glass mason jars and the lights...it was during the time I was doing my kitchen and loved the idea. Now I can't find the picture, but I believe she had a blog...here's a link.

Good luck with your recovery ladies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jar Lights

• mdrive
    10 years ago

re: lights in jars...

i found these really cute white lights that were 'star' shaped at home depot (martha stewart) and they were VERY reasonable...i used them on my mantle wreath and interwined them with the fresh greens

get well soon, pugga!

Here is a link that might be useful: 30 count lights for $7.48 with built in timer

• mdrive
    10 years ago

re: lights in jars...

i found these really cute white lights that were 'star' shaped at home depot (martha stewart) and they were VERY reasonable...i used them on my mantle wreath and interwined them with the fresh greens

get well soon, pugga!

Here is a link that might be useful: 30 count lights for $7.48 with built in timer

• pinch_me
    10 years ago

Does anyone have a string of LED lights? Do they get hot, too?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

LED lights do not get hot. At all.