Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wedding Afghan Complete

Posted by AnnieDeighnaugh (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 8:17

For those of you who may recall, I was struggling with what color to make an afghan as a wedding gift. The consensus was so strong for ivory, that I had to go with it. Also you all said no fringe, so no fringe.

Afghan is done and I think it came out fine. I know it works as it kept me warm when I was working on it. Thank you all for your help.

Of course, now I really stepped into it....I was talking with the bride who went over board on her wedding gown and doesn't know what to do about her veil....she mentioned that she has her Mom's veil which maybe she could use, but it would need work. So I've offered to make her veil for her...using her Mom's if we can, or a new one if not. Such fun, so exciting, and anxiety forming....I don't want to screw this one up. But I love pretty things, bridal things, and I feel like I need to pay it forward as Mom worked so hard making it work for me...she made my gown, the girls dresses and her own dress, in addition to doing all the flowers for the wedding too. (I made my own veil and headpiece.) I guess I feel close to her when I do these things....I so wish she were here to enjoy it with me....rather I sew wish she were here!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wedding Afghan Complete

Annie, it indeed turned out amazingly gorgeous, you make me want to start knitting again. As for the veil, keep us posted, you'll do a fine job I'm sure !

o

What a treasure!

Very classic and timeless -- and always handy in a living room, bedroom or nursery! :)

Well done! And of course -- we'll be waiting for a photo of the wedding veil! :)

o

Beautiful. You have a lot of talent and the love and care shows . What a kind and generous gift . c

o

That's very nice and I'm sure she will love it, but even more special is your story about the veil. Your efforts on the veil will be a gift to her, both so she has the dress she wants and a veil that makes her happy, but also a piece of her mom present as well as honored in the efforts. That's just really special. Your love will make it wonderful. Enjoy every moment of it.

o

Just perfect and so classic looking and I'm sure the veil will be to.

o

That is amazing. I am sure it will become a family heirloom for the new couple.

o

Its gorgeous and versatile!

o

That is lovely!

o

That's beautiful Annie. You do wonderful work. The bride and groom should love it!

tina

o

It looks beautiful. I would use it in my home in a heartbeat, and I imagine the bride would too. :)

o

I like the afghan very much and so will the happy couple but I love more your motivation to work on the veil and make it a new creation. Your Mom will be hovering around you helping you along the way, no doubt. The bride is lucky to have a friend like you.

o

Very, very lovely.

o

I wish I could do that. And so quickly! Lucky bride.

o

So pretty and very "ethereal" looking!!! Lucky couple to receive such a lovely gift!

o

It is really lovely and I know it will be treasured by the bride.

o

What a beautiful, thoughtful, and very special gift!

o

It's a lovely, very useable gift, Annie! How lucky for the new couple! We received a very similar cream-colored, handmade afghan for a wedding gift and are still using it almost 30 years later. The cream color works well with everything. Great choice!
Lynn

o

It's gorgeous Annie! It looks so soft too, what is it made from? I'm so impressed with your skill.

o

Thank you all very much for your kind words. I really struggled to find a pattern I liked, and when I saw this one, I knew it was it and immediately stopped looking.

teacats...a nursery? Hadn't thought of that but now that you mention it...mom with babe in arms in rocking chair nestled in afghan....nice image!

o

Thanks marti8a, it's an acrylic yarn, worsted weight. I wanted to make sure that it was very washable...this is machine washable and dryable. Personally, I'd never want such a light colored afghan as I'd be afraid of getting it dirty all the time, what with me wrapped up and eating snacks in front of the TV, cat curled up on it, etc. It has a nice soft hand to it, though it's heavy...I put about 2 1/2 lbs. of yarn into it.

The other day I was watching TV, enjoying a glass of red wine...picked the glass up, but not quite high enough to accommodate the edge of the pillow I was leaning against....the pillow caught the edge of the glass and the whole glass spilled all over me! So glad I wasn't working on the afghan at the time!!!

o

Annie, you sound like such a busy and ambitious little bee! Making the young lady's veil is so very thoughtful, and you know she'll be appreciative as well as always have the memory it was made by you. You are very much your(((Mother's daughter))),so own it, girl!

As for the afghan, it turned out beautifully, and it's obvious you're very meticulous. You're very talented, Annie. ;o)

o

Beautiful, you should sell them ;-)

o

Annie, that afghan is stunning! You are a wonderful friend to this young woman. I'm sure your work on the veil will be perfect and greatly appreciated.

o

As Fun said, it is stunning!

o

Lovely, lovely, Annie!
They are going to treasure it, not just because you made it, but because it's really pretty, and timeless.

I envy your ability and your patience. This from someone who is constitutionally unable to master rhythmic, repetitive skills.

I tried to learn to knit about a hundred years ago when I decided to quit smoking. It made me so cranky I smoked more.

(But I did quit.)

o

Absolutely beautiful, Annie! What a wonderful gift!

o

This looks lovely! You are really talented and so nice to invest your time in making this for the bride.

o

Beautiful! What a lovely, heartfelt and generous gift.

o

Oh, that did turn out pretty! What pattern did you use?

I love afghans!

Nancy

o

Your beautiful gift will stand the test of time. It is truly timeless.
Diane

o

That is just so lovely, Annie. It is destined to become a family heirloom which the bride will pass on to her child some day. That sort of gift is a treasure.

o

What a beautiful afghan--I'm sure it will be something they treasure.

o

beautiful afghan. lovely.

You will do fine on the veil.

ML

o

Oh it is so pretty and looks so cozy! They will forever cherish it. I cannot wait to see the veil you make! You are so talented. Please be sure to post pics!

BTW- when my mom was alive she made afghans for many people as gifts and gave me many as well. I am so proud of them and they mean more than anything to me. There is nothing better than the love and time spent on such a gift!

o

I absolutely love it! Good for you....
Plse keep us posted on the veil.

o

Annie that afghan is just lovely, timeless and classic - I'm sure they will treasure it. What a wonderful, heartfelt gift. Can't wait to see the magic you work with the veil!

o

Thank you again for all the kind words, and your stories that this afghan has triggered for you.

springoz, the afghan is crocheted in long rows....the little holes are made with a "twisted" stitch where you skip a stitch, DC in the next st, then DC in the skipped st. I found the pattern in an old workbasket magazine....Mom collected them for years, and I never threw them out....

o

Wow! It seems like only a few days ago you were deciding on the details. I thought these things took forever and ever. What a wonderful beautiful gift!

o

It's beautiful! I just love the color and pattern and I know they will, too.

o

Lovely! And the little story about your mom was too....

o

What a lovely gift!

o

It's lovely!!
I knit....currently prayer shawls, but have knit several afghans. Crochet is so much heavier than knitting. It uses more yarn and feels...well....more substantial. A knit afhgan is soft and floaty, a crocheted one is denser and warmer.
Also a knit one (unless you choose a pattern carefully) has a right and a wrong side.....crocheted pieces, it's not so important.
That will cuddle the newly weds, cover a worn chair, snuggle with a nursing baby, comfort a sick one and provide a perfect cover for a Sunday afternoon nap.
A very special gift.
Linda C

o

In these times of cookie cutter, wedding registry gifts, yours is pure love...and beautiful, too.

o

Annie, what a beautiful gift, and such a lovely thought of your Mother! I can see why it is the perfect pattern, and you executed it beautifully! And what a lucky couple to be receiving it! I'm sure the veil will be gorgeous too, the bride stunning, and the star she should be on her day!

o

What a wonderful and thoughtful gift, that is gorgeous!

o

My cousin gave us a similar afghan in ivory, and it was truly one of my favorite wedding gifts. It is washable and comes out just fine. Now that it is cold we use it every night on the bed. Still looks great after 6 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here