Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jesemy_gw

Fabric Advice Needed--Pics

jesemy
16 years ago

I mistakenly posted this on the Kitchen forum yesterday--duh! Anyway, I received to small Wingback chairs from my MIL for my family room that I would like to reupholster but can't figure out the direction I should go. I don't want to break the bank--any fabric suggestions?

Thanks,

Nancy

Here is one of the chairs and pictures of the rest of the room:

Comments (13)

• eaglesgal
    16 years ago

Your room is beautiful! I think a nice soft gold that matches the detail on your sofa cushions would be lovely!

• cattknap
    16 years ago

I like the idea of blue and white toile, blue and white ticking, blue and white check

• les917
    16 years ago

I think I would stay away from too much blue, but at the same time I think you need strong color on those chairs to balance the presence of the blue couch, and also because they are sitting in front of the white bookcase wall.

I like this one from housefabrics.com
    6 gold

{{!gwi}}

As for not breaking the bank with the cost, I don't know if you are referring to the cost of the fabric, or of reupholstery as a whole. Generally people seem to find that the whole cost of reupholstering (if you have to pay someone to do it) is about the price of buying a new chair.

If that is too pricey, there is always a ready-made cover from a place like surefit.com
    wing chair covers (3 pages)

or there is todoes.com, which which people seem to be very pleased.

wing chair covers

Lovely room!

• cattknap
    16 years ago

I disagree about the blue. The room is beautiful and fairly monochromatic which makes it look subtly rich. The chairs are against a large white background - a blue print - even a paisley with blue would be beautiful and restful on the eye...I just don't see throwing another color in that room.

• cattknap
    16 years ago

I do like that first fabric Les.

• jesemy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I am partial to gold myself.

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

Les that is a nice fabric.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I don't see the room as a "blue and white room" at all. Blue and white china can be added as accents to rooms of many different colors and I think she needs a color to liven things up. Everything is a bit staid right now. An emerald green print of some sort would be my first choice.

• kim2007
    16 years ago

I love wingback chairs and those are very classic! Tell you what, if you find choosing a fabric far too stressful, I'll take one (or both!) off your hands!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Blue toile. I used to have a sofa done in that same fabric as yours. It makes me sad to think my neighbor now has it and loves it and so do I. I wish I had it back. :) She invited me to spend the night with her recently when DH was out of town and bad weather was afoot. She even promised I could sleep on my sofa if I wanted to.

• pahance
    16 years ago

I would choose a white or ivory matelasse with a blue and white needlepoint or toile throw pillow. I think that would be perfect.

Here is a pretty white matelasse fabric from the same source Les used.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

I vote for gold. The room looks "important" to me, and some lovely rich gold chairs would look really amazing. Or how about a gold background with blue diamond print? If you did go with gold, I might rethink the white wall they rest in front of, although I'm not sure what color that might be. Something rich but subtle. Well... I don't know, but there are some on here who could help you with paint color! :o)

Beautiful room. I especially like your shelving unit behind the gorgeous blue couch. Great contrast.... looks really nice, and very elegant. I would half expect to see a visiting dignitary taking tea on your sofa. Very nice!!

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

NOW I looked at Les' suggestion (because I think she has excellent taste, so I couldn't pass up seeing what she found).

So, can I change my vote? I vote for the one Les posted first. It's gorgeous! I think it would be perfect. And then how about a nice green on the wall, to set everything off?

Yummy.... what a fun room to work with. I don't think you can go wrong! Again... lucky you!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County