Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamzona_gw

Searching for 'oxblood' red paint for buffet

jamzona
13 years ago

It really shouldn't be hard, right? I am having a heck of a time finding the right red to paint my vintage buffet. I am looking a traditional "oxblood" red. I have found some beautiful rosier reds and more orange reds but a deep, black-red is escaping me. Can anyone point me in the right direct?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Not sure I've ever seen a paint color that I would call a black red. Don't know if this is as dark as you want to go, but I wanted a deep, rustic red for my tv cabinet and did 3 step process to get this finish.

If that's in the general direction you want to go, that's a very rough (not solid, full coverage) black base with brick red painted over in the same manner then stain over that. Using your own color choices will probably get you to the look you want. Do you have a picture with the type of color/finish you want? It's easier to suggest a recipe if you do.

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Since you don't need that much (i.e. for a whole room) you may want to consider mixing your own color. For furniture, I almost never use off-the-shelf colors.

• jamzona
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dlm2000-

That's EXACTLY what I am aiming for! Love it! Do you mind sharing your recipe? How did you finish it off...poly, paste wax?

Thank you!

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

jamzona I have an album with pictures, products and step by step instruction that I made for another decorating group at that time. Let me know if you have any other questions but be patient till after Thanksgiving! Or email me through GW.

Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: TV Cabinet - How To

• Penelope
    13 years ago

Deb, this is one to bookmark! Thanks for the detailed instructions and material list. I picked up a big and solid but quite beat-up Pottery Barn coffee table from someone's trash, and have been meaning to give it some kind of paint treatment. You've given me a good inspiration!

Once all three steps were finished do you think any of the original finish still shows through? Was that your aim in not giving full coverage in the black coat?

My coffee table has some fairly deep scratches which I'll probably have to sand out, since I imagine three coats of finish would help disguise but not completely cover them.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

lovesummer I hope it helps - I'm very visual and tend to 'teach' the way I need to learn!

None of the original finish shows on my pieces and I didn't want it to show. Because the red layer was applied kind of dry brush, in some places in went over solid black, in others wispy black and in others over the original pine - so the red takes on different characteristics based on what's under it. Make sense?

My coffee table had some major scratches and dings, too. I did sand the top a bit but not a lot because it's a veneer - be sure to check yours. I truly didn't know mine was until I started working on it! This kind of paint finish hides a lot and imperfections in the wood just add to the character so don't make yourself nuts trying to create a perfect surface.

• les917
    13 years ago

Oxblood is not really a black red, but a brown red. Are you sure you want oxblood?

DLMâÂÂs paint job is wonderful, and if that is the look you are seeking, her result would be your goal!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Wow, Deb, that is some great paint job! Any chance of seeing the whole piece after the holiday? Anyway, I'm off to find ANYTHING in my house to paint red/black.
    Dee