Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Slightly OT....selling art

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

My cousin is a very talented artist and he's looking for an online place to post his art for sale. Any suggestions besides something like ebay? Is there a place on line where people go to seek art/artists? He's posted his stuff on deviant art.com which is probably not something that comes to mind first. He also has posted on facebook, but that's not really sales oriented....any suggestions would be most welcome.

Comments (11)

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Etsy is the only place that comes to mind. It's not an auction place, but can be pretty crowded in terms of what is for sale.

For giggles, he might want to visit regretsy to see what NOT to do ;)

I have struggled to find art I like online. Somehow I don't think it's a good medium for art purchases, I think I need to see the piece in person to really feel anything about it. At least, I am guessing that is what's missing for me.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

he should look at

artspan.com

it's an established site, I used to frequent the forums there when I had a gallery
    5 years ago.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks EC and mitch, I'll pass the info on....

• woodsy_1
    11 years ago

EngineerChic, CF4L!!!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Wetcanvas.com is a site for artists to share critiques etc but also sell. It's free.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, yayagal, I'll let him know.

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

Blogs are becoming so popular, perhaps consider starting one with his art and discussions on their meaning to him. Many sell their items and link to other blogs. He could do both . I'm intrigued with all available on blogs and how many have been advertised or shown in magazines. He might run a search on art blogs and see what comes up.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Another popular site is www.20x200.com.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I saw a story on the news where artists supply their art to places where you can rent art. I don't know how someone becomes involved with this, though. It seemed interesting because the artist they interviewed said his works get so much more exposure that way.

People can either rent the art temporarily and change it out every few months, as a trial in their home, and they can get a credit towards purchase.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks technicolor....I don't know if he's explored blogs or not....

Writersblock, I've not heard of that one....I'll let him know.

gscience chick, renting art would be interesting...I did try borrowing art from the library for my office for awhile, but the problem was hanging it correctly as the different pieces are different sizes.

Thanks every one for all the suggestions...I'll pass them along....I should've asked sooner as, when I was looking for art for our library, I could've browsed all these sites.

• pommy_girl
    11 years ago

This is where a lot of artists I know sell their work fineartamerica.com

I haven't tried it myself (I use Facebook and my (soon to be) blog), but I have heard good things. As much as I detest Facebook, I have to admit, I have had some good success with selling on there.