Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferne59

Blinds to plain

Jenniferne59
9 years ago

Yikes. We special ordered these blinds to fit these windows. They weren't exactly cheap and it took 2 months to get them. After we hung them we wished we would of gone with more color. Any ideas how to warm up this wall?

Comments (24)

• allen456
    9 years ago

You could hang a horizontal piece of artwork over the doors. If it was me, I'd opt for something sculptural rather than a painting.

• Jenniferne59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heres another pic.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Paint the trim around the doors and windows a different color.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

For example

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Will they always be down? if you have a pretty view, simply raising them should help.

ML

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or another

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Iron Gate

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SW Saddlestitch

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

If you paint that trim, I think you'd have to paint it all. Personally, I don't think two different color trims look right.

Just want to add, I think they look nice as is, too.

This post was edited by shadylady2u on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 10:57

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I like them. Not everything needs to make a statement. A decorator once asked me "Do you want it to stand out or just disappear? In this case your eyes will travel around the room and just keep going.
    I am wondering though, why didn't you want to use the same print you used on the other window?

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

I think the new blinds look great. Could it be that you're just not quite used to them yet? I wouldn't try to camouflage them with artwork or painting - I'd just live with them and appreciate them for the functional, simple beauties that they are.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

the painting makes them pop more. I think the problem is that they just totally blend in with the white trim and blinds on the doors.

If you don't want to break up the trim, you can always do it like this. But I think the darker trim color makes them look great.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

A nice, colorful large rug over there will probably help as well.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think they look fine, as is. It looks like you have a fair amt of color elsewhere in the room. While I like what Tibbrix did, I don't think I'd change the trim in only part of the house, but you could paint just the doors a different color, leaving the trim white.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

windows and doors painted

• loves2read
    9 years ago

You have many colors competing in that room--
    there is the large picture on the wall across that has what looks like purple/blue/black...
    you have a figured blind on window on that wall which looks like birds(?) on it in bright colors--
    you have green and blue cushions on the couch that are visible when you stand where you took the photo--
    I think you need to simply color choices and integrate the white of the blinds more---
    Consider taking the cushions off the couch and adding some in different sz/shape--not all same sz--that have design/print but with some white to match the new blinds==not just all white though...
    I think painting the trim could make the room more harmonious--but you have to choose the right color--

• catkin
    9 years ago

I like Olychick's idea of the painted door (only the door). Also might you hang something simple yet decorative above so the eye has another place to go?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think the problem with painting only the door is that it doesn't resolve the original problem, which is that the roman shades look blah, and I think the reason they do is because they blend in with the trim. Painting just the doors would help because it would move away from the big white swath on that wall, but I think also painting the trim on the windows would really make your custom blinds shine.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I would not change a thing. I like them. You have other things going on in your room and I don't think you need to add more.

• Jenniferne59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We got a little book that had the fabric in it. This is how we tried to pick out the fabric for the blinds. My husband picked out the kitchen blinds. I personally thought they would be to loud but when they came in I loved them. Sorry to say I picked out the living room blinds. It was to late to change the living room order to the same as the kitchen. I am actually thinking of putting up a dark grey curtain and just having it drape across the light colored blind.

• voila
    9 years ago

Before you hang curtains, can you just dye the blinds? Contact the sellers with your dilemma. See what they have to say.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

You have two unrelated window treatments in the same room.

Simplest fix: tailored box valances in the bird print over the windows.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I'd paint just the doors and leave the trim the way it is. You could, in addition, put something sculptural above the doors as someone suggested. That way the attention would be drawn away from the blinds that are kind of blah anyway.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Are the birds a window? I thought they were art?
    Maybe add trim, but I really think they are good as is. I'd add some pillow sin that color that have some texture, e.g. knitted or faux fur.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?