Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dumb question- How to hang lighted wreath on door?

Posted by witmom (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 29, 08 at 8:26

I have a dumb question, that I'm sure must have an obvious answer. This year, I would like to hang lighted garland around our front door, as well as a lighted wreath on the door. I see this done frequently, but I can't figure out what to do with the cord from the wreath. I want to sweep it off to the side and out of the way, but when the door gets opened, I need enough "slack" to allow the door to swing out. Then when the door shuts, I'm going to have all of that "slack" just hanging in front of the door. Is there an easy solution to this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dumb question- How to hang lighted wreath on door?

I have seen battery powered lights used to light the wreath, eliminating the cord issue altogether.

o

We have the same problem here. We ended up hanging the wreath on the house instead. I'm curious to see what others have done.

o

You can buy little strings of battery-operated lights at Hobby Lobby (or at least I did three years ago). I haven't used them recently, but I think they take two or four AA batteries and there is an on/off switch on the battery case. Works like a charm, but you have to remember to shut them off or you'll be replacing batteries all season. I think the string is maybe 5-6' long and I used them on little topiaries I had along the sidewalk during a holiday home tour.

o

Here's what I've always done...
I hang my garland and my wreath.
Hopefully, your outlet is at the doorknob part of the door but, if it isn't this still works, you'll just need more lights.
Thread the lights through the garland so they end at the hinge side of the door.
Then, bring the lights up to the level of the wreath.
Thread the lights through the wreath.
The end of the lights (whether you use 1 string or 2) should end on the wreath.
The only connection between the wreath and the garland is at the hinge side of the door and will not be affected by opening and closing.

If you're not putting a garland around door, then just start and string your lights up to the wreath on the hinge side of the door, wrap the lights around the wreath and end them there.

Hopefully, your outlet is on the hinge side of the door.
If it isn't, just run the lights or an outdoor extension cord so that the lights start at the hinge side of the door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here