Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novacat_2010

do these pics look too blah

novacat_2010
9 years ago

so in my search for a taller lamp on the left side, i saw these pics at home goods. first time i came across something for over the sofa. besides the fact that i really do like them, i figured they really would look good.

i put them up (needs tweaking) and kinda think it looks blah.

as you can see, my lv is traditional but i wanted a little more updated look. the older i'm getting the more i'm leaning towards contemporary. a friend came over last night and although she likes it, she said it looks like a jc penney showroom...yikes!

I may keep these pics for another room that i'm redoing, but what do you think of these over the sofa?

Comments (28)

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's a close up

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I agree with you, kind of blah, at least as it appears in the photos. I would prefer something wider.

How many of your knick-knacks are treasured mementos versus just stuff you happen to have?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Artwork is so hard. If you aren't loving them I would take them back. Personally every time I looked at them I'd think of the JCPenney remark, and that would bug me. But maybe you're mentally healthier than I am? LOL

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Art is so subjective. If you really like them, then keep them. Size-wise, I think they're okay, though I might move them down just a titch and apart a couple more inches.

Are you going for a more monochromatic look? If I were shopping for artwork for this room, I'd be looking for something more colorful, but that's because I like color. You might not. I find the prints you've chosen a bit too subdued, even somber...almost spooky! Hm, is that worse than the JC Penney comment? Having said that, again, art is subjective. You might think the art in my house is hideous!

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sueb20, no, not worse than the jc penney comment lol...but yeah, you're right, spooky. back to the drawing board!

graywings, for me, the knick-knacks are pared down! lol. but seeing my own pics on here, i agree that i should readdress that issue as well.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I actually think the print goes perfectly with the room but that the black frames are harsh and not right. I also think three might work better than two.

As for the JC Penney comment, I hear that as it just lacking some of your personality and being somewhat sterile. Add a throw you like to the sofa, a couple of muted-color throw pillows, maybe.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sueb20, no, not worse than the jc penney comment lol...but yeah, you're right, spooky. back to the drawing board!

graywings, for me, the knick-knacks are pared down! lol. but seeing my own pics on here, i agree that i should readdress that issue as well.

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

I agree with the too blah.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here i go again with these double postings. my computer kicks me off and then when i reconnect it sends my post again. sorry

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tibbrix, they aren't black frames, they're taupe. darker taupe than the sofa, but taupe. that was another reason i bought them.

but in these pics they do translate as black. (or so dark they might as well be black.) a tad better in person. what to do, what to do, what to do!

i have my spackle and just got done filling holes. i have another home goods nearby and will be going there today.

gotta make that floral on the coffee table lower and less bushy (?) and maybe the vase smaller and a bright (er) color (?)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The only thing that jumped out at me about them was the stark black frames, but if that's just how they came out in the pic, then I think they're very nice and go with the room nicely. If you can find a third, though, I'd grab it. I think that would help a lot. Also, get the table height thing resolved. Ideally I'd suggest finding two entirely new side tables, not matching but similar, but the are taller than the lower one and shorter than the tall one. The side tables I think really distract.

I think the flowers on the glass table are fine! But then again, my coffee table is always covered with tools and mail and just messy all the time!

But, you might try putting that glass bowl on the second shelf of the tall table in the center of the coffee table, put the box that is on the coffee table where that thing was, put the flowers somewhere else (pics of the whole room again, please?). and the candle votive (?) that's on the coffee table also elsewhere.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I think the pieces are rather intriguing and I would keep them. You like them and I like that the frames are taupe. By the way, I'm a pro artist lol.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I think they look good, and if you like them, keep them. I'd add some sofa pillows, maybe in blue or turquoise. I'd also think about blowing up some personal black and white photos. They are inexpensive, e..g at Costco, or maybe even try the large engineer's prints.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here you go.

tibbrix, right now i cant afford to do end tables. barely affording the lamp and artwork. i rearranged the coffee table, better?

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another

• muskokascp
    9 years ago

novacat,
    Have you been on Houzz before? It's a great place to find the style that speaks to you then you can go forward and try to put your own stamp on it. The pictures do nothing for the room really and remembering the wider shot of the room the sofa side tables cause a disjointed appearance. Are you open to sourcing other pieces or do these ones have important meaning and are staying?

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes, i go to houzz alot. but like i said cant afford to do much except little things here and there. i think the right pic (s) over the sofa and some revamping on the coffee table would have to suffice right now.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

last one. kinda looking at the front door

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

my big fish....conversational piece? sculptural element, or just plain crazy?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like the fish! I also really like your colors and the form of the chair with your more contemporary couch..
    Is that a working fireplace? If yes, is there a way to put the chair next to it with a side table and reading lamp, and maybe move the couch in front of the window?
    Here I am rearranging your living room.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes, when i first bought the house (in 1979! lol) i had the sofa in front of the window, but didnt like that i was looking into the kitchen. the sofa, where it is now, is facing the entrance (good feng shui?) and no, not a working fireplace. by the way, i dont mind anyone rearranging the layout. any suggestions are welcome and i dont get insulted!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

OK, then never mind.
    I was just picturing some wine, cheese, book, and a roaring fire :)

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Your sofa is lovely, Novacat. The entire living room is lovely. To me, though, it seems very muted, as well. Art in one's home is such a personal thing. I believe passionately that your art needs to make you happy every time you look at. Don't settle for anything less! You can find very reasonably priced art at consignment shops, at Home Goods and other similar places. Wait until something really speaks to you and you know in your heart that it will make your living room sing.

As Sue mentioned, art says different things to different people. I did notice though that the two pieces over your sofa are very similar to the long, narrow one elsewhere in your room. Did you buy these latest two to coordinate with it or because you truly love them?

As for the pieces you have over your sofa now, up close I like them but would prefer to see them hung one above the other someplace else. But that's just me; one individual's personal response to them. What matters is what you think. You're decorating your home for you, not for some magazine and not for us. If you decide to keep them, I would lower them by half the height from the sofa. I'd also add a couple of bold throw pillows in an accent color and/or pattern that you prefer. And then pick up that color in accent pieces elsewhere in the room.
    BTW: keep a lookout at garage sales, church jumble sales and consignment shops for a table to replace the too tall one on the right there. I found mine for only $7.50 and it's working perfectly with a chair in my own living room!
    Lynn

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

I think I might switch the table under the mirror (which looks too low), with the too high one next to the couch.
    I'd probably put the fish under the mirror, also. Perhaps on the second tier.

I like the pics. They don't always have to shout out!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Love the fish and the wall colors!

Here's what I'd do. Take the flowers off the coffee table and put that bowl of balls in the enter of the coffee table. I think that bowl of balls really compliments your coffee table.

Move the tall glass table to the entry way, under the mirror, and move that smaller table next to the sofa.

Put the vase of flowers that are on your coffee table where the fish is. Put the fish on the floor in the corner of the fireplace and corner going into the kitchen.

Cool!

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I like the art over the sofa, but not in that location. They are what I consider intimate interests, rather than focal subjects; you cannot really tell what the picture depicts from a distance, but they have a subtle beauty up close. I would put them in a hallway, where they are only viewed while standing quite close to where they are hung.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think your room is very nice, with many pretty things. Love the fish, too!

I had the same thought as shadylady to switch out the glass shelves with the piece under the mirror. Or, perhaps move the table holding the fish under the mirror (but not with the fish), the glass shelves to hold the fish in its present spot, and the entry table where the glass shelves are now.

I like the new art up close. It doesn't look spooky to me, but calming and hopeful, like a fall day just before the fog lifts. Not sure of the placement over the couch as I'd like to see something a bit more colorful there. But if you like them and they look better in person, then keep them.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you guys.

lynn, the long pic i really like and it's been there since i redid the room about a year ago. i like it because the colors are somewhat bright and i like depictions of trees. really, its just a coincidence that the new ones i bought happened to be of trees. (guess i really DO like trees lol). i agree that the room is really muted and the new pics i bought is uber muted. so i am going to look for a brighter pallet. definitely will be looking around for a deal on side tables.

shady, that table under the mirror is in my hallway and i put it there just to drop my keys or pocketbook on. it is (too) small but its also narrow, not taking up too much space in the narrow entryway. Good point, though.. looks like i'll be keeping an eye out for something else to go there, too!

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia