Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acdesignsky

Even bigger tv over fireplace?

acdesignsky
11 years ago

After our current tv went bad after only 4 years, DH is finally able to get a newer, meaning bigger of course, tv for our family room. It is the only living space on the first floor. The front door opens directly in to the room which is open to the kitchen and back hall. The layout is like a shotgun or row house.

When we remodeled this time last year, we bought new furniture and rug and refreshed the entire first floor. In other words, no new furniture or changing the layout. The sectional, though not my first choice, is cozy and comfortable. It really fills the space too. I only have 3 ft from the back of it to the wall, so the sectional can't move much.

The current 42" tv is already borderline too high. If you sit on the ottoman or anyplace other than the corners of the sectional, you crane your neck. Drives me a little crazy. I think we'll end up with a 55" monster this time.

We have to redo the fireplace for this to work (shhh... don't tell DH). I am thinking if we lowered the mantle 10" or so, it will at least be at a comfortable height. We will still be too close for optimal viewing, but it may work. We can the change the trim. This is my inspiration. Wrong style, but you get the idea-

Here is our room now

Do you see any problems/issues with my idea? We'll hire out the project to a the contractor from our last redo. He's a perfectionist, so I know he can do just about anything. Lower the mantle, re-trim( scouring Houzz for more ideas), replace the travertine surround (woohoo), and....? It is a direct vent fireplace so I was thinking we could maybe recess into the bump out, buts hat happens when this tv dies?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Comments (20)

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Honestly, if the new TV is hung where the top of the current TV is now I think it will look fine.

It will be wider as well as higher as the current tv. I don't think the angle of viewing will be much different overall.

You could also just have it on its little stand on the current mantle shelf, as opposed to having it hung at all. This might actually give you a better viewing angle and be easier to manage overall.

I would live with it all a while before deciding on ripping up your beautiful space.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Pretty room. I can see lowering the tv and mantle. I'm not a fan of how the stone surround is so much higher than it is wide. The stone looks very similar to the Egyptian copper corian I have in my bath!

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

If that is a 42 inch tv now a 55 inch is going to be as a wide or wider than you fireplace isn't it? You could easily lower the mantle but I would be more concerned with the balance when you have the larger tv there. My answer to Dh would be NO we are not getting a larger tv! You have a nice serene space and the lanterns give your mantle a nice balance.

We have a 42 inch tv on our built in book case next to the fireplace. I would not want a anything larger than a 46 inch tv in my living room.

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

Agree with just sitting the larger TV on the mantle for a while and get a feel of what you can do from there.

Your fireplace opening is going to seem very small. Also agree with the layout. I'd suggest getting a metal add on to enlarge the framing of fireplace.

The tile doesn't work for me, but neither did the tile on mine when moving in. It was cheap marble tile. I probably did the unthinkable, but plastered over it with tile grout and then aged it a bit. Decided if this didn't work, would have to get rid of the tile as it was. The grout has not cracked or changed in any way. Blends in with my surround which is similar to yours. Not suggesting you do this, just suggesting there are a myriad of ways to change looks.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

My concern is you need to find out what minimum clearance the gas fireplace needs above it to run safely. You might not have any space to move the mantle down without it being a hazard. Ours required a particular amount that necessitated adding an extra row of small tiles....

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I love the inspiration photo! I would suggest working with your carpenter to come up with a design that would allow for a change of TV size in the future. If you think 55" is the max size you'll ever have in that room then you can frame for that size, but as you know, the design of TV's is ever changing! Your next 55" could be wider yet shorter!

Your optimal viewing for a 55" TV is 6'8"-12'. For viewing our 65" we sit 8' away. Just saying I don't think you're too close for the new TV.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

FYI - my 55" TV (who lives happily above my fireplace) is only actually 51" wide. Make sure you know the dimensions of the proposed TV and then make a cardboard cutout or similar to tape up in your space.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

angc, i think the fireplace in your last inspiration photo is stunning and it does a lot to allow the tv to blend into the decor. Without being able to see your whole room, I am not sure how it would work for you but I think it's definitely worth pursuing.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

If you notice in both inspiration pics, the tile surround makes the fireplace appear wider than it is, so changing your tile would make quite a difference.

You need to know actual measurements of the TV you plan to buy before you can determine what will fit where. 55" isn't the actual width of the TV since screen size is measured on the diagonal. A 55" Sony isn't going to be the same size as a 55" Panasonic.

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

Love the dark fireplace inspiration picture. That works beautifully with the larger tv! Hope to see your finished room soon.

rt

• graywings123
    11 years ago

The current 42" tv is already borderline too high. If you sit on the ottoman or anyplace other than the corners of the sectional, you crane your neck. We will still be too close for optimal viewing . . .

So you are going to make these changes and still have all the problems you do now. Meanwhile, you have room on at least one side of the fireplace to put a table or cabinet and put the TV on that, or make a built-in cabinet lower than the fireplace with a swing arm for the TV. Tweaking the furniture, such as removing a piece of the sectional, might be less expensive than what you plan to do with the mantle.

I will be so glad when the TV-over-fireplace trend dies.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I'm of the opinion a tv placed over a fireplace is not my idea of 'decorating'. Not a trend I would *ever* buy into.

It's ok to have one in a room that's on the formal side, just not be seen, especially so blatantly. ;o)

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I am not sure any of us thinks a tv over the fireplace (or any place) is "decorating".. but we must design around the way we live. A home isn't a stage for a magazine spread but it's where we live and spend time with our families and loved ones. Much as I'd love to skip a tv in the main living space, I'd be the first in my house to miss it! Finding ways to incorporate a tv with minimal impact to our decor is the decorating challenge.

• peegee
    11 years ago

Nicely said, funkyart! I've decided to *embrace* my tvs and not try to pretend they're not part of my life, although I did go completely without tv for about a year years ago. If I had a fireplace my tv would likely be purposely placed there; if the placement and height work/is comfortable...love the inspiration photos! And Angc, your woodwork is gorgeous!!! Good luck!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Not for anything but am I the only one who's neck hurts looking up like that?

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think we can all agree that tv over fireplace is not the best idea. I am planning to lower the mantle at least 10". That will lower the tv probably closer to 20" since it is mounted several inches above the mantle now. That shoud take care of the sore neck issue. It does get uncomfortable when sitting in certain spots now.
    I think of the tv like any other appliance. I am trying to work around it as attractively as possible. It is our home, not a showroom. Thanks funkyart for that affirmation!
    We're looking for televisions over the next couple of weeks. I would like to find one as simple and streamlined as possible. You're right that a 55" tv won't be 55" wide. Once we find the right set, we can sit it on the mantle while we plan the mantle and surround.
    I love our trim and woodwork. The builder did an really incredible job. This room is a little too done though. I look forward to simplifying the fireplace area a bit. I like the traditional lines in the inspiration photo a lot. I had already figured out the right paint color (BM Caldwell Green) last year.
    Thanks so much for everyone's input!

• lyfia
    11 years ago

I would be careful about putting the TV on the mantel although it looks like it has good support from your pic it may not be enough to hold the weight.

I think the gray surround inspiration would definitely help make the TV disappear more. Looks like you could potentially put something to cover it when not in use if you wanted as well. Although it wouldn't be used in my own house so take it for what it's worth.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

A couple of things. Your FP is so pretty, I wouldn't lower the mantel. Even if the TV came down 10", it will still be too high for comfortable viewing.

I DO love the green FP in your inspiration picture though, I would do that in a heartbeat!

I looked at your other pictures and noticed the room is all seating. If you have a large family then ignore what I'm going to say. :) You have plenty of room in there for a nice console to put the TV on, but you'd have to take out some of the sectional.

As someone who didn't have a FP or mantel until 4 years ago, I really love decorating the mantel for the seasons, even though I'm lousy at it!

My vote is to leave your beautiful FP alone except to paint it if you wish, and find a place on the floor for a console/TV. This would also save a lot of money & make your room a bit more airy and open.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We're just a family of 4, but 2 tall adults and 2 teenagers take up a lot of seating! Right now we almost have a 70's style "pit group" setup. It's kind on overwhelming, but we love it comfortwise. Compromises, compromises. Down the road, we can spilt up the sectional or put it in the basement. I tend to keep decorations pretty minimal, but love furniture (can't you tell)
    Quick update and another question-
    DH ordered the TV. It is a 55" LCD and due to be delivered Fri. It is 50.2 x 30.2 inches. I think that it will be ok scale-wise. At least it's very thin and has a slim profile.
    The code requires 12" clearance from combustibles, thus explaining the tall skinny layout of the surround. So, I can't lower the mantle unless to do it in stone (not in the budget).
    That leaves me with changing the tile and painting the area, for now. I do want to re-trim above the mantle, but not for a couple of months. I was also thinking of adding a fireplace screen in black iron. Would that look silly on a gas fireplace? After all, no logs and no embers. It is purely decorative. I like this one-