Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Family Room Built-Ins - Hardware Help

oldbat2be
9 years ago

We have made progress and might be done by Thanksgiving :) The doors and drawers aren't on yet (just taped in place for the picture) but we're really happy with how these are turning out.

I'd like to order hardware for the drawers and doors. I was thinking a cup pull for the slab doors and either a knob of some sort or possibly even a cupboard or icebox latch on the doors.

What would you put on these? Also, what size pull (cup or otherwise) would you recommend?

Drawer: the cabinet slab front is 21"x6".
Door: (vertical) rail is 2.5" wide.

Comments (20)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Wow! Your cabinets are lovely! I like cup pulls but I think you need to go a bit more sophisticated? What finish will you be using? I used Schaub in my kitchen and could see them looking just stunning on your cabinets. I think they were called Casual Elegance. If you do use cup pulls I love the ginkgo leaf pulls from House of Antique Hardware.

• clt3
    9 years ago

I love cup pulls, but to me they say kitchen. Same for the icebox latches. I think I'd do a simple knob or pull.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I agree with the others. Your selection is of a kitchen variety. These should be of a furniture variety. You simply need 6 simple knobs. They could be in a finish to coordinate with your overhead lighting, or a simple white to not draw too much attention.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

Crystal knobs would be pretty - they are dressy and appropriate but would also blend into the background and not be distracting.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

OB2B, Here is a link to the Casual Elegance. I had planned on using all pulls in my kitchen but loved the simple knobs so much that I used them on upper cabinets over my peninsula.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schaub Casual Elegance

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Same link as above. All these knobs are less than $9 each.

I like the one with the blue insert also.

This post was edited by beverly27 on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 13:05

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Those look great! I think the simple square pillow knob would look great. I agree with the others who think cup pulls and icebox latches would be too "kitchen" in your lovely family room.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I love the knob at the upper right in Beverly's post. All those knobs would look great, but that one would really pop. Those cabinets are gorgeous!

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Funny. When I casually questioned my husband about cup pulls for the kitchen, he said they reminded him of furniture hardware because he had only seen them on desks and such. But many of you think they are kitchen hardware that looks out of place on furniture! Guess it comes down to where you are used to seeing them.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Gyr Falcon, cup pulls on desks,........I guess it depends on what century you might be referring to.

• MJ2012
    9 years ago

We bought ours at Rockler. They have a wonderful selection for you to just scan through.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Your room is turning out beautifully! Love the new cabinets.

I too love those blue knobs that beverly27 highlighted.

When I see your couch, I somehow think of small drop pulls as well.

[Traditional Pulls[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-cabinet-and-drawer-pulls-prbr1-br~t_689~s_2107) by Meridian Kitchen & Bath Fixtures Simply Knobs And Pulls

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Ooh, I hadn't thought of drop-pulls! Good thinking, Gooster :)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Or you could venture outside the box a little and check out the offerings at Anthropologie. This drawer pull is cool, and has a coordinating drop pull.

Here is a link that might be useful: drawer pulls -- look at the others they have, too!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Oh your room looks so lovely! well done.

To me, cup pulls are too utilitarian. I love utilitarian,but your sofa is dressy and sassy. I would use these:

Full disclosure: I have these in my breakfast room. I wrote a bad review. They can break off in your hand. They are essentially your grandmother's old christmas ornaments reincarnated as knobs. Now, does that make any sense at all? No. But it sure looks good doing it.

I love all the anthro hardware and have used it extensively. It all sux but they have zero competition, and I am a form over function devotee.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretties and Shinys

• MJ2012
    9 years ago

Here are the pulls we used from Rockler:
    http://www.rockler.com/amerock-blackrock-pendant-bp55274-bbr

Maybe match pulls for the drawers with knobs for the doors?

• User
    9 years ago

Your new built ins are beautiful, even in the picture one can see they have been beautifully crafted!

No recommendations for specific hardware, but I will say that not every single detail needs to be special, different / eye catching, etc. Some things in the room can just be quiet.....drawer pulls fall into that category for me. I really like that last one Beverly posted, an updated knob with some style, but not screaming for attention, iykwim.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'd hesitate to use drop pulls because I think they'll ding up the cabinets. If those cabinets won't be open and closed often, then maybe that's not an issue.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You all are the best!

Holly-kay - I love your Schaub pulls. I haven't decided on the finish yet. Thank you for the link.

clt3, Errant - I appreciate very much the feedback on the cup pulls and ice box latches.

beverly27 - You are most kind to photoshop the pull locations! The upper cabinet will not have a door; instead there will be bookshelves (so no upper knob). Thank you for the knob selection you posted. I photoshopped the blue knob because it was interesting but I didn't like how it looked. I like the idea of coordinating with the overhead lighting.

skypathway1, nini804 - I like the idea of crystal, thanks, and ordered some from Ebay yesterday. Only buying 4 knobs seems too easy... I am sure I will end up with a selection.

sjhockeyfan - thanks! Point taken about the dings. Lower right cabinet will house DS's Xboxes and our cable box, so may be opened and closed a fair amount.

gyrfalcon - I spent some time on houzz looking for cup pulls on furniture and built-ins - not too many pictures out there!!

Thanks mj2012, I had forgotten about Rockler, will check there. Your built-in is beautiful!

Gooster.... slooooooow progress, but progress all the same! I do love drop pulls but think they're better on an upper cabinet vs. drawer front and lowers. I've also been considering bail pulls and ring pulls. Need to spend some time photoshopping:)

sueb - Thank you so much for the anthropologie pull link; I had not seen those and really enjoyed them.

mtnrd - you're too funny! Buy them, write the bad review, buy more :) I love the mercury glass pull you posted, thank you for the link. I had you in mind when I designed the shelving for this - no peg holes, using sawtooth shelf support instead.

Thank you kswl - wise words. I have two elephants in this room; the overhead lighting (because of this, I need really clean lines) and the height of the room. The built-ins have made the room less tall and this wall 'wider' (equivalent of wearing a horizontally striped shirt). Sleight of hand...:)