Here are links to:

Using Design Seeds...Part I

Using Design Seeds...Part II

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Design-Seeds....Part III

o

I know color is a personal thing, and while I can appreciate the work that went into those designs, I couldn't live with any of them!

o

I do love the combination of colors. Just not necessarily those rooms. I love this Design Seeds thing you are doing Annie.
Diane

o

Thank you powermuffin.

Of course, I don't post the rooms because I like them...there are many styles I've posted which I really don't like and could never live with. This is really a color story about how one might create the color scheme in the room...paint, couches, chairs, window treatments, pillows, art, rugs, etc. They can be any style but applied in a way that brings the scheme to life and illustrates how changing balance of the predominance of color impacts the mood of the room.

o

I personally love peach, terracotta, and shades of apricot. To me they just soothe my soul!

I have loved all of your design seeds Annie. Thanks so much for taking the time to post them for us.

o

Thank cloud-swift...she got me started! And thanks for the kind words, Holly-Kay!

o

Hi Annie - Im stuck decorating around a massive burgundy leather sofa and matching chair (a compromise purchase with DH). The room is painted BM shaker beige with mostly dark accessories. I dream of lightening up the look and incorporating the color pink - an accent wall, curtains, and a bit of light blue. While I found a few design seeds, I'm having difficulty finding any decorating examples that incorporate burgundy, pink and blue - probably with good reason lol!

o

Can you tell me which design seeds you were thinking of? Can you post them here?

o

This room intensifies the blue to balance with the burgundy. Note how the colors are pulled out of the rug....perhaps you could find a carpet that will have your colors.

Or you could work with fabric to tie the space together.

(all fabrics, calico corners)

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 20:24

o

Whenever I see a soft palette, I immediately think of Phoebe Howard. However, she was featured in a recent issue of House Beautiful on color and her rooms were
very colorful.

Interesting too as in this photo, she demonstrates different ways to accessorize the same space.

o

Annie, your design seeds have me looking at changes midstream. I change out rugs for the winter, but colors you have shown made me decide to go back. The summer rug offers so many more color options. Putting down the winter rug looked very dull now. I think my norm is staying far too safe using colors in the LV.

Holly, I too am a terracotta, brick person. The coral/peach seem to show up in many of the photos and have become intrigued with it. Although in a deeper shade for me. Plus greens/teals. It would take a long walk to change these. And understand others would not want them.

Chair color in front of the bookcase ladder fits me. As you mentioned, the rooms themselves may not fit one's decor, but the use of design seeds in evolving colors breaks out schemes which would not be thought of before.

This is going to be fun to make new changes which are not my norm. The multitude of colors, plus design rooms are certainly changing my old comfort zone and tis' a good thing.

Funny to me is I'm sitting beside plastic tubs which hold winter clothes. They are a bright raspberry. Looking around, the color does fit in my room and adds interest. I can't go there....a bit too much out of the comfort zone.

Your doing a lot of work with these for us. I too appreciate your marching on with more.

o

Glad you're finding it useful Technicolor...I just enjoy looking at the colors. If I had the hand-eye coordination, I would've been a painter, but as I don't I have to find other ways to enjoy color. This has been most fun.

o

Here are the design seeds I was thinking of for the burgundy sofa room ... my apologies I'm posting them in separate threads.

o

Not from design seeds but similar concept

o

Another design seed

o

Last one - off of pinterest - not sure of the source.

o

And here's a picture of the offensive sofa and chair. The living room isn't that big and these are sized for a massive log cabin/library. They are comfortable though!

Just to summarize - I want to lighten up the look of the room and incorporate pinks and blues and am looking for design inspiration.

o

I suggest you go very light with the walls. Very bright with your fabrics. I see the color you want with the pink and burgundy is teal, or turquoise than blue. It's a beautiful color combo.

o

Thanks Annie :) I'm actually surprised looking at the colors on my smartphone vs the computer. The blues do read much greener. My concern there is that any greenish hue will bring out the red tones in the sofa.

o

You can certainly lean more blue in the color selections and that will look nice too. And the pink should help keep it from going patriotic.

You can upload your picture to PPG's website and play with the paint colors on the wall there...it works pretty well and will give you some idea of how the sofas make look against different wall colors.

o

Here's a design seed with the blue and burgundy. The rooster is just color inspiration.

While that is a very dark palette, remember you can mix that with white or tan or beige...so go light on the walls, then bring the deeper richer colors in with art and pillows and accessories. It would be very lovely. I would also get a light colored throw to put over the sofa to help break up the large expanse of burgundy.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 9:36

o

Annie, what's PPG?

o

PPG is pittsburgh paints

Here is a link that might be useful: PPG color visualizer

o

I thoroughly enjoy your contributions and your eagerness to help others. Regardless of whether one likes the rooms or not, we learn from other's knowledge and that should be appreciated. You may not be a painter Annie but you sure have the eye of an artist and that's everything in successful decor. I'm a fan, does that count? lol

o

Thanks, yaya...so sweet of you to say!

o

I do like that rooster! Those darker colors are really pretty - they make me think of a different version of jewel tones.

o

o

Blue and green can evoke so many different images for different people...primary colors...sky and trees and grass...acid brilliant blues and greens....soft shades of a coastal scene....

But how about the corrosion on a lock and key?

Note too that in her palette she chose to ignore the oranges and tans in the picture, but in the rooms, the wood tones have them occurring naturally.

o

Interesting the design seeds did not pick up the gold/subtle cream rust. But your decor did. I want the pic in my house.

o

Sometimes the compositions she uses to choose the design seeds are so beautiful you want to take them alone as art objects.

This is fun and I felt like doing one today, so I chose one that you didn't do from a few days ago Annie.

Couldn't help picking one this literal

And it's easy to find contemporary and transitional spaces decorated with a grey+Chocolate color scheme. This is a more traditional room that incorporates a bit of the grey into the browns/rusts and creams, and I think does so quite successfully

And this last one incorporates a bit of the yellow as accent - that is found in the inspiration pic but she didn't pull it into the design seed palette.

o

Interesting...you picked rooms that were more orange than red, which is in the board in the pic but not in her color selections. She picked a more rusty red.

o

BTW, some of the photos are available for sale...but they aren't just the photo...they include the palette.

o

Thanks, ADN. I like the peach rooms, and the third of the three reminds me of our family room. I think it's a good thing that I never post photos of my home here!

o

I knew that the pillows in the bedroom were much more orange, but the reds in the entrance doors read almost right on the red bar on her seed on my monitor. I'm coming to understand that the Apple monitors display color much differently than PC monitors.
In fact I opened two screens and hovered the bars of her seed almost directly on top of the Houzz pics trying to get my velvety browns and greys right.

KitchenDetective, I don't think Annie meant that the photos I chose didn't work as rooms, but it was interesting to her that I went more orange than dark red. I'm sure your rooms look beautiful, especially if you have a room decorated as that piano room is above.

But this interpretation of color vis a vis the monitor makes me seriously question the validity of asking for and offering advice based upon computer pictures. Especially those uploaded from home cameras as opposed to those professionally uploaded.

o

kd, we pull the pics from houzz.com and other websites...they aren't pics of our own homes which may look signficantly different. The pics off of houzz are done as showcases of the work of those involved and are often staged for the pictures....not how the house looks in real life.

And of course mlw is right...not that the rooms don't work or the color selections don't work...just that design-seeds chose certain elements from the inspiration picture and ignored others.

o

o

Kitchendetective, that third room is to die for! I adore peach and terracotta and apricot. I would love to see a pic of your family room!!

Annie, I just have to tell you again how much I appreciate the time you put into the design seeds. You are awesome!

o

Thanks Holly-Kay!

o

o

What a great snowman! One of my daughters loves orange. I don't think I could ever be bold enough to commit to orange kitchen cabinets but I admire those that not afraid to use color. Interesting design seed!

o

o

o

Soft tones and Phoebe Howard again. Love her stuff.

o

I know it's obvious, but still fun to play with. What does a color combo mean? It means a lot of different things to different people. For example, green and red. (It's xmas season so why not?)

o

o

Annie, I chose the colors I wanted to use in my remodel, then I went looking for a quartzite slab. I finally chose a brushed Sea Pearl quartzite. When the sealer was put on, it changed the colors on the Sea Pearl. Now I am having trouble choosing a wall paint color for the Sea Pearl. My design seeds are from coastal colors, specifically the blues and greens. I have to keep our brown leather furniture because of our dogs. (like bomber jacket brown) Kitchen cabinets, molding, doors, and end tables are medium oak. I have light oak wood floors that won't be refinished in the foreseeable future.

I do not have much natural light coming in and my paint colors keep changing based on the time of day and shadows. My kitchen, living room, dining room, and stairwell will all have to be painted the same color. That area is about 35 x 45'. I can't figure out how to paint different colors in the huge room.

The worst part is I have an enormous, ugly, native rock fireplace. It is 12' high and 14' long. The hearth is 14' x 2'. Pretty massive! We were going to take it out and redo it, but our contractor told us that the roof is supported partially by the chimney. That redo would be an expensive project for later. If ever!

So..... coastal blues and greens, brown couch, medium oak, gray from countertop, light oak floors, and who knows how many colors from the native rock fireplace which have nothing to do with coastal colors.

Design seeds were Sea Tones (8/31/13), Sea Tones (2/9/13), Color Spray (2/5/13), Coastal Tones (9/11/12), Color Sea (5/18/12).

I am trying to find a backsplash tile first before the paint color. I don't know whether to use gray as the backsplash color and a blue or green wall paint or the other way around. I really don't want gray walls though since it is one giant room. We tried gray and it looks like a hospital.

So since some of my colors are not working now, where do I go from here? Thanks for any suggestions, Peke

o

My ugly fireplace.

o

You've got both a direction (coastal) and a lot of beautiful colors to choose from in the quartzite. Not sure of the layout of your rooms, but typically, if you want to change colors, you can do it on an inside corner.

It might be helpful to see a pic of the stone fireplace.

I'd look at something like BM Iced Green which should look nice with the grays and the oak tones.

o

I will look at the Iced Green sample tomorrow.

The colors that I think would work with the Sea Pearl don't work after I paint them next to the Sea Pearl on the counter. Maybe shadows are playing a factor or the oak cabinets? No shadows on the island. The sealer also turned the counter sort of yellow-green. Not my favorite color.

Can you see the yellowish green on this picture? My camera does show real life colors. No flash was used.

o

SW colors.

o

The right side of the picture shows cabinets. The wall there is rounded. Outside corner, another outside corner going to stairwell.

o

More rounded edges. This is why I think I can only use one color. One wall of the stairwell could be kitchen color and other walls could be different. Any suggestions that I am just not seeing myself? Thank you. Peke

o

Well, it's harder, but you can break color on outside edges if you have a good painter. So, in the pic above, you can have the wall that meets the fireplace and that whole edge be a different color if you want.

You can also consider painting out the stone on the fireplace....not paint the wall, but faux finish the stones themselves, leaving the grout, to lighten the look.

The counter did go more olive so I think the color samples you have are too blue for the stone, if you're trying to match it.

In your post at 3:01, the 2nd and 4th from the left have more green in them, you might want to go with even a little more gray. And I really like the color in the last one.

You might want to repost some of this in a new thread as you may get help from others....not that many people revisit this thread thinking it's just more design seeds photos.... You might also ask the gals on the kitchen thread....there are a bunch that hang there more than here.

o

Thanks, Annie. I agree on the 2nd and 4th one. I think maybe a touch lighter though.

Thanks for your advice. I have a post on the kitchen forum too. I just loved your advice on the Design Seeds! I had never heard of them before.

Peke

o

o

Came across this luscious design-seed palette and immediately thought about that becoming the inspiration for the public areas in a home....they all go together but need not be the same color.

Kitchen

Dining

Living Room

Family Room

or

Powder Room

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 10:06

o

(sigh) I really want to incorporate pink in my decor... the thought isn't appealing to me, but every time I see it, I love it.

o

With a name like peony, not surprising!
;)

o

Love your latest design seed, it is so pretty.

o

Such a pretty and unusual color combo for spring!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here